Special Conversion Thread: Microscopic Monsters

Cleon

Legend
We seem to have some freedom there. The simplest thing to do would probably be to make a single swarm that takes up a large space along with a really big slug (even sporocarp). However, the swarm rules only allow a 10 ft space, and the variation of magical power might argue for X independent swarms with a group hive mind, where X=30 at present.

I'm leaning towards some kind of gestalt hive-mind approach, but it might become a bit complicated.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Here's a thought inspired by the false Keraptis sock puppets or whatever they were called.

What if we make "Protistron segment" a template that can apply to a usual slime mold swarm or slug? Essentially, that would grant it a Hive Mind and some spellcasting ability that scales with the number of other segments in the vicinity.

Cleon

Legend
Here's a thought inspired by the false Keraptis sock puppets or whatever they were called.

What if we make "Protistron segment" a template that can apply to a usual slime mold swarm or slug? Essentially, that would grant it a Hive Mind and some spellcasting ability that scales with the number of other segments in the vicinity.

I'm dubious about us having to make it a template. Why not just add those traits to the base slime mold and call it a "Protiston"?

It'd probably also be able to sense through any individual slime mold amoebas within range.

Cleon

Legend
Come to think of it, the flavour text says that Protiston gets more intelligent the more of it there is concentrated in one place.

Therefore, if we have each element cast spells as a Wizard, its Intelligence-dependent spellcasting will automatically increase the more other elements are in its vicinity, just from it having a higher Int score.

freyar

Good point, no need to make it a template. But essentially make it a swarm/slug that has a hive mind with the rest of the Protiston slugs.

I agree that the Int increase will boost the casting, but it sounds like there's probably a CL increase also....

Cleon

Legend
Good point, no need to make it a template. But essentially make it a swarm/slug that has a hive mind with the rest of the Protiston slugs.

I agree that the Int increase will boost the casting, but it sounds like there's probably a CL increase also....

I don't mind giving them a boost on the CL effectiveness of their spells, but I don't want us to have to recalculate a new caster level whenever they add or remove a cluster from their hive mind!

freyar

Shade makes an interesting point about the genius loci, but can we do that for the swarm? It would certainly be easiest to stick to 1 statblock.

Cleon

Legend
Shade makes an interesting point about the genius loci, but can we do that for the swarm? It would certainly be easiest to stick to 1 statblock.

Not in favor of the Genius Loci form, since the original split itself up into separate bodies.

We can easily make it a single statblock by just giving it a "Swarm form" special quality that gives it some of the abilities of a swarm - distraction, the ability to reshape its Space, and the ability to squeeze through anywhere that a Tiny creature could fit.

freyar

You mean, essentially a swarm, but with a Colossal space, rather than the 10 ft. square. That's essentially the generalization of the genius loci; you can have the swarm, the "swarm of slugs," and the super-slug.

Remove ads