• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why aren't bullywugs a PC race in 5E?

JEB

Legend
Bullywugs are listed among the NPC traits in the 5E DMG. Bullywugs are also shown as an example of a sidekick character in Tasha's (the only example depicted that isn't already officially playable - unless you count the winged kobold). And they recently got more attention in Wild Beyond the Witchlight. Bullywugs were also a PC race in 2E and 4E. Bullywugs aren't especially powerful in 5E, so considering all the above, it seems odd we have yet to see them as a PC race in 5E.

(Wizards also has a mixed record with other frog-folk, for some reason - grungs were a PC race only in the official-but-maybe-not DM Guild product One Grung Below, while Wizards infamously removed grippli PC guidelines from Candlekeep Mysteries. Is there some conspiracy against frog-folk afoot?)

Maybe the grungs were chosen because with their colors they are easier to be sold as toys in the future. And other companies can sell their own frogfolk miniatures.

Weretoads could be interesting monsters in kid-friendly stories with a little touch of horror.

Hussar

Legend
Were bullywugs actually a playable race in 4e? I remember that in 4e bullywugs were so loathsome that if you rolled a critical hit against one and killed it, you gained bonus HP. They were more of an NPC thing. Given that their lore is that they are full on 100% evil, destructive and just nasty, I'm not sure they would be a good PC race.

But, I do agree, we could use a frog people. It's not a bad concept.

Yes, there is a secret conspirancy, because if the bullywugs could PCs then we would see a lot of them, everybody named "Pepe", exploring underground tunnels where children are abducted by reptilian vampires to do horrible things.

images

It would be interesting to find out how WoTC determines which monsters are suitable to be used as PCs.
I expect it's whatever sells well. And maybe WotC expects that Bullywugs as a PC just won't sell very well?

I certainly wouldn't want to play one. They're... well... frogs. Your backstory starts in a pond where you were born as a tadpole. The jokes by other party members would never stop.

Weiley31

Legend
I mean, yeah Bullywugs would be nice, but I just refluff the Grung to be Bullywugs/Gripplis mostly. It's the easiest way to do it at this point.

Remove ads