• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Brainstorming an inland temple of a bronze age sea goddess

My PCs will recruited to steal a magical clay tablet from the temple of a sea goddess, and I need ideas for what challenges stand in their way.

In my setting, the sea goddess Beshel is depicted as a writhing tentacled thing, prayed to by fishermen who desire bounty and sailors who fear the leviathans of the deep. But a century ago Beshel's champion made an alliance with a city a hundred miles upstream from the sea, and since then the goddess has added a vibe of "fulfilling undesired duties, grasping chaos and forcing it to order, yearning for home but staying out of obligation." Her priests bless prominent contracts, including marriages.

The temple is centered around a miraculous pool some 120 feet across that is both in the city and on a rocky shore of the sea. Waves crash in, affected by the tides, and the temple cultivates the pool like a fabulous garden. Fish can freely swim into the pool from the sea a hundred miles away, then vanish just as easily back into the deep, but people and manufactured items cannot cross; they have to stay in whichever area they start.

The setting has all manner of holy tablets which create magical effects in close radius (e.g., no rats or fleas can come within 12 cubits). What the boss of the party's gang wants them to steal is one that sets the parameters of what sorts of creatures are allowed to move from the pool in the temple to the corresponding patch of sea on the coast. (It'll be useful for smuggling.)

The tablet is 18 inches by 18 inches by ~4 inches, and weighs 130 pounds, so sneaking it out will be no easy feat. And the tablet is, of course, in the pool.

I'm thinking the overall layout could be something like this:
1715573724727.jpeg

A canal would run past the temple's outer plaza, which would lead into the temple colonnade, surrounding the central courtyard, which is where the pool would be. Holy ceremonies would be held on its perimeter. Then beyond that would be the inner compound with rooms temple functionaries, shrines to minor deities, monsters, and heroes of the faith, sacred chambers for the priesthood to engage in their mysteries, and then a reliquary vault.

That's how a utilitarian real-world temple could work, with guards walking the premises. But let's add some magic.

The party might come in during the day, maybe during some prominent holy festival around a prominent tide. Or they could attend an evening wedding where there are lots of visitors whom the guards would let come and go in any of the public places. Or they might sneak in at night. More people help with distracting the guards, but how are you going to sneak out carrying a big heavy tablet while you're dripping wet? Do you want to put a fake replacement in, to throw off suspicions? Getting away from the temple and to the criminal lair should have what sorts of bonus challenges?

Should there be, like, golems that patrol the temple? If an intruder goes into the pool, should a sea monster emerge? But that's just fight stuff. What about schemes and sneaking and talking? Should there be people there to, like, turn to your side? Some infamous paladin whose keen senses have to be avoided? How does it become more interesting than sneaking in, yoinking a big brick, and sneaking out?

There should be big oysters full of pearls in the pool, to tempt people to steal more than they need? Traps? Puzzles? Maybe the main tablet is just sitting in the open, but there's an alarm tablet in the high priest's chambers that needs to be deactivated first? Is there a person in the crowd who's a member of an opposing gang who threatens to out the party unless they steal something extra for him?

In every good heist there's a moment of crisis when the characters' clever scheme hits a snag and they have to improvise a way out. You obviously can't plan for that fully in a game, but maybe you can suggest things that might go wrong so I can also plant seeds for possible solutions.

And you want the heist to highlight and challenge the skills of the characters. I've got:

A silver-tongued changeling.
A pacifist who can speak to spirits of the dead.
A curious magical tinkerer who steals magic for his research.
A gambler with minor telekinesis.
A catfolk copper merchant who found it impossible to make an honest living with all the corruption and bribes he had to deal with.

So okay, clearly there needs to be:

People who need to be tricked, and someone to impersonate.
A dark side to the temple - they drown their enemies, and so maybe some spirits still linger.
Magical defense tablets the tinkerer can intuit the presence and powers of.
Some small thing that's hard to access - unless you've got telekinesis.
A fabulous copper statue - heck, a copper golem?

Who should the antagonist be? Like, who's the priest who ordered someone drowned, and what did that drowned person do? Were they also a thief?

