Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

Shade

Monster Junkie
I prefer Stealthy, to help them move around in the trees without being heard. Indeed, I might even go for a racial bonus on Move Silently checks.

I'll go for that. +4 to Move Silently, +8 to Hide in similar-colored vegetation?

Cleon

Legend
I'll go for that. +4 to Move Silently, +8 to Hide in similar-colored vegetation?

I'd be happy with that.

I'll update the Draft.

EDIT: I Updated the Working Draft. I split its skill points equally between Climb and Listen. Oh, I also lowered its land speed and added a Climb speed - I'd forgotten to change the 30 ft. speed of the Lesser Ground Sloth!

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
We'll need to add the Single Actions Only writeup to the Combat section.

CR looks about right.

I suppose we just need flavor and tactics.

Cleon

Legend
We'll need to add the Single Actions Only writeup to the Combat section.

CR looks about right.

I suppose we just need flavor and tactics.

Updating the Working Draft with single action only.

Upon reflection, tree sloths are almost useless in a fight, so I'd make the claw a secondary weapon like a non-combat trained horse's hoof attack.

If we make its claws secondary I think we'd better lower the CR to, say, 1/6 or 1/8.

Also, tree sloths are less maneuverable on the ground than in the trees or water, so I'm lowering the land speed to 15 ft.

I added this for the flavour and tactics:

An animal the size of a large house cat, covered in long coarse hair. All four limbs are equipped with large, blunt claws that fold back onto its palms. It has a small, round head with a flat face.

Tree sloths are small arboreal herbivores that live in the trees of tropical forests, feeding of new leaves, buds and the occasional insect. There are a half-dozen species of tree sloths, divided into two-toed and three-toed sloths depending on how many toes they have on their front feet (their hind feet always have three toes). All their toes have strong, curved claws adapted for gripping tree branches. The different species of tree sloth are similar enough to use the same stats.

A tree sloth is proverbially slothful, these sluggish creatures rely on camouflage and stealth to avoid their enemies. A sloth's fur is brown or grey-brown in color, but it has hollow hairs that often become colonized with mold and algae which give it a green coloration, which aids its camouflage among the leaves of the trees in which it dwells.

A tree sloth is 18 inches to 2 feet long and weighs about 5 to 12 pounds. Two-toed tree sloths are a bit larger, and can weigh up to 18 pounds.

COMBAT

Tree sloths are inoffensive creatures. They hide from threats or, if that proves ineffective, try to climb to the safety of the thinnest branches of a tree. A tree sloth may scratch at an attacker in a desperate attempt to escape, but their claws are so blunt and slow they make poor weapons. A tree sloth's claw attack
is treated as a secondary attack and adds only half the sloth's Strength bonus to damage.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Absolutely! This should be fun...a lycanthrope who actually becomes less effective in hybrid and animal form. ;)

Well, at least the DR/Silver will be of some use. :p

Shall I start a working draft?

The sample Weresloth has Low intelligence, so should I use a Int-penalty race for the base creature (i.e. a half-orc), or put the 8 of its ability array in Int?

Remove ads