Modifying Under Performing SRD Monsters, or "Building A Better Otyugh"

Cleon

Legend
I was reading Noism's [Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Manual over on Enworld a few days ago and saw a post by demiurge criticizing the mechanical weakness of the 3E Otyugh which got me thinking. There are some monsters in the 3E SRD that I find a little … unsatisfactory. They don't quite match the abilities I expect for them.

Now, I'm not talking about stuff like a mechanically and conceptually sound monster being CR6 when it should be CR5, but monsters that seem to have the wrong stats, or don't have much resemblance to previous versions of D&D, or just don't play like you'd like them to.

The SRD Otyugh is an excellent example, just compare its stats to an Ogre. The 3E Otyugh is less of a threat than the SRD Ogre. It's slower and does less damage, even if it hits with all three of its attacks (2d6+1d4 versus 2d8+7). Filth fever doesn't make up for it, due to it having a mediocre DC and taking days to take effect, leaving plenty of time for a magical cure.

Worse, as demiurge points out it's a grappling monster with a mediocre grapple bonus.

Then there's the missing abilities - 2E Otyughs have immunity to disease, which makes perfect sense. Where did that disappear to? Plus they possessed telepathy and the "cannot be surprised" ability, which makes a lot of difference to how they play.

Blast it, the 3E Otyugh isn't even much good at Hiding in a dungheap, considering its poor Hide modifier.

Overall, Third Edition D&D's version of the Otyugh is a weak CR3 monster in CR4 clothing.

So, I decided to start this thread dedicated to modifying SRD monsters to our tastes. I was originally planning to do a cooperative conversion of the Otyugh and Neo-Otyugh, but I got carried away and finished statting up my version before I got around to launching this thread.

You'll find my version of the "Better Otyugh" and the Neo-Otyugh below. Here's a few notes on how I designed it.

Building a Better Otyugh
The SRD Otyugh is too weak, 2E Otyughs have Strength 18, tentacles which do 1d8 damage and immunity to disease, which all seem reasonable for a Large monster, so I stuck those in. Con 13 seemed a bit low, so I gave it a +4 on those stats, rationalizing that they'd accidentally used some of the stats for a Medium-sized immature Otyugh.

I added the special abilities of Telepathy and All-Around Facing, which accounts for the traditional Otyugh being very hard to surprise.

A 2E Otyugh has Intelligence 5-10, so I arbitrarily bumped my version up to Int 7 instead of 5, close to the average of that range. It doesn't make any difference to its stats, but it felt right.

Toughness is a useless feat, so I changed it for Lightning Reflexes, which is far more useful. Otyughs are described as being able to turn very quickly, so I thought it not too much of a leap that they are surprisingly good at stepping out of the way of a reflex-save attack.

Otyughs are renowned for their keen eyesight, so I granted it a racial bonus to Spot. I also bumped up its Hide racial bonus to +12, to give it a fair chance of successfully skulking in a midden.

Oh, and I changed the dimensions and weight. A 2E Otyugh is 6' across, not 8', and 500 pounds is woefully light. I calculated that a 6' tall 6' diameter cone has a volume of about 56.5 cubic feet, which is a rough approximation of an Otyugh's size and shape. At regular flesh densities, 56.5 cubic feet would weigh about 2800 pounds, which I rounded down to 2000 pounds since its 6' height includes its legs.

Finally, I toyed with the idea of giving the Otyugh a Stench attack like a ghast, a Burrow speed (through garbage) or tremorsense but decided against it. Although they're arguably thematically appropriate, earlier versions of the monster didn't possess these abilities.

Building a Neo-Otyugh
The Neo-Otyugh was straightforward once the Otyugh was done. It's a size larger and tougher, so I adjusted the Str, Con and Natural Armour to fit, although I didn't reduce its Dexterity as it felt right at Dex 10. It's smarter, so I upped its Intelligence to Int 10 (the average of the 2E version's 8-12), which gives it more skill ranks.

The only ability a Neo-Otyugh possesses that a regular 2E Otyugh doesn't was "neo-otyughs use their victims as shields, bettering their Armor Class by 1. Neo-otyughs may also force attackers to hit the grappled character with a successful attack roll of its own (vs. the grappled character's AC); to do this the neo-otyugh forgoes its squeeze attack.", which became a Wield Foe special attack. Its Telepathy is a bit better, so I tweaked the fluff text to indicate that.

