• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why aren't bullywugs a PC race in 5E?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
There are options for Dogfolk and Spiderfolk. It just depends on whether your gonna restrict yourself to official WoTC or if you don't mind doing 3PP.
I mean, I have my own Lupin and Aranea implementations if anyone wants to use them in my games so I'm not worried about that angle.

It's not like 5e races are all that hard to create rules for. Much less work than creating a subclass (or even a background really).

Weiley31

Legend
Also, aside from the lack of Dogfolk/Spiderfolk, what's keeping WoTC from giving us Foxfolk/Kitsune? Hengeyokai need to be done properly!

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. I just reskinned my Dark Elf as a Bullywug in the Adventurers League, and if anybody said anything about spell use, I told them about the Ancient Batrachian Brotherhood and it's Fantastical Magical Powers, gave them a pamphlet and charged them an admission fee.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
. Other than that, I don't recall any official ones. Perhaps because werewolves steal part of that spotlight?
maybe the designers think Gnoll is close enough?
although with gnolls now being demonic as well as hyenas thats probably not very close enough

oh and the Lupin reminded me that there are also Hurakaan - urbane Egyptian Jackal-men

Last edited:

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Missing the opportunity for that sweet bullywug bard.
Nah, he's a Grippli

Mr Toad's the Bullywug

Also, aside from the lack of Dogfolk/Spiderfolk, what's keeping WoTC from giving us Foxfolk/Kitsune? Hengeyokai need to be done properly!
man do not get me started. Lemme just tell you, anything remotely close to how they are previously is not doing it properly

why wouldn't you give your kitsune race at least some sort of minor illusion power. How are your tanuki supposed to turn into kettles without any abilities for it?

JEB

Legend
I don't recall Lupin in 3e officially, but I could be wrong.
They appeared as a PC race in Dragon #325, apparently.

There are options for Dogfolk and Spiderfolk. It just depends on whether your gonna restrict yourself to official WoTC or if you don't mind doing 3PP.
I mean, between 3PP, the DM Guild ("second party" I guess?), and homebrew, I assume there aren't many things that haven't been done yet... but it's not the same as official.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I would love a hengeyokai/pooka type creature.

The only "problem" is that they would have to basically have unlimited shapechanging, from their natural, animal form, to a human form, which probably has "balance" issues of one sort or another. Even if all the possible animal forms are Tiny or Small and not really useful in combat.

Rikka66

Adventurer
I would love a hengeyokai/pooka type creature.

The only "problem" is that they would have to basically have unlimited shapechanging, from their natural, animal form, to a human form, which probably has "balance" issues of one sort or another. Even if all the possible animal forms are Tiny or Small and not really useful in combat.
Interestingly they gave unlimited shapeshifting to tiny animal form to the 4e Hengeyokai, and that edition was much stingier about that kind of trick then 5e.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads