D&D 1E Best 1e AD&D artist?

Who was the best AD&D artist?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
see my post above. Please remove Darlene's last name. She legally dropped that name back in 1984.

On a side note, I'm really surprised to see Otus leading this poll. Not because I don't like him, but because he really didn't do that much for 1e outside of a few modules and Deities and Demigods. Did you know that of the 3 main core AD&D 1e books, he only has one image in all three? (the DMG, wizard getting shot in the face by a lich).
He's got some great stuff in Rogues Gallery.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
see my post above. Please remove Darlene's last name. She legally dropped that name back in 1984.

On a side note, I'm really surprised to see Otus leading this poll. Not because I don't like him, but because he really didn't do that much for 1e outside of a few modules and Deities and Demigods. Did you know that of the 3 main core AD&D 1e books, he only has one image in all three? (the DMG, wizard getting shot in the face by a lich).

I think his most iconic work is from B/X. Just like Bill Willingham.
Only nerds know the difference between B/X and 1E. :p

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine

I think his most iconic work is from B/X. Just like Bill Willingham.
Can't edit the entries once they are on there.

Erol Otus was all over Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and Barrier Peaks
Bill Willingham's art graces the cover of Secret of Bone Hill, and maybe the Slavers series?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
TIL Darlene's old last name. Sorry I set her dead name in stone in this poll :(

I also love her art. This cover - wow

1701845761645.png

And of course the map

1701845822228.png

The Soloist

Adventurer
For AD&D, Trampier without a doubt. He did the iconic PHB cover and the DM screen. His lizardman is still awesome today. He drew so many other iconic monsters in the MM and was also a great cartoonist.

For me, Otus is the Basic and Expert artist.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Sorry, Erol, but with Jeff Easley now on the list, I'm going with him. When they redid the 1e core book covers, they absolutely picked the right guy to set an impression.

Remove ads