I'm thinking the paladin guard of the temple made some sacred oath to not betray someone - not realizing that person is the head of the city's black market. So he is stuck in a conundrum of wanting to stop a theft without being able to actually hurt those responsible. So he'll get in their faces if he figures things out, and look for a way to make things right without violating his oath. (He would have to manipulate the one he swore to into removing her protection from the PCs. But that's a later plot.)

Let's have there be a rival gang member be conning a VIP of the city into a wedding, and she doesn't cause trouble for the PCs now. But later they'll get word of the husband being killed in an alley. The 'wife' doesn't get to inherit everything because the wedding did not bear a child, but she gets her dowry, which she uses to splurge for a celebration for multiple gangs.

The goddess handles contracts, so is there some implicit contract you agree to, like a EULA, as you enter the temple? (Yeah, Helldivers did this in the tutorial section, but steal from the best.) Like you agree not to have your lungs fill with water if you cross any barrier of copper (aka, railings around the pool, thresholds of the priest chambers) or interfere with any copper elements of the temple without permission of priest of the temple.

Do I want any boring old guards? Giant crabs? A triggered flood that slows the thieves down but which the golem can walk through effortlessly?

Sacred towels. That's a silly idea, but I was going to have the party's lair initially be nearby where a bunch of weavers congregate, so early on they ought to see a temple functionary trading for high-quality towels.

I could lean into silly beach party tropes. Blitzball from FF10.

Okay, I think that's a good starting point.

People might make an offering and be baptized for a blessing - that gives you an excuse into the inner pool.

Maybe there are decorations around the temple of kulilu (a sort of giant carp-seal) which can be commanded (by a priest or by the golem guardian) to spray waves or even scalding steam out of their mouths, as a sort of lair action.

How does the golem know whom to attack? Anyone who violates the EULA (which could be triggered on some poor innocent sap) and anyone who is inside after hours while not wearing formal raiments of the priesthood.

I did a week of system-agnostic fantasy posts with nautical themes on my blog about three years back. Most of them don't seem like they'd fit here very well, but take a look at the Ring of the Sea-Spouse post. You might find temple staff or visitors wearing one, but it would be more interesting if one or more worshippers who's currently stuck as an odd-looking fish were swimming around the place while awaiting an opportunity to get polymorphed back into humanoid form to avoid getting dinged by the penalty for "drowning" as a fish. They could act as a surprise obstacle, either sounding an alarm by (say) leaping out of the water to slap a gong, or hurling themselves onto dry land and flopping around until they "die" and revive as a humanoid who coughs up a ring as they do so. They'll come back with whatever they were carrying/wearing when they drowned the first time, so may not be well armed but armor and a sheathed backup weapon are quite possible, even likely.

Add a bit of flavorful background weirdness, anyway.

Of the other posts in that blog series the Shipwreck Compass might be the most interesting here. The temple pool might or might not confuse the compass like a coastal swamp, but if it imprints on the inland pool it will point to the nearest wreck as usual. That might guide the bearer to some long-forgotten (and possibly buried) hulk far inland from any modern sea, or to a crashed spelljammer on some mountain top, or to a wreck in some weird pocket dimension that's tangled up with the temple's own magic, or maybe there's a ship in some secret temple vault that was ritually "wrecked" here to establish the pool-gate in the first place, and messing with it de-consecrates the place (to everyone's annoyance).

So maybe worth trying to sneak in and dip in the pool to see what happens as long as you're doing a B&E job anyway?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some thoughts:

1) not a copper golem, a coral golem. The sharp roughness of the coral plus the stinging tentacles of the polyps might make for a nasty foe.

2) I wouldn’t have giant oysters, but having the clergy & workers within the temple cultivating pearl oysters within the temple pool could be both a source of wealth and symbols of status. Some special pearls might also carry enchantments, such as having an aura that marks the bearer as “authorized personnel”.

2a) other cultivated sea-life within “Beshel’s Garden” (the temple pool) could be shrimp, crab, edible kelps, murex snails (historical source of royal purple dye), and so forth.

