• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D "influencers" need to actively acknowledge other games.

Dire Bare

Legend
Well, unless we're talking a supplement such as a setting or monster manual based on the open license, if you're talking a different TTRPG altogether then no, you aren't talking D&D. D&D is not the sum of all TTRPGs.
There is D&D 5E and all of the third-party supplements folks have created for it. I don't think there are a lot of folks who will argue that these OGL or CC supplements are NOT D&D, but . . . some will. Or at least, they will avoid them.

Games like Shadowdark, Dungeon Crawl Classics, and other OSR games are . . . in a very real sense . . . still D&D games. They use very similar rulesets, they often try to evoke very similar styles of play, use a lot of similar assumptions . . . they are often as different from D&D 5E as the earlier editions of the official game are. They are all "fantasy heartbreakers" . . . D&D, but different.

But (some) folks like to draw lines on what is D&D and what isn't.

There are, of course, TONS of games that aren't D&D at all. Other than using D&D in the most generic of terms, like "Kleenex" and "Coke" referring to all facial tissues and all soda, respectively.

Play what you want to play, let others play what they want to play. Let YouTubers make the videos they want to make, you watch the videos you want to watch.

I'm with you @Oofta, there is way too much snobbery in our hobby. Although, that's probably true of any hobby out there . . . .

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We're talking about "influencers". I assumed shows.

But seriously, WTF is your issue? I made a statement. D&D does not encompass all TTPRGs. I don't know why that set you off.
By your own admission, you don't know what we're talking about, ignore the context of my posts, but want to come in and score points. Can you take a break from doing it?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What do you think? Should D&D influencers acknowledge other games that solve problems they are talking about on their channels? If not, why not?
I think this is a really weird request.

I'm not an influencer, I am very much a consumer of games--I play 5E D&D mostly, but also Call of Cthulhu, Dread, and the occasional One Ring gaming session. But I don't watch D&D channels to get advice on my Call of Cthulhu game. And if Ginny Di started talking about Pathfinder and Powered By The Apocalypse, I'd probably stop watching the video (and if she did this often enough, in several videos, I'd eventually stop watching the channel altogether). It's nothing personal; it's just not why I tune in.

Viewers (and consumers) are aware that other games exist, after all.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
A lot of folks look at influencers as experts, which might be setting some errant expectations. I'll be frank, my experience is that they are just rabble-rousers, and if all of them disappeared tomorrow, I wouldnt even notice. Though, I understand how influential they are to some folks and wanting them to have some baseline of expertise isnt unreasonable. However, being its not entirely a field of expertise, but one of opinion and advertisement, you need to set expectations accordingly. So, should they be experts? Probably, but thats up to the folks that view the vids and feeds to decide.

I know folks also dont like that D&D takes up all the air in the RPG room. Though, a varied opinion that wanders from game to game has some issues. Can get confusing to the uninitiated causing more need to explain the same topics over and over again. The intention might be that if you want to play a certain way another game does it, but its more likely to just lead to D&D cannibalizing more games making the problem even worse.
Some "influencers" (erg, I don't like that term) ARE experts. Some are rabble-rousers. Some are just folks sharing their hobbies and interests and making a little bit of money doing it. Some are all of the above!

There is a lot of crap content out there on YouTube and other sites. But there is also a lot of truly well-produced material as well. Assuming all influencers are "experts" isn't wise, but also assuming they are all "rabble-rousers" isn't any wiser.

It's the wild west out there, and that's the hardest part . . . there is no certification for "quality content", we all have to practice being discerning in what we consume. Well, maybe not "have to" but rather "probably should".

mamba

Legend
Well, unless we're talking a supplement such as a setting or monster manual based on the open license, if you're talking a different TTRPG altogether then no, you aren't talking D&D. D&D is not the sum of all TTRPGs.
Is A5e D&D? Is ToV D&D? For that matter, is 4e D&D?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Some "influencers" (erg, I don't like that term) ARE experts. Some are rabble-rousers. Some are just folks sharing their hobbies and interests and making a little bit of money doing it. Some are all of the above!

There is a lot of crap content out there on YouTube and other sites. But there is also a lot of truly well-produced material as well. Assuming all influencers are "experts" isn't wise, but also assuming they are all "rabble-rousers" isn't any wiser.

It's the wild west out there, and that's the hardest part . . . there is no certification for "quality content", we all have to practice being discerning in what we consume. Well, maybe not "have to" but rather "probably should".
As long as the algorithms tell people to be obnoxious rabble-rousers, thats what ye be getting. 🤷‍♂️

MGibster

Legend
But I don't watch D&D channels to get advice on my Call of Cthulhu game. And if Ginny Di started talking about Pathfinder and Powered By The Apocalypse, I'd probably stop watching the video (and if she did this often enough, in several videos, I'd eventually stop watching the channel altogether). It's nothing personal; it's just not why I tune in.
Bingo. It's exactly why I don't blame content creators who specialize in D&D to talk about anything else. Well, not exactly. So far as I'm concerned, they can talk about whatever they want to talk about. But some of these people create content for a living and if they start talking about other subjects they're going to lose money. The algorithim is also the reason we often see inflammatory titles for videos. I know that turns some people off, but those titles get more eyes on the videos.

Oofta

Legend
By your own admission, you don't know what we're talking about, ignore the context of my posts, but want to come in and score points. Can you take a break from doing it?

Could you, oh I don't know, try to explain what the issue is? What I said that was so wrong? Is there a reason you're being so adversarial?

Remove ads