• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Tyranny of Dragons on Krynn (DragonLance)

Iosue

Legend
I've just started a game (only 1 session in) that is ToD on Krynn.

We decided to make it pre-Cataclysm, for a couple of reasons. One, ToD is juuuust a little too close to War of the Lance. It'd almost be like a rehash if we set it, say, post-War of the Lance, pre-Legends. OTOH, having it occur before the Cataclysm puts enough space between Takhisis-Escape-Attempts, and kind of provides a nice action for the Kingpriest to be a reaction of sorts. This also allows us to cleave close to the written adventure without having to try and convert Draconians. Rather I can just reskin the half-dragons as not quite so dragon-like.

We're using this map. I've started the adventure in Piece #5, with Kanira's Keep standing in for Greenest. It has a Sword Coast feel, and seems to largely be calqueable on to the geography of HotDQ. The adventures started out traveling from Windgard to Daleth when they come across Kanira's Keep under attack.

We're using the Kender rules from the last playtest, at least until the official one is finally released.

I'm not wholly up on Dragonlance lore, especially pre-Cataclysm, so I'm playing it pretty fast and loose.

Rune

Once A Fool
I don't remember there being any kobolds in Dragonlance. Do you intend to convert them into something else (goblins, perhaps)?

Rune

Once A Fool
Huh. Wonder why they never featured in the War of the Lance arc. Maybe because that was before they were lizards?

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Here's another idea for running it on Krynn, if someone wanted to run it post-War of Souls, what if... [HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILERS]the cultists freeing Tiamat were here instead looking at resurrecting Takhisis (perhaps tie them to one of the Knights of Neraka factions?) – if the storyline requires the Dragon Queen's return (I haven't played the adventures), you could even have them partially succeed in that only that aspect is resurrected, the same as Paladine is down to only one (mortal) aspect post-WoS.[END SPOILERS] That was my first thought reading about the Tyranny of Dragons (actually modified from my unused thoughts for adapting The Red Hand of Doom to Dragonlance)...

Edit: Just wanted to note, I included the Spoiler Tags about years-old novels on account that I know myself some Dragonlance fans who haven't gotten through The War of Souls yet, and would hate to spoil anything regarding novel plotlines for folks looking for adapting adventure scripts! Just being extra cautious not cross the streams...

Remove ads