3) not magic per se, but temple priests might collect the various powerful toxins produced by various sea life. Those could be distributed to temple guardians and/or the black market- especially if the temple actually has a “dark side”.

4) Beshel could take a page from Dagon & Lolth by creating magically altered believers to patrol the aquatic sections of her temple grounds, especially the deepest waters. Instead of Drow/Spider fusion driders, she could fuse her followers with crabs, or- in keeping with her own visage- octopi.

4) Beshel could take a page from Dagon & Lolth by creating magically altered believers to patrol the aquatic sections of her temple grounds, especially the deepest waters. Instead of Drow/Spider fusion driders, she could fuse her followers with crabs, or- in keeping with her own visage- octopi.
I like that idea. There are even suitable miniatures on the market.
Siren_of_The_Deep_1-600x600.jpg
AMG_DW2022_1-Copy.jpg
Cylla_1.jpg

Admittedly, you could probably kitbash something similar out of some Bones/Wizkids plastics for a bit less. Maybe even cheaper if you grabbed some "nature museum" toys for the octopus parts, although those were getting expensive last time I saw them in a Big Box arts & crafts store.

If you wanted to lean into a whole aquatic campaign you could a lot worse than poking around Antimatter Games' Deep Wars range for inspiration and models. Some pretty amazing stuff, and a rather underrated company even in minis gaming circles.

EDIT: Expensive, but there's a Beshel avatar for you, eh?
AMG_SS7013_Gothagga_2.jpg

Or if she's feeling a bit crabby
AMG_SS7014_Xathal_1.jpg

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Only thing I'd add is the whole thing sounds vaguely Mycenaean, so you could look up that for inspiration if you didn't already do that a long time ago.

edit: rats, saw you just did that. I would remove this if I could figure out how.

aco175

Legend
Is this supposed to be Bronze Age technology? My idea of Bronze age, even fantasy Bronze age, might be way different in terms of level of magic and sophistication of traps and such.

Normal thoughts is to make it known that there is a trap of a glass lid slides out to cover the pool and trap intruders inside. Glass allows for the other PCs to watch the diver PC drown and allows for them to break it to save him. With a known trap, they can come up with a means to bypass it. A minor sub-quest can be made from getting the secret key or passphrase or such. The glass lid would be mostly for tension and another trap goes off when touching the tablet.

This animates the guardian statue that overlooks the pool. There might be a couple rounds of combat while the diver PC gets out of the water with the tablet and then all can flee with a chase scene. The massive stone statue destroying things as it pursues the PCs through the temple to the secret escape door.

A more devious trap just slides the tablet through the portal to the ocean when someone enters the pool- and then animates the statue.

The temple is centered around a miraculous pool some 120 feet across that is both in the city and on a rocky shore of the sea. Waves crash in, affected by the tides, and the temple cultivates the pool like a fabulous garden. Fish can freely swim into the pool from the sea a hundred miles away, then vanish just as easily back into the deep, but people and manufactured items cannot cross; they have to stay in whichever area they start.

The tablet is 18 inches by 18 inches by ~4 inches, and weighs 130 pounds, so sneaking it out will be no easy feat. And the tablet is, of course, in the pool.

My very first thought is that someone is going to Polymorph into a fish and get into the pool from the ocean. So, expect that this is going to get a lot of attention. How the magic works here, the rules of the pool, and what fools it, will be critical at some point. I'd recommend building this up, if possible. And make the protection here difficult for the party to deal with, but also not so difficult that they don't get turned off.

Maybe there's a magical alarm that detects if a non-fish tries to come through? Maybe it's protected by a guard with permanent "Detect Magic" at the exit/entrance to try and catch magic fish/people? Maybe there's a local legend that if you do this, it makes you a fish permanently (which turns out to be a rumor started by a local magician that can help the party)?

In an RPG where shape changing exists, this is an obvious hook. So obvious that the questions isn't "Will this be a part of the heist", but rather "Will this be the actual method of stealing the tablet, a red herring to draw the attention of the guards, or a double/triple/quadruple misdirection."

Remove ads