Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
+15 is a weird number for a racial skill bonus. If we need to go more than +12, I guess go with +16. But I think I'd rather just give it SF (Hide) as a normal feat and keep to +12 on the racial bonus. Or represent the extra surprise bonus by Imp Init. To be honest, I think I prefer +12 Hide (underground) and Imp Init.

Cleon

Legend
+15 is a weird number for a racial skill bonus. If we need to go more than +12, I guess go with +16. But I think I'd rather just give it SF (Hide) as a normal feat and keep to +12 on the racial bonus. Or represent the extra surprise bonus by Imp Init. To be honest, I think I prefer +12 Hide (underground) and Imp Init.

It's currently got Improved Initiative, so making that a (B) instead of Skill Focus (Hide) makes no difference to the stats.

Giving it +12 Hide means it's only 2 points better at Hide than a Dense Pudding. In 2nd edition AD&D Surprise Rolls are made on a d10, so the Gray Pudding's got the equivalent of a 4-point advantage over the Dense Pudding.

Hmm, I'd rather give it the +16 racial bonus you suggested earlier and re-wrangle the numbers to it has Hide -2. That way it's got 4 points more Hide when in a cave.

I'd still like to give it Skill Focus, but in Move Silently, so it's quieter than the Dense Pudding's +10.

Like this...

Skill Ranks (13 SPs): Climb 0, Hide 9, Move Silently 4, Listen 0

Skills: Climb +11, Hide -2*, Move Silently +12, Listen +8
Feats: Improved Initiative, Reckless Offense, Skill Focus (Move Silently), Stealthy, Weapon Focus (slam)
[One of these feats needs to be cut or turned into (B), I'd rather keep all the feats and make one of them a Bonus Feat. It doesn't matter that much which one.]

Skills: A gray pudding has a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks. Gray puddings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

*A gray pudding has a +16 circumstance bonus to Hide checks in natural underground terrain such as caves.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather go the +12/Skill Focus (Hide) route, but can accept +16.

I'll update it with the +16 Hide and Skill Focus (Move Silently) solution then.

Dang it, my previous post's feat list didn't have the (Move Silently) after the Skill Focus. I'd better explicate that.

Updating Working Draft.

Last edited:

freyar

I think we figured it out. ;)

Gray puddings attack from ambush, grappling and constricting as often as possible.

Cleon

Legend
I think we figured it out. ;)

Gray puddings attack from ambush, grappling and constricting as often as possible.

How about "Gray puddings use their stealth skills to attack from ambush, grappling and constricting as often as possible."

Also, we haven't decided on what we're doing about its peculiar spell vulnerabilities:

Gray puddings are unusually susceptible to certain spells, provided those enchantments get past its magic resistance. These spells include flesh to stone, which acts as a slow spell on the pudding, and airy water, which alters the pudding’s form enough to drown it in its own fluid mass in 2d4 rounds.

freyar

Hmm, borrow the language from a golem's immunity to magic? But what spell should we substitute for airy water?

freyar

Sure, that'll work.

"Not sure of ability name" (Su): Certain spells and effects function differently against a gray pudding, as noted below.

Flesh to stone acts as a slow spell on the pudding.

Transmute rock to mud causes the pudding to suffocate in its own mass. The pudding must immediately make a DC 10 Constitution check (and one each following round with DC of 10+1 per round) or start drowning. See the drowning rules in the SRD.

The pudding receives no save against either of these effects.

Do you think we ought to give it some way to get out of drowning?

Remove ads