• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Maybe they will at least finally address that it is okay to limit options for the purpose of setting coherence. "Dwarves in Greyhawk can't use arcane magic, so they may not be Wizards."

Lol. No. That is NEVER going to happen.
But they can't*. (Lol)

in my campaign, or rather they can, but the other dwarves will persecute them to avoid a repeat of that which is not mentioned.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Why not Greyhawk? It's as good a campaign setting as any. I would have personally preferred Mystara
I snipped part of what you wrote because I also like Mystara, but it has some campaign secrets (what powers magic) and different cosmologies (the Immortals) that don't fit with what is expected as part of D&D. Not that they couldn't make it work, but I think they'd retcon enough so that you'd have a map and places, but not much of what makes Mystara unique.

Kurotowa

Legend
The 3e iconic characters were supposedly from Oerth.
More importantly, the 3e PHB divine pantheon definitely was. I don't know about anyone else, but those gods being in the PHB meant they were treated as a default for a lot of campaigns. I'd struggle to name three nations from Greyhawk without checking, yet I have a familiar attachment to Kord and Pelor and Wee Jas.

Swanosaurus

Adventurer
Fading because the author is hellbent on destroying the goodwill of the very audience her books appealed most to. We were too young to notice the blatant fat phobia, low-key antisemitism, and general milquetoast pro-establishment political stance when we first read them, and were so enthralled by the world and fond childhood memories to be too critical of them once we got older. But, once she took the mask off, the spell was broken and we all collectively realized they were never really as good as we had built them up to be in our own heads.
On a side-note: Can I like this more then once? Like a 100 times?

Stormonu

Legend
Hopefully, this should finally open up Greyhawk to the DM's guild. FR excels in deep lore and a sort of high magic world with a lot of story-based flair, whereas Greyhawk has a lot more areas ripe for the DM to fill in and feels more dark fantasy. And, because of its wargaming roots, there's a lot more opportunity for mass army-level conflict between the kingdoms and realms.

As others have said, linking tieflings to Iuz and the Great Kingdom will be easy, there's been the likes of cambions forever, so tieflings would seem to just be the next evolution. In fact, Ghosts of Saltmarsh has pretty much already stated this.

Dragonborn, as I recall, were described having a kingdom in the west beyond the deserts - according to the Chainmail mini's game of the 90's/00's. If they get shoehorned in, they'll probably be from there, though I'm sort of hoping they advise just not including them (and I like dragonborn).

Vaalingrade

Legend
If they really wanted to grab today’s younger people, they’d be going all in on anime. Especially with series like Frieren blowing up the internet. Which would be wonderfully full circle. Frieren is basically “what happens to Deedlit after Record of Lodoss War.” Lodoss War was based on a Japanese home game of early D&D.
I feel like this gives Parn way too much credit.

Remove ads