Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This variety of subterranean pudding has 10 Hit Dice and is always found at its maximum hit point total (80 hp). Slower than gray pudding, the dense variety has learned from its “relatives” to cling to the shadows and use surprise to its advantage by dropping on potential meals. Targets suffer a –2 to their surprise rolls. Dense pudding is easy to spot in the open because of its dark blue coloration and large size.
Hmm, I'm glad I insisted that they don't get a Hide bonus above ground. ;)

Tactics: Dense puddings prefer to hide in shadows in order to attack with surprise. Particularly enterprising dense puddings will Climb onto cavern ceilings in order to drop on their prey.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, I'm glad I insisted that they don't get a Hide bonus above ground. ;)

Yes, I noticed that too. We'd better remember the "dark blue" bit for the description.

Tactics: Dense puddings prefer to hide in shadows in order to attack with surprise. Particularly enterprising dense puddings will Climb onto cavern ceilings in order to drop on their prey.

Not in favour of the "particularly enterprising" bit. Dropping on opponents seems to be a favoured tactic: "the dense variety has learned from its “relatives” to cling to the shadows and use surprise to its advantage by dropping on potential meals".

Oh, and we've got two lots of "in order to". I'd cut one out.

COMBAT
Dense puddings prefer to hide in shadows in order to attack with surprise. They often climb across cavern walls and low ceilings to drop upon their prey. These oozes are as intelligent as many humanoids, so can learn tricks and tactics to gain advantages over their opponents.

Cleon

Legend
Sheesh, try to make the tactics sound a little more interesting.... ;) But this looks fine.

Well the original monster only mentions them using a "death from above" strategy, and I didn't feel like coming up with something from whole cloth.

Updating the Working Draft.

Suggestions for the description and background?

Cleon

Legend
Most of the MM oozes have very little flavor text, so we can probably skimp here, too.

Well the original monster isn't exactly fleshed out, either.

How about.

A viscous pile of slime resembling a massive lump of dark blue oatmeal.

Dense puddings are a variety of subterranean pudding, a family of underground oozes related to the black pudding. All subterranean puddings are intelligent, unlike most oozes, but they only use their intelligence to pursue food and reproduction. They have no interest in more abstract goals.

A typical dense pudding measures 15 feet across and 2 feet thick. It weighs about 22,500 pounds.

COMBAT

Dense puddings prefer to hide in shadows in order to attack with surprise. They often climb across cavern walls and low ceilings to drop upon their prey. These oozes are as intelligent as many humanoids, so can learn tricks and tactics to gain advantages over their opponents.

Remove ads