• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

It's not just the algorithm, it's what people want to see. People like mess and drama. They watch more mess and drama then they do wholesome education videos about games. They also like humor and unique or novel visuals, so videos do a lot of these too, and don't have to be messy/dramatic to succeed. But ultimately, this whole "rabble-rouser" stuff is just because that's ultimately what humans like watching: other humans and their problems.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I've met people who said that not only prior to recent experience they did, they knew a lot more that did. Often a very small subset of people introduce D&D into an area or people have heard reference to D&D and look up it specifically, and you can absolutely live in a complete or near complete bubble that way. I know its easy to assume in the day of the Web to the contrary, but I think this seriously underestimates how easy bubbles are to occupy.

There are games that are work to do that with. D&D is not one of them.

I mean, good grief, there are people out there who never see a D&D rulebook that doesn't belong to their DM. What does that tell you?
That first paragraph, I am not sure what you are saying. Casual gamers might not explore further because they are casual. I would expect there are a lot of casuals out there but even exposure to other games is not going to draw in most of the casuals. Unless Critical Role's Daggerheart proves me wrong. I think that it is interesting that they are going for a pretty crunchy game.

It’d be nice if people mentioned other games when talking about 5e. But there are literally hundreds and hundreds of roleplaying games out there. I don’t expect people to keep up with every single game out there just in case another game solved something they want solved.

I’ve been playing since 1982 and have only played about 75 different rpgs and people still consider me quite knowledgable about different systems. But I’ve never played Fate. Have only passing knowledge of Apocalypse World and PbtA-style games. Heck I’m struggling to keep up with WFRP alone and that’s my favourite game. And there are tons of other games out there that are probably awesome that I’m missing out on, but I can’t play or even read them all.

I think the best way to change any influencer’s content is to comment on the video and suggest the influencer look into this specific game that I am familiar with but that the influencer might have missed.
I really liked this post, just realized I missed it. You gave me perspective here!

Reef

Hero
Do you ever start a thread on a whim, not really feeling very strongly but interested in seeing where it goes, and then really, really regret it later?
Look on the bright side…it hasn’t gotten to the point where we’re arguing whether or not you look too much like a superhero…

:)

Thomas Shey

Legend
That first paragraph, I am not sure what you are saying. Casual gamers might not explore further because they are casual. I would expect there are a lot of casuals out there but even exposure to other games is not going to draw in most of the casuals. Unless Critical Role's Daggerheart proves me wrong. I think that it is interesting that they are going for a pretty crunchy game.

I'm not talking about people who are casual in any real way (though I think your assumption here is wrong; you have to ask why they're casual before your statement is correct. Are they casual because they're not that interested in the hobby, or because D&D is only supplying marginally what they're interested in? Something as simple as someone who's more interested in SF than fantasy can change that equation). But in some cases I'm talking about people who've just fallen into the D&D-sphere--because its far and away the easiest one to follow in to--and don't even have any reason to assume there's anything else.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
People want to feel a little bit empowered, they want a bunch of help getting into a game, they want to play the same character for a while, and they want to do "the RPG things" (fight, talk, explore, long rest).

Yep. And I'll add - that's a perfectly valid approach to games!

There is not so much as a smidgen wrong with wanting to have that experience, and not give a hoot beyond that. That core experience is really cool!

Remove ads