• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Are Bishops "Clerics" or "Priests"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think 5e got a lot closer than other D&D editions, but yeah still could have flattened HP/Damage more than they did.
The HP/damage math is where it is at because they wanted to have the success ratio when rolling the d20 hit a particular target of likelihood to maximize the pleasure rewards for rolling dice (source is the old Happy Dun Hour, so unfortunately it's lost I'm the Aether).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Huh? What is that 22 minute thing?
average length of an episode for most half hour tv shows if you don't count the advertising that pads it out to the full 30

You need to squish the movie down to half hour tv show 22 minute length for your analogy to work because three rounds of combat with a bunch of players is
Ga,e time does not flow in real time.
Do you want a long rest after every session? That seems like a strange requirement.

And easy combats are encounters. When you have 6-8 encounters between long rests, even easy encounters can have impact.

I'm used to having many sessions between long rests for intense parts of the plot. It is harder to justify with default LR, but even then it happens.
It's not about resting every session... Some things map to sessions rather than a nebulous concept like adventuring days for the same reason that the hickman manifesto had the bolded bit of
  1. A player objective more worthwhile than simply pillaging and killing.
  2. An intriguing story that is intricately woven into play itself.
  3. Dungeons with an architectural sense.
  4. An attainable and honorable end within one to two sessions playing time
If you need to drag things out beyond one to two sessions of playing time you wind up with people losing track & losing interest. If you need to do so in order to cram in multiple sessions of nothing but combat it even results in the other three points getting squeezed out.

Switching to easy combats just wastes everyone's time & doesn't drain enough resources from where they need to be drained. That causes distortions in PC power that creates all kinds of imbalance problems as the not-easy encounters are simply melted instantly by trivially expended nova unloads. The subreddit where the reddit post was made is currently protesting reddit's API changes by going private but the excellent breakdown of why it's actually medium to hard encounters specifically can still be found on the wayback machine.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The HP/damage math is where it is at because they wanted to have the success ratio when rolling the d20 hit a particular target of likelihood to maximize the pleasure rewards for rolling dice (source is the old Happy Dun Hour, so unfortunately it's lost I'm the Aether).
Oh I know why it’s there, and I think they should have flattened it more without changing the target numbers.

But then I also despise their apperent goal of the PCs being so exceptional that they basically aren’t even members of their species, they’re just superpowereed mutants with no tie to the people around them right from level 1.

NotAYakk

Legend
average length of an episode for most half hour tv shows if you don't count the advertising that pads it out to the full 30

You need to squish the movie down to half hour tv show 22 minute length for your analogy to work because three rounds of combat with a bunch of players is
Ga,e time does not flow in real time.

It's not about resting every session... Some things map to sessions rather than a nebulous concept like adventuring days for the same reason that the hickman manifesto had the bolded bit of
  1. A player objective more worthwhile than simply pillaging and killing.
  2. An intriguing story that is intricately woven into play itself.
  3. Dungeons with an architectural sense.
  4. An attainable and honorable end within one to two sessions playing time
If you need to drag things out beyond one to two sessions of playing time you wind up with people losing track & losing interest. If you need to do so in order to cram in multiple sessions of nothing but combat it even results in the other three points getting squeezed out.

Switching to easy combats just wastes everyone's time & doesn't drain enough resources from where they need to be drained. That causes distortions in PC power that creates all kinds of imbalance problems as the not-easy encounters are simply melted instantly by trivially expended nova unloads. The subreddit where the reddit post was made is currently protesting reddit's API changes by going private but the excellent breakdown of why it's actually medium to hard encounters specifically can still be found on the wayback machine.
I didn't say nothing but combat?

Lets build a level 5 party of 4. A GWF barbarian (16 strength), a hexblade warlock (18 charisma), a moon druid (18 wis) and a TWF double-dagger rogue (18 dex).

The barbarian has a +1 greataxe and the warlock a +1 tome. The rogue and wizard have items that don't impact combat much.

Their XP budget is 500/1000/1500/2200 xp for EMHD 1 monster, 333/667/1000/1466 for 2, and 250/500/750/1100 for 3-6.

For groups of 1-5:

1 CR 2 / 4 / 5 / 6
2 CR (1+.5) / (1+2) / 2+3 / 2+4
3 CR 0.5 / 1 / 2+1+1 / 2*2+1
4 CR .5+.25*3 / 1+.5*3 / 1 / 2*2 + 1*2
5 CR .25 / 0.5 / 3*1 + 2*0.5 / 2*1 + 1*4

Taking a medium 5 monster fight, we have 5 lizardfolk.

