Everything's Fine
[updated this to discuss 1st Ed AD&D art]

Share your favorite Classic D&D art!
1701751888365.png

1701752059957.png

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given the apparent parameters of early 1E implied by the choices in the poll, Erol Otis by a country mile. Love Dave Trampier's work, as well, and a lot of these folks produced some memorable stuff. But Erol Otis is an inimitable original.

I do prefer the late 1E and early 2E art, though.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Going against the grain and going with someone who doesn't get enough credit: Jim Holloway. Why? Because in a decade of cheese, Jim was the only artists who kept it real. What I mean by that, is that he figures he drew and painted looked like an actual adventurer would look like, in a scenario where they would actually find themselves. His figures didn't wear cheesecake armor, and they didn't look like they all stepped out of fashion show runway. And they weren't all in heroic poses.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
It's funny, because I stopped playing AD&D around 1984 (when I moved to college). Later D&D had Parkinson and Elmore et al - what I would call more realistic / less cartoony style art. And I appreciate it, but it doesn't say AD&D to me. It says AD&D 2e to me, which was a much slicker product in all dimensions (including the removal of devils and demons).

So that's what informed my choices provided.

Maybe I should update this thing to be 1e, instead of AD&D (my brain always says AD&D == 1e, with no headspace for 2e). Or maybe people can just write it in here...

Remove ads