• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
1. There is actually very little real information in this post, other than that Greyhawk will be in the new DMG, and that there will be a map of Greyhawk (the setting, assumedly the Flanaess) and Greyhawk (the City) included.

2. It appears that Greyhawk will be used as the example for a "how to make your own campaign setting" part of the DMG.
That's basically the extent of what is known, ut now they have committed to it being Greyhawk in an interview for Game Informer.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Why not Greyhawk? It's as good a campaign setting as any. I would have personally preferred Mystara, but there's a huge difference between (Stuff I Prefer) and (Stuff That Others Will Buy). I'm sure they counted all the beans, weighed all the options, and then picked the one with the best numbers. They pay a lot closer attention to that sort of thing than I do.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I find this really interesting and I know that the nostalgia factor is driving this. That makes sense (50 years!) At the same time, the reason the Forgotten Realms has this high-magic, high-powered reputation is because it developed that way over time. It was the world that got more detail, and as time went on, tastes changed to what they are now.

I am playing Shackled City, the old AP done by Paizo for 3E. It's set in Greyhawk. Aside from the maps, there's nothing different from it than what you'd see in the Realms. It has a lot of gonzo stuff like Spellweavers that aren't really in Greyhawk lore. They are seen in more modern D&D.

I guess what I'm saying is the difference between Greyhawk and the Realms is the time at which they were designed. Greyhawk doesn't have Dragon Born, but that's because of the time it was being written. They just weren't around, along with a lot of other stuff we have today.

You definitely can put the kitchen sink setting info from more modern D&D into Greyhawk, but my question is: why? I guess nostalgia, but once you update the game for modern audiences, the nostalgia is just places and names. Greyhawk is a lower-powered and more human-centric game world, or I guess I should say it was. Yes, we will be having a country named Geoff once more but we'll also have Aasimar. How will Greyhawk in 2024 be different from the Realms? Unless it's used as an example of how you can restrict game elements, it just won't.

Before I get my grognard badge out, I should point out that I like the more modern elements of a world, so I'm not lamenting any changes. I guess I just would like to think you can have different kinds of game worlds that don't all have the new shiny.

Remove ads