• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Warlock Patron at 3rd Level Makes Sense

DavyGreenwind

Just some guy
It makes sense to me at least. There are many different stories to tell and ways to explain it. Here are two that come immediately to mind.

1. You made a pact at level one with your patron, but they have only given you a small measure of power to test your mettle. By reaching 3rd, you have proven yourself worthy of more unique abilities.

2. You made a pact with some lesser entity: a Bone Devil, a lesser fey noble or a hag, or some star spawn, and did well, but they have no more power to give you and put you in touch with something greater.

Does this make sense to people?

Lojaan

Hero
Not really.

It would be like telling a cleric- don’t worry about your deity until level 3.

The patron, imo, is fundamental to the class. It’s the very essence of why you’re a warlock.
More like telling a cleric don't expect any special treatment from your god, or initiation into greater mysteries, until you have proven yourself capable of handling basic pantheon responsibilities.

But hey, different people are bugged by different things because of how the rules either support or conflict with how they imagine the imaginary world. I don't have a conflict with this so it doesn't bother me at all.

A quarterstaff being listed as versatile however - that drives me completely, teeth gnashingly insane.

I imagine that if wotc came out with a fluff reason for these rules, like "clerics of levels 1-2 are known as 'petitioners' because they have not yet been chosen as representatives of their gods", or "quarterstaves in this world are actually 3-4' long walking sticks, and not, you know quarterstaves", then it would go along way to mending these rifts.

Last edited:

Lojaan

Hero
It makes sense only to that very specific narrative, which was possible the old way too, plus allowed for other backstories.

But hey, if we're going to guarantee most people just skip what has been turned into the tutorial levels, this is a way.
This is a good thing. You don't get points for starting at level 1. If you are experienced and want to start at a higher level then that should be normalized.

Remove ads