Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sure, sounds fine.

Seize Throat in the original monster sounds a lot like the bite version of Constrict that I think we usually call Gnaw. We could consider adding something like Strangle (wish I could remember what critters have that), which stops you from speaking (prevents casting spells with V components).

Cleon

Legend
Sure, sounds fine.

Seize Throat in the original monster sounds a lot like the bite version of Constrict that I think we usually call Gnaw. We could consider adding something like Strangle (wish I could remember what critters have that), which stops you from speaking (prevents casting spells with V components).

Didn't we give something like that to our Revenant conversion?

freyar

Not the revenant-magna, but it's in constrict for the tirapheg and strangle vine (probably among others).

By the way, it turns out gnaw is what we called the rend equivalent, and chew is the constrict equivalent. So something like this?

Chew (Ex): A loup du noir in wolf form that grapples an opponent in its mouth does XdX points of damage each round that it maintains the grapple. Because it seizes victims by the neck, a creature in a loup du noir’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Not the revenant-magna, but it's in constrict for the tirapheg and strangle vine (probably among others).

By the way, it turns out gnaw is what we called the rend equivalent, and chew is the constrict equivalent. So something like this?

Chew (Ex): A loup du noir in wolf form that grapples an opponent in its mouth does XdX points of damage each round that it maintains the grapple. Because it seizes victims by the neck, a creature in a loup du noir’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

That description is fine, but I like the name "Seize Throat" better.

Hmm, the cutting off speech text presumes the creature uses its throat to talk, and also that it doesn't have multiple necks to talk through.

Although I don't think we need to alter it - it seems covered by normal "Multiple Head" SQs.

freyar

I'm certainly not putting in text about multiple heads and necks. ;p As you say, that should be part of the multi-headed monster.

I actually want to tweak the wording. How's this? I want to keep "Chew" in the SA title to remember the more standard ability.

Seize Throat and Chew (Ex): A loup du noir in wolf form that grapples an opponent in its mouth chews its victim for 2d6+3 points of damage each round that it maintains the grapple. Because it seizes victims by the neck, a creature in a loup du noir’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

By the way, how on earth does the bite damage get +12 in wolf form? Did you forget to change the Str bonus?

Cleon

Legend
I'm certainly not putting in text about multiple heads and necks. ;p As you say, that should be part of the multi-headed monster.

It was one of my wiser heads that made the suggestion. :p;)

I actually want to tweak the wording. How's this? I want to keep "Chew" in the SA title to remember the more standard ability.

Seize Throat and Chew (Ex): A loup du noir in wolf form that grapples an opponent in its mouth chews its victim for 2d6+3 points of damage each round that it maintains the grapple. Because it seizes victims by the neck, a creature in a loup du noir’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

Better, although it'd be even better without the "and Chew". :cool:

Seize Throat and Chew (Ex): A loup du noir in wolf form that grapples an opponent with its bite attack can automatically chew its opponent for 2d6+12 points of damage every round it maintains the grapple. Because it seizes victims by the neck, a creature in a loup du noir’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

By the way, how on earth does the bite damage get +12 in wolf form? Did you forget to change the Str bonus?

What do you mean? The Loup du Noir has Strength 27 in Dire Wolf form.

That's a +8 Str bonus, with a 50% bonus for its bite being its lone natural weapon.

freyar

Well, the precedent is for it just to be "Chew" without the "Seize Throat," so maybe we can compromise and put in both? ;)

I always forget when critters get 1-1/2 Str for natural weapons. But you're certainly right; the dire wolf gets that. Where is that in the SRD again?

EDIT: yes, we should bump the damage on the chewing bit, too. Not sure where the +3 came from, actually.

Cleon

Legend
Well, the precedent is for it just to be "Chew" without the "Seize Throat," so maybe we can compromise and put in both? ;)

I always forget when critters get 1-1/2 Str for natural weapons. But you're certainly right; the dire wolf gets that. Where is that in the SRD again?

EDIT: yes, we should bump the damage on the chewing bit, too. Not sure where the +3 came from, actually.

Probably came from a creature with a lower Strength bonus.

Updating the Loup du Noir Working Draft.

freyar

I think you can update with curse of lycanthropy from post 660 as well.

Should we work on the wolfskin next?

Remove ads