Boots of Stringing and Striding with FLY

Magic Rub

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

Not if you read the next sentence too.

What this... ?

Expeditious retreat provides you with amazing fleetness of foot, enabling you to run in great leaps and bounds. Your
speed and maximum jumping distances both double (see the Jump skill, page 70). These benefits count as
enhancement bonuses.
This spell can be used for attack as well as for flight; the name of the spell hints at the typical wizard’s attitude
toward combat.

???:(

I thought "flight" was running away as well. It's the typical wizard’s attitude toward combat. I don't think this (or the boots)works on flying. Expeditious retreat provides you with amazing fleetness of foot, enabling you to run.

Artoomis

First Post
Both ER and the boots double your movement rate.

The intent seems to be to double your land-based movment, but strict reading leaves you with all movement rates doubled.

The last discussion on this topic, IIRC, came to the conclusion that all natural forms of movement should be doubled - that is, if you can fly because you have wings, then you fly twice as fast, if you use a Fly spell, you don't.

Of course, the rules just say your movement rate is doubled, with some text that no more than hints that they meant walking, not flying or swimming.

The "flight" reference in ER is clearly "flight" as in running away. Thinking that refers to flying is really using your imagination.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
I'm with Artoomis here. The SRD version of ER does away with all the fluff text about fleetness of foot, etc. It just states speed. I would allow it to double all natural movement rates.

IceBear

Artoomis

First Post
gamecat said:
Boots of stringing? Do these possess spools of endless cotton string?:)

Your choice of red is hard on the eyes. On these black background pages, the default of white is truly the best, with some color (yellow, maybe) used occasionally.

Just a little free advice.

Magic Rub

First Post
I agree a bonus to all nat. movement, Fly (with wings), swim, & walk (run) ect ect ect.

Not on the fly spell, I should have made that clear.

JLXC

First Post
Double Natural Speed = Yes.

Double a Spells Movement Rate = NO, unless said spell makes Wings on you, or fins, etc.

hong

WotC's bitch
JLXC said:
Double Natural Speed = Yes.

Double a Spells Movement Rate = NO, unless said spell makes Wings on you, or fins, etc.

D00d, you need to work on your whitewashing technique.

Corwin

Explorer
I also rule it as doubling all natural movement rates.

I recently had a black dragon snatch a PC and fly off to eat him. When the PCs tried to persue, the dragon cast ER and took off at rediculous speeds (a speed of 400 is wicked :)).

BTW, yes, the PC died. Poor fighter. Didn't stand a chance. Dragon's should be against the law. What nasty buggers they are. ;) Hehe

The_lone_gunman

First Post
The way I look at it, the Fly spell simply gives you the ability to Fly at 90, regardless of what else you have (if your speed on land is 120, and you cast fly, you can now fly at 90, not 120.) The spell enables you to move at 90 (assuming a light load), it does not, IMO, SET your movement factor to 90. Thus, even though Exp Retreat doubles your movement rate, it would NOT affect you movement rate given by the Fly spell, because it doubles your actual movement rate, and not the special ability given by the fly spell. If you can naturally fly with wings or some other way (such as a beholder), I would allow it to double it.

Just my 2 cp.

TLG

Remove ads