Heroes of Highdale IC

Ilium

First Post
Recap
Our heroes were enjoying a little celebration after their defeat of the spider-creatures in a cave near the walled town of Highdale. They were sampling the wares of Dorin, wife of Simon the miller and acclaimed local brewster. They were interrupted by the arrival of Viktor, the town's chief constable, who informed all and sundry that giants had attacked the mill. Several locals and all our heroes have ventured out into the blustery night to the mill to investigate.

After a quick stop at the gatehouse to pick up a couple of guards and weapons for the volunteers, the group made their way to the mill. A little reconnaisance work by Erethinol, and a little goading later, the giants* came charging out of the mill. A brief but intese battle followed and the creatures were defeated.

Viktor dispatched the guards to make sure no more of the invaders were lurking about and once satisfied that there were not, sent the volunteers back to Highdale to advise Simon and Dorin (who were at Dorin's sister's house in the town proper) that the mill was secure, though the giants had made a horrible mess both inside and out.

He then approached the adventurers...

**These giants are the creatures the elves call Fathach and D&D players the world over call ogres. :)

Viktor executes a short bow, hand pressed to his breast. "I thank you again for your help. I'm not certain we could have beaten them without losses if not for you." He turns and looks north along the shore of Mirror lake, which stretches into the darkness before you. "Mishal there," he continues, gesturing at one of the guards, "tells me there are signs the brutes came down along the shore line. It would be fairly easy to come through the trees there unobserved from either the town or the mill, especially under cover of darkness. Would you be willing to join a tracking party tomorrow? I'd like to make sure we don't have a whole nest of these things somewhere."

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius grins, "I'm always up for purgin' some giants." He hefts his axe happily, "think we could sit for a drink for the night though?"

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Smiling warmly with his eyes full of mischief "It would be an honour and a pleasure to help you rid the world of some maurauding Giants, you can count me and my tasty wee friend in for sure"

With visions of the 'devil rock' dancing through his mind the spry mage* lets out a chuckle "Beside if the last lot are anything to go by I'm sure it will be a lot of fun"

Ilium

First Post
Viktor replies, "I'm grateful for your willingness to help, but I warn you against taking these creatures too lightly. There are giants and then there are giants. For now, though, let's get back to town. I'll arrange for a crew to come out and dispose of these brutes in the morning and we should all get a good night's sleep."

So can I assume an uneventful night passes, or are you guys looking for some trouble in Highdale? I can roll either way, but I should warn you they fold up the sidewalks at 10:00. Or they would if they had sidewalks :)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Ilium said:
Viktor replies, "I'm grateful for your willingness to help, but I warn you against taking these creatures too lightly. There are giants and then there are giants. For now, though, let's get back to town. I'll arrange for a crew to come out and dispose of these brutes in the morning and we should all get a good night's sleep."

So can I assume an uneventful night passes, or are you guys looking for some trouble in Highdale? I can roll either way, but I should warn you they fold up the sidewalks at 10:00. Or they would if they had sidewalks :)
OOC: I vote for a peaceful night please.

Ferrix

Explorer
Ilium said:

A bit of tumble wouldn't be so bad, some drink and merry, then off to the normal giant hunt ;)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Girble, slightly disappointed there were no more of the giants around, perks up at the offer. "Of course we'd join the hunting party! Those giants aren't as big as they think, and I'm the one to show them that." He stands up straight to show his full three-foot height, and agrees to go back to rest for the night.

ooc: Girble will probably want a drink and some food--beating down giants works up an appetite--but will go to bed without causing any trouble.

Ilium

First Post
Girble, Erethinol, Sirius and Lucas all repair to the Red Mastiff inn*. There they reassure the worried patrons that all is reasonably well and the giants have been dealt with. This returns the air of celebration to the room and the music starts up again. The four companions spend a pleasant evening during which they are told by the patrons that their money is no good here tonight. Enjoying the hospitality, the group are regaled with local legends concerning giants that supposedly once lived in the area. According to the stories, they were driven out by the great Imperial general Marcus Gracchus, and fled East over the mountains. Of course, the mountains are completely impassible, but the stories say the giants knew a way and many searchers have vanished seeking the "giants' pass". Eventually they return to their rooms and fall into a contented.

They're jarred from that sleep in the grey light of dawn as Otto, the inn's stableboy, knocks on each door tentatively and says, "Master Viktor's here for you Sir" (or "Miss" to Ery). The air is sharp with the scent of approaching winter and the grass outside glitters with frost as the sun breaks over the Reiseberg, a prominent mountain East of Highdale.

The adventurers assemble in the Mastiff's common room, sitting over a generous breakfast of eggs, sausage and roasted spiced apples as Viktor explains his intentions.

"Simple enough," he says in his grave rumble. "We'll backtrack the brutes as far as we can and see if there are any more. If we don't find anything before about the fourth hour we'll come back here. Is there anything you want to gather before we go?"

*For more info on the red mastiff, go to http://home.comcast.net/~jim.ade/ilium/HeirsOfEmpire.html and search for Red Mastiff

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Nay Goodmaster, I am ready to venture forth and wreak terrible vengeance upon thine enemies" the elf says in a flowery speech "Actually, let's go and kick some arse" she shouts as she sallies forth leaving a bemused Viktor standing midst Inn.

Ferrix

Explorer
"Ah... the chill in me bones sharpens the blood." Sirius grins, armored and ready for a day on the hunt, although they'll probably hear him coming a mile away compared to your normal stealthy tracker. He doesn't care.

"Lead the way lass," the dwarf says to Ery.

Remove ads