D&D 5E Can you use misty step to arrest a fall?

Norton

Explorer
I would probably subtract half the damage fallen prior to casting if a PC misty-stepped back up from the bottom right before hitting. Seems the correct "cancel out". If I wanted to make it trickier, I might ask for a DEX save prior to doing so since the timing would have to be perfect. Adding skill checks and saves to actions is something I do to make the impossible possible so as not to be decided only after an hour's worth of rules lawyering.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Probably due to lack of proof on your part. You have repeatedly in threads issued a declaration or veeeeery subjective and creative interpretation and then declared to be fact. It's not.

And again, you offer no proof, whereas I've given you all the details from the RAW. So prove it according to RAW, since it is what matters to you. I have given you many quotes to back my claim, not please show me something more than your own personal interpretations.

What is there to perceive? That he glanced your way. That he's looking at you? Those aren't proof of impending attack. By the time he draws back the bow aimed your way or starts his swing, he's in phase three and only the attack roll is left to conclude the beginning of the attack.

In any case, it's perceivable so you can interrupt it and teleport away. That is the exact purpose of an interruption. And you have consistently failed to prove that the attack sequence cannot be interrupted, whereas I have given you two proofs that it can.

So two things. First, Shield very specifically UNWINDS the attack.

This is a pure invention from you. Prove it. Shield, a first level spell, is travelling back in time? Simply ridiculous. And Deflect Missile also winds back time ? Come on...

It does not interrupt it. The attack roll and hit have already happened, but the casting of the spell backs that up to prior to the hit and perhaps turns it into a miss.

Again, you are not reading the ready action properly. it INTERRUPTS whatever is happening on the other guy's turn. There is no limit to what it can interrupt, again, specific beats general, just as shield and deflect arrow does.

Second, Ready specifically does not do that, so even if you want to think that Shield interrupts the attack between the beginning the attack during the resolve the attack phase and the hit or miss, Ready says that you have to wait for the attack to be over.

It says nothing of the kind. Once more, you are inventing RAW. EVERYTHING YOU SAY is pure speculation on your part and totally unsupported by RAW. Please read the books.

So you're wrong on both counts.

I'm sorry, but you backed down on counterspell, you backed down on Misty Step, so so far I don't see that I've been much wrong so far. The RAW does not say what you think it says, you have consistently failed to provide even a single sentence backing up any of your claims, whereas I have given you plenty, in particular:
  • "First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction." It does not have to be an action, just winding up for a strike is sufficient. Even "about to get hit" is sufficient actually. All these are perceivable, there is no way you can win this.
  • Nothing in "making an attack" suggests that it cannot be interrupted. If you think it can't, you will have to prove it.
  • "If the reaction interrupts another creature's turn, that creature can continue its turn right after the reaction." So it clearly interrupts what is happening, whatever it is, there is no "unless it concerns an attack which cannot be interrupted..."
  • And actually, I have given you two cases of interruption which are RAW, and please don't claim that Deflect Missiles which is not even magical winds back an attack or travels in time.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In any case, it's perceivable so you can interrupt it and teleport away. That is the exact purpose of an interruption. And you have consistently failed to prove that the attack sequence cannot be interrupted, whereas I have given you two proofs that it can.
Yes, resolving the attack is perceivable and you can interrupt the rest of his turn as soon as the attack resolves with a hit or miss.
This is a pure invention from you. Prove it. Shield, a first level spell, is travelling back in time? Simply ridiculous. And Deflect Missile also winds back time ? Come on...
Read the spell. It happens AFTER the hit. That explicitly is not an interruption BEFORE the hit. And you accuse me of bad faith.
Again, you are not reading the ready action properly. it INTERRUPTS whatever is happening on the other guy's turn.
After the trigger finishes dude.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Yes, resolving the attack is perceivable and you can interrupt the rest of his turn as soon as the attack resolves with a hit or miss.