Cleon

Legend
Otyugh Redux

OTYUGH REDUX
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +8 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Tentacle +8 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +8 melee (1d8+4) and bite +2 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (15 ft. with tentacle)
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+4, disease, gnaw 1d4+2, improved grab
Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 40 ft.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide –1*[+11 in Lair], Listen +6, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (tentacle)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or cluster (3–4)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 7–8 HD (Large); 9–18 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Swaggering around on three squat legs is a monstrosity that looks, and reeks, like a ambulatory dungheap. Its conical body has two long tentacles protruding from opposite sides, and a wormlike stalk emerging from the top which ends in a string of three eyes. Both tentacles end in heart-shaped claspers, lined with spikes and suckers. The creature's only other obvious feature is a fanged maw set in the front of its body, between the tentacles.

A typical otyugh has a body 6 feet in diameter and stands 6 feet tall, not including its 6 foot long eyestalk or 15 foot long tentacles. It weighs about 2000 pounds.

Otyughs can communicate telepathically with any sapient creature but are also capable of speech. Most learn the major language of whatever waste-producing race lives near them, generally Common, Orc, Goblin or Giant.

Otyughs can eat almost anything organic and thrive on a diet of filth. They often form symbiotic relationships with other creatures, often tribes of humanoids or dangerous monsters. In return for their allies’ dung and refuse they serve as living waste disposals, and may provide addition services such as a sentry or treasure guardian.

Otyughs, and their larger offshoots the neo-otyughs, share a language of their own, much of which is non-verbal (tentacle and eye stalk gestures, body posture and movement and discharging meaningful smells, plus telepathic projection and reception).

Combat
An otyugh attacks living creatures if it feels threatened or if it is hungry; otherwise it is content to remain hidden. They are constantly alert for intruders and extraordinarily difficult to surprise, due to their telepathy and superb panoramic eyesight. Otyughs slash and squeeze opponents with their tentacles, which they also use to drag prey into their mouths.

An otyugh only uses its gnaw attack against grappled opponents when it senses they are helpless or too puny to pose a threat, constricting foes that continue to put up a serious fight.

Otyughs know they are too slow to flee a fight, although they may retreat to a secure bolt-hole, such as a hollow under a mound of garbage or a cistern that can only be reached by swimming down a pipe filled with sewage. If faced with death, an otyugh may try to trade its treasure for its life, grimly fighting to the death if this offer fails.

All-Around Facing (Ex): Otyughs can not be flanked. An otyugh’s tripodal gait allows it to turn around with startling speed, when combined with their flexible eyestalk and tentacles they can look, move and fight in any direction with equal faculty.

Constrict (Ex): An otyugh deals automatic tentacle damage with a successful grapple check.

Disease (Ex): Filth fever—bite, Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 1d3 days; damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an otyugh must hit with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can Constrict or Gnaw.

Gnaw (Ex): An otyugh can deal automatic bite damage with a successful grapple check.

Telepathy (Su): An otyugh can automatically detect the presence of any conscious being with an Intelligence score within a 40 foot radius of its position. It can sense the direction of the mind, but not their intelligence or precise location. The otyugh can not delve into the thoughts of the minds it detects, but can sense their general emotional state.

An otyugh's telepathy allows it to comprehend the basic meaning of any communications the minds it detects attempt to make, although only as crude one to four word concepts. For example, if a person offers a complicated peace treaty to an otyugh it would only understand "Me make friends".

As well as receiving thoughts, an otyugh can project its own thoughts to be "heard" by any unshielded mind within range of its telepathy. Its ability to project thoughts is limited to the same crude concepts as its ability to receive thoughts.

Otyugh telepathy can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it. It is useless against any effect that blocks mind-affecting powers, such as thought shield or mind blank.

Skills: Otyughs have a +4 racial bonus on Spot checks from its keen eyesight. *An otyugh has a +12 racial bonus on Hide checks when in its lair, due to its natural coloration.

IMMATURE OTYUGHS
Aww, aren’t they cute? Following my usual obsession for completeness, I offer you stat-blocks for the juvenile stages of otyughs. I have not included the adult or Advanced versions (Huge or maximized otyughs), although I may add them later.

Immature otyughs resemble miniature versions of the adults. A newborn or Infant otyugh's eyestalk and tentacle-end claspers are almost as large as a juvenile's, making these organs look oversized, similar to how many mammalian babies have large heads.