The barbarian recklessly hits on a 14+ 58% of the time plus 10% crits for 24 DPR without rage
The hexblade EBs hitting 1.3 times per round with a curse for 17.45 DPR.
The rogue hits 88% of rounds for 1.4*2.5 + .94*10.5 + .65*4 = 15.97 DPR
The druid uses brown bear form for 11.3 DPR.

The party takes about 16 attacks in return, about half of which hit for 5 damage each. A few spells can be used to save up on the damage done. Other than that, the above party is using short rest resources.

This fight can take a very brief period of time. Which is important! Medium and easy fights can be crazy quick.

Stalker0

Legend
I think 5e got a lot closer than other D&D editions, but yeah still could have flattened HP/Damage more than they did.
Probably the best system for this flattened hp was teh popular 3e variant "Epic 6", in which players could only get to 6th level, and then gained additional feats over time to slowly increase in power.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Probably the best system for this flattened hp was teh popular 3e variant "Epic 6", in which players could only get to 6th level, and then gained additional feats over time to slowly increase in power.
I dont remember the 2014 DMG mentioning it, but the 2024 DMG should.

At the conclusion of level 8, or 12, the DM has all of the characters for that setting switch over to Epic Boons instead. (Albeit some of these Boons are high magic.)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That just seems like an odd fix, to me.

Why not just…flatten the math so that level 20 PCs are almost always going to win against mooks, but a small army of competent guards with some captains and a noble or two can still force the PCs to retreat?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I dont remember the 2014 DMG mentioning it, but the 2024 DMG should.

At the conclusion of level 8, or 12, the DM has all of the characters for that setting switch over to Epic Boons instead. (Albeit some of these Boons are high magic.)
It was a 3.5 thing. I don't think that 5e could handle an E6 type thing without a lot of rebuilding. Too many pieces of what made it work are stripped away or modified in ways that conflict with it

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It was a 3.5 thing. I don't think that 5e could handle an E6 type thing without a lot of rebuilding. Too many pieces of what made it work are stripped away or modified in ways that conflict with it
Maybe a 5e version of "8E" or "12E" is get one level-4 feat for each level after that?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Maybe a 5e version of "8E" or "12E" is get one level-4 feat for each level after that?
still dubious. e7 was not a niche thing, nobody has found a way to nicely adapt it to 5e because 5e resists such attempts until you make a new system Take this list of things
  • a Level 7 full BaB PC (ie fighter/barbarian/etc) would have two attacks at +7/+2, a level 7 rogue with (I think?) 2/3 BaB would have one attack at +5 & would have gotten a second at +6/+1 if allowed to continue onto level 8. A wizard with umm 1/3 BaB would be at +3 but targeting saves & touch AC
    • In both 2014 & 2024 versions of 5e some classes get full attack mod sec ond attack at 5 & 11
  • All of those PCs would have been gaining skill points to distribute in skills as they advanced based on class & int mod
    • We don't have the 2024 skill system, and & really need to see the 2024 skill system, but in 2014 5e all of those classes have the same bonus & in many cases probably the same must take S tier skills due to a skill system at odds with the system
  • Back in 3.x feats & PrCs had meaningful prerequisites and the really creative minmaxing abuses was starting to come into reach if allowed to continue past 7
    • in 2014 5e there are effectively zero prereqs on almost anything & in 2024 there are some extremely minimal level restrictions on some feats but still basically anything goes.
  • magic items were assumed so an e7 PC who kept progressing needed to lean more heavily on equipment & teamwork as monsters got stronger.
    • 5e has no assumption of magic items & even pegs monsters to the capabilities of lower level PCs with bounded accuracy. Instead of meaningful DR/Resist/SR & similar it's just "oh my objectively best weapon is magic so I ignore the resistance". We don't yet have any of those kind of GM focused hooks dials & levers in 2024 5e
  • casters needed to rely on spell slots wands & scrolls so a level 7 full cater had 4/3/2/1 spell slots plus whatever they get from gear never jumping to 4/3/3/2 - 4/4/3/2/1 - 4/4/3/3/2 & so on
    • So far in both versions of 5e casters & some non-casters from things like race have unlimited automatically scaling cantrips they never need to upgrade equipment with or risk running out of

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads