D&D 1E Best 1e AD&D artist?

Who was the best AD&D artist?

I think I'll have to go with Easley here, though my judgement might be coloured by his later work (especially the iconic 2e PHB). And I think his paintings of undead might also be of 2e origin. Specifically having this one in mind.
1701885052517.png

That being said, I do like Otus' and Elmore's work quite a bit, too.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I voted for Erol Otis

But I do have to say that both Trampier's and Elmore's masterful cartooning does not get enough credit but is evident in Wormy and SnarfQuest (whatever else you think about their actual stories and characterizations). As someone who did a great amount of comics scholarship, I was amazed when I recently went back and started doing my review of my Dragon Magazine collection and paid close attention to those comic features in the back.

I think I'll have to go with Easley here, though my judgement might be coloured by his later work (especially the iconic 2e PHB). And I think his paintings of undead might also be of 2e origin. Specifically having this one in mind.
View attachment 337459

That being said, I do like Otus' and Elmore's work quite a bit, too.

I'm not as big a fan of his dragons, but Easley's undead are absolutely perfect. Give him a skeleton or lich, and he nails it every time.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I voted for Erol Otis

But I do have to say that both Trampier's and Elmore's masterful cartooning does not get enough credit but is evident in Wormy and SnarfQuest (whatever else you think about their actual stories and characterizations). As someone who did a great amount of comics scholarship, I was amazed when I recently went back and started doing my review of my Dragon Magazine collection and paid close attention to those comic features in the back.
What nearly all of these great artists have in common is that most of their work depicts depicts characters and/or monsters doing something. Too many art pieces in more recent editions are essentially poses, showing off the kind of cool character you can make, as opposed to the cool things you can do.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What nearly all of these great artists have in common is that most of their work depicts depicts characters and/or monsters doing something. Too many art pieces in more recent editions are essentially poses, showing off the kind of cool character you can make, as opposed to the cool things you can do.
I've heard this before, and I'm not sure I entirely buy it. I mean, Larry Elmore is the king of poses rather than capturing an action. I mean, outside of the Basic cover, all of his iconic art is just people standing around. Don't get me wrong, I love Elmore, but I don't think this "art nowadays is just poses" is accurate.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Seriously? Easley was pretty much TSRs go-to guy for 1e book covers starting with Monster Manual II, including the core 3 reprints.
You are right! I was going from my own recollection, which I stopped around 1983/84 or so. So to me the covers are PHB: Trampier (The.Most.Iconic.Cover.Ever); Monster Manual I: David Sutherland III; DMG: Also DS3. And then all the modules I own - very few if any that I own have the more "realistic" stylings of Easley, Parkinson, or Elmore et al.

I always forget that AD&D 1e went all the way to 1988. For me it ended in 1984...

Remove ads