• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 Hates Religion (Spoilers)

niklinna

satisfied?
You may have just extinguished any remaining question I had about whether I might actually, possibly, enjoy this game. Thanks!

Rystefn

Explorer
Or, y'know... just go to heaven and mooch. The Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia are one Plane Shift away!
For real. If you worship Sune, Sharess, Lliira, or Tymora, you go to the best afterlife in all of fiction. Or... you can skip that bit and just go to Brightwater in person while you're alive. Same great party, no need to suck up to the gods about it. Harder to get a ticket, but still easier than all this "Let's kill Ao" stuff.

niklinna

satisfied?
... sorry?

Or... happy to help?

It's a really good game, honestly. I just noticed this weird thing about it.
Well, I keep hearing how great the game is, but then whenever I hear anything about the story, I'm left cold with disinterest. I've been tired for years now of games & stories where the whole world is in danger and some Ultimate Sacrifice is necessary to avert the apocalypse—especially one that defies the logic of the setting or setup. Maybe some of the 17,000 or so endings I hear about don't require that to "win", though!

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
For real. If you worship Sune, Sharess, Lliira, or Tymora, you go to the best afterlife in all of fiction. Or... you can skip that bit and just go to Brightwater in person while you're alive. Same great party, no need to suck up to the gods about it. Harder to get a ticket, but still easier than all this "Let's kill Ao" stuff.
I meeeeean...

Is it really THAT HARD to get to go to Sharess' domain whether you've got an invitation or not? They probably won't even realize you're not supposed to be there once you're fully immersed in the goings on in that place.
Well, I keep hearing how great the game is, but then whenever I hear anything about the story, I'm left cold with disinterest. I've been tired for years now of games & stories where the whole world is in danger and some Ultimate Sacrifice is necessary to avert the apocalypse—especially one that defies the logic of the setting or setup. Maybe some of the 17,000 or so endings I hear about don't require that to "win", though!
There's really only one sacrifice that is "Needed" to win. Orpheus has to die. Everyone else gets to have a happily ever after if you play your cards right!
Shame me? I'm not the one coming out of a well with no pants on.
Under your clothes you're just as naked as the rest of us! Down with the tyranny of having to wear pants!

free-yourself-from-the-tyranny-of-pants-v0-58t0mcwdrzda1.png

Vaalingrade

Legend
to be fair, 'the gods are awful and you shouldn't give them time of day except the lady that makes magic a sexy-man contest because she is literally necessary for the Fantasy part to happen for some reason' is baked into FR, not BG3 specifically.

Rystefn

Explorer
Yeah, there aren't 17,000 endings. There are like half a dozen with like half a dozen potential romances modifying that one of a couple of ways each, and then a bunch of minor things that might get referenced in some way near the end that they multiplies together to come to that number. And no, you're right. The ending is incredibly weaksauce. If that would spoil the whole game for you, you're right to walk away. There's a lot of fun gameplay and a lot of good story before that, so for a lot of people it's worth it (and some people actually like that kind of ending, so it's great for them), but if you hate that kind of ending, you'll hate this.

MGibster

Legend
Well, I keep hearing how great the game is, but then whenever I hear anything about the story, I'm left cold with disinterest. I've been tired for years now of games & stories where the whole world is in danger and some Ultimate Sacrifice is necessary to avert the apocalypse—especially one that defies the logic of the setting or setup.
Let me tell you about the time I was supposed to go into a highly irradiated facility in order to save the entirety of a post apocalpytic Washington D.C. area. I had a companion who was immune to radiation, so naturally I sent him in, and the game castigated me for missing out on my heroic destiny. One of the worst video game endings ever.

MGibster

Legend
When you play an RPG, do you want to look at the gods and pantheon from a modern perspective or do you want to get into the heads of characters who living in a very different place from your modern lives?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads