Boots of Stringing and Striding with FLY

prophet

First Post
Question:
Does the Boots of Striding and Springing double yor speed if you are flying?

Just recently I had this figured out to be yes, but lost all my documentation on supporting this.

Can anybody help me with support from the core rule books or such?

Thank you,
prophet

Taloras

First Post
I believe this was settled as a clear No. Why? In the description of the boots, it mentions "this striding ability". Striding means walking or running. Neither of which you are doing when flying.

Crothian

First Post
I agree. When you modify a speed it is always the walking speed except if it says otherwise. Least that's how I run things.

Killian

First Post
Place the enchamnet Walking on air instead of Fly on the boots and you should be able to move a doulble your normal spped in
the air at the same price as fly.:) :)

laiyna

First Post
exact rules:

Expeditious Retreat:
The character's speed and maximum jumping distances both double. These benefits count as enhancement bonuses.

Boots of Striding and Springing:
The wearer of these boots moves at double her normal speed. In addition to this striding ability, these boots allow the wearer to make great leaps. She can jump with a +10 competence bonus to Jump checks, and the wearer’s jumping dis­tance is not limited by her height.

If you read closely and exactly you will notice that it doubles your speed. There is no "walking" or other description. So it will double also your fly speed and your swim speed. I could even make a belt and give it the same abilities with an other name "belt of fast movement" and it would have the same effect.

All other things mentioned in this forum are not official rules but house rules.

have fun,

Laiyna

AGGEMAM

First Post
PHB, page 202

Expeditious Retreat provides you with amazing fleetness of foot, enabling you to run in great leaps and bounds. Your speed and maximum jumping distances both double ... This spell can be used for attack as well as flight

And

From the SRD

Jump

The subject gets a +30 bonus on Jump checks

Compared to

From the SRD

Boots of Striding and Springing

The wearer of these boots moves at double her normal speed. In addition to this striding ability, these boots allow the wearer to make great leaps. She can jump with a +10 competence bonus to Jump checks, and the wearer’s jumping dis­tance is not limited by her height.

Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, expeditious retreat, jump; Market Price: 2,500 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

So what the boots grants is continious ER and (underpowered) Jump spells. And since ER works with flight, the boots should as well.

Last edited:

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
Expeditious Retreat provides you with amazing fleetness of foot, enabling you to run in great leaps and bounds. Your speed and maximum jumping distances both double ... This spell can be used for attack as well as flight
i've always thought their use of "flight" in this instance meant "running away".

Last edited:

Remove ads