• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
@Snarf Zagyg Any thoughts on this news?

Weird. I literally just returned a few minutes ago.

Given the sheer number of lengthy posts I have made about Greyhawk ... yes.

I have thoughts.

I have feels.

I even have ... vibes.

Most of them will have to wait for a little more time to settle. But my initial impressions-

1. There is actually very little real information in this post, other than that Greyhawk will be in the new DMG, and that there will be a map of Greyhawk (the setting, assumedly the Flanaess) and Greyhawk (the City) included.

2. It appears that Greyhawk will be used as the example for a "how to make your own campaign setting" part of the DMG.

3. Finally, it also seems as if they are going with one of the core strengths of the setting from the early 80s- specifically, that very little is revealed, and most of it is for the table to color in.

Look, there's a lot that isn't said or decided. Obviously, I want them to open the DM's Guild to Greyhawk. It would have been nice to have it as a standalone setting. But a a thirsty man doesn't turn an offer of good bourbon, simply because they aren't being given Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year.

The perfect is the enemy of the good, and #GREYHAWKCONFIRMED ....

giphy.gif

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Greyhawk is a world inspired by Gygax's love of sword and sorcery pulp fantasy and hard coded medievalism. I just don't understand how that is going to appeal to generations raised on Avatar, Harry Potter and Steven Universe.

WotC can and will change the lore as they want to. Greyhawk suddenly in the Victorian era, sure why not.

Remove ads