No, resolving the attack is a purely technical process that is NOT perceivable. Unless of course your PCs see giant dices roll in the sky, which would not surprise me in your campaign considering your views...

However, thanks for confirming that the problem is that you have such a technical vision of the game that someone swinging a sword at you is only an attack sequence (which can still be interrupted, as demonstrated time and time again). And you have again failed to prove that I can't use even the start of a swing to trigger an interrupt, so once more, RAW : "First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction." Is swinging a sword a perceivable circumstance, yes or no ? Should be a very simple answer...

Read the spell. It happens AFTER the hit. That explicitly is not an interruption BEFORE the hit. And you accuse me of bad faith.

And here you go, just shows ou have not even read the attack sequence in the PH. Is the hit the end of the attack sequence ? Please think carefully about your answer...

But at least, you have dropped the silly line of "deflect arrow winding back time", so again, why can't a misty step reaction do exactly what a simple deflect missile does and prevent a hit ?

After the trigger finishes dude.

This does not even make the smallest bit of sense, why don't you try posting bits of the RAW that support your claim (although I know why you don't) ?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I disagree, taking on a fantasy world perspective can certainly lead to at least, if not more interesting gaming, and it does not have to lead to bizarro world.

So what ? It's not the players who are living there, it's their characters.

The problem is that for example something like gravity does not work like in our real world, as it includes spelljammer gravity which is notably different (and in 5e, thanks to Dungeon of he Mad Mage).

Furthermore, there are good reasons to doubt fundamental physics. There is an elemental plane of air which provides the air on the worlds. It is an elemental plane of (O2 21% / N2 70% / Ar 0.9% / etc.) ? No, it's a plane full of the stuff of air, and therefore the air that adventurers breathe is the air element, which is elemental. Same when you produce a fireball, it cannot be a physical combustion, it requires no comburant and does not suck out the air to produce CO2 (as an example). It's just stuff from the elemental plane of fire personified.

I really suggest reading Brandon Sanderson's "The Stormlight Archives", you will see a fantasy world with its own physics and metaphysics, very logical, but which functions on different principles, and it's as good a basis for a fantasy world as our own.

For the sake of simplicity, you are welcome to make the hypothesis above, but please realise that it's not that simple, and that it cannot be forced upon others since there is clear evidence to the contrary.

Also, most of the questions that you are asking probably have the same answer as the real world, but they are completely trivial and unlikely to lead to interesting gaming. However, considering a completely different perspective, in particular about elements, and plane, and metaphysics can make your game more magical and interesting.
I think you need to re-read my intro more carefully. I said "not in the lore".

Of course most D&D games have thousands of fantastic elements. Dragons fly. Giants don't collapse under their own weight. Elemental planes. Slugmen. That's great.

.... but chickens lay eggs, wood floats and so does ice, humans grow older with time... and there are millions of such examples. The ratio of "reality" to "fantasy" is quite high... but it doesn't feel that way, because we don't tend to notice the ordinary, it's the extraordinary that sticks out.

Of course, ANY of the "normal" examples above could be changed in a particular D&D campaign. Perhaps in your game humans claw themselves out of the grown, slowly become healthier, start shrinking... and if you want that, that's fine! And as a GM, it is your job to tell the players things that their players would know but they don't. If, for example, ice is heavier than water in your game, almost everyone who grew up in a cold or temperate environment would know this. But the players don't (that's why I made that "grow up in the world" comment), so you have to inform them and remind them. We all know that the sun rises in the east, but if it rises in the north in your world, the PCs would have that same ingrained knowledge, but the players might forget.

To be able to interact with the world, the players need to understand it to some degree. And for a lot of things that are mundane, reality is a pretty useful guide - we know it works, and we know - mostly - how it works. If the players can't make basic assumptions about the world, then they become very uncertain and hesitant, like very small children who don't know anything. (yes, some small children who don't know anything are not hesitant at all, and they break stuff and hurt themselves. )

I invite the readers to ponder the saga of "how far can a torch be seen".

Remove ads