• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

Memoir writers are the least of it.

Radiologists, lawyers, accountants, all sorts of folks working white collar jobs had better watch their backs.

If there's anything in your job that is boring and repetitive, someone is going to try and automate it. If you're lucky, it'll just be those portions of your job, but realistically, lots of companies will be "ambitious" and try to automate far more of it.

And just because they can't automate it in 2023 doesn't mean your job is safe in 2025. The rate of AI advancement is accelerating rapidly.

So now they can now feel what the blue collar workers felt when robotics took their jobs at factories and other industries? Where were the white collar workers complaints when self checkout took cashier jobs.

AI means the Healthcare system might become more affordable, divorces might not end in poverty from legal fees and so on.

This is awesome news, because the working class benefits, I love these new AIs for once the rest of us stand to massive benefit.

Better, more accessible, more affordable Healthcare, legal aid, accounting, etc..., awesome.

I'm on team AI.

Scribe

Legend
Where were the white collar workers complaints when self checkout took cashier jobs.

My wife and I wait in line instead of going through the self checkout, because that keeps people in jobs, which keeps money going through the community.

Thats the part the short sighted dont see.

There are only so many shovels to go around, and when nobody has money, who even gets to hire the guy with the shovel?

Race to the bottom, Capitalism 2024.

Dioltach

Legend
I've been hanging out on various forums for fiction writers lately, and the feelings are twofold.

On the one hand, there's some concern. This is mostly among people with a fairly generic style, or those who use writing tools to enhance their writing.

On the other, there's quite a bit of derision. People sometimes post snippets of AI-generated text and it's woefully soulless. Even if the "writer" spent hours defining and refining the prompts, it's formulaic and predictable - except where it's unpredictable by throwing in confused metaphors, or includes details that contradict earlier information.

Maybe AI will get better. I don't know. But as a translator, I've been hearing machine translation companies claiming for 25 years that MT is "nearly as good as human translation". I've yet to see it make any significant strides.

delericho

Legend
I wish I was surprised by the OP, but there's been a clear direction of travel for some time now. And, try as we might, I don't think we're putting the genie back in the bottle - this revolution is probably inevitable, so the question is more one of how we adapt than of how we prevent it.

The answer to which seems to be that the very rich get richer, while an ever-increasing proportion of us become the poor in that saying.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
AI isn't the problem it is who controls it. I watched a charlie rose interview with gates a long time ago and he said as much, it is about who controls it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure, maybe company icons and trash films will be mass-produced with AI. But until AI has a new technique in its "creative" process, it will not be able to make anything we consider masterpieces.

They aren't looking to create masterpieces. They are looking to produce work that will sell at a high profit margin. So, that criticism will have them crying all the way to the bank.

Remove ads