Newborn Otyugh (Same stats as an infant otyugh, except they lack extra Reach with their tentacles)

A typical newborn otyugh is 2½ feet in diameter and stands 2½ feet tall, with 6 foot long tentacles. It weighs 150 pounds.

Infant Otyugh (Medium Aberration, Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19hp); Init: +0; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); AC: 15 (+5 natural) touch 10, flat-footed 15; Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2; Attack: Tentacle +3 melee (1d6); Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +3 melee (1d6) and bite -3 melee (1d3 plus disease); Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft (10 ft. with tentacles), Special Attacks: Constrict 1d6, disease [DC13], gnaw 1d3, improved grab; Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 40 ft.; Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4; Abilities: Str 11, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 6; Skills: Hide +2* [+14 in lair], Listen +3, Spot +7; Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (tentacle); CR: 2)

An infant otyugh is 3 feet in diameter and stands 3 feet tall, with 8 foot long tentacles. It weighs 250 pounds.

Juvenile Otyugh (Large Aberration, Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26hp); Init: +0; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); AC: 15 (-1 size, +6 natural) touch 10, flat-footed 15; Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+9; Attack: Tentacle +6 melee (1d6+2); Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +6 melee (1d6+2) and bite +0 melee (1d3+1 plus disease); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft (10 ft. with tentacles), Special Attacks: Constrict 1d6+2, disease [DC14], gnaw 1d3+1, improved grab; Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 40 ft.; Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +5; Abilities: Str 14, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 6; Skills: Hide -1* [+11 in lair], Listen +3, Spot +7; Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (tentacle); CR: 3)

A juvenile otyugh is 4 feet in diameter and stands 3½ feet tall, with 10 foot long tentacles. It weighs 500 pounds.

Adolescent Otyugh (Large Aberration, Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37hp); Init: +0; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); AC: 16 (-1 size, +7 natural) touch 9, flat-footed 16; Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+10; Attack: Tentacle +6 melee (1d8+3); Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +6 melee (1d8+3) and bite +0 melee (1d4+1 plus disease); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft (15 ft. with tentacles), Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+3, disease [DC15], gnaw 1d4+1, improved grab; Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 40 ft.; Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +5; Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 6; Skills: Hide -1* [+11 in lair], Listen +3, Spot +8; Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (tentacle); CR: 3)

An adolescent otyugh is 5’ in diameter and stands 4½’ tall, with 12’ long tentacles. It weighs 1000 pounds.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Neo-Otyugh

NEO-OTYUGH
Huge Aberration
Hit Dice: 9d8+45 (85 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (–2 size, +12 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 20 [See wield foe]
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+22
Attack: Tentacle +13 melee (2d6+8) or shield +12 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +13 melee (2d6+8) and bite +7 melee (1d4+4) or tentacle +13 melee (2d6+8) and shield +12 melee (1d6+4) and bite +7 melee (1d4+4)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with tentacle)
Special Attacks: Constrict 2d6+8, disease, gnaw 1d4+4, improved grab, wield foe
Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +7
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +4* [+16 in lair], Listen +9, Spot +13
Feats: Alertness, Lightning Reflexes, Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus (tentacle)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or cluster (3–4)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 10–18 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Swaggering around on three squat legs is a monstrosity that looks, and reeks, like a ambulatory dungheap. Its conical body has two long, muscular tentacles protruding from opposite sides, and is topped by a wormlike stalk that ends in a string of three eyes. Both tentacles end in heart-shaped claspers, lined with spikes and suckers. The creature's only other obvious feature is a fanged maw set in the front of its body, between the tentacles.

A typical neo-otyugh has a body 8 feet in diameter and stands 7 feet tall, not including its 8 foot long eyestalk or 20 foot long tentacles. It weighs about 4000 pounds.

Neo-otyughs can communicate telepathically with any sapient creature but are also capable of speech. Most learn the major language of whatever waste-producing race lives near them, generally Common, Orc, Goblin or Giant.

Neo-otyughs can eat almost anything organic and thrive on a diet of filth. They often form symbiotic relationships with other creatures, often tribes of humanoids or dangerous monsters. In return for their allies’ dung and refuse they serve as living waste disposals, and may provide addition services such as a sentry or treasure guardian.

Neo-otyughs, and their smaller kin the otyughs, , share a language of their own, much of which is non-verbal (tentacle and eye stalk gestures, body posture and movement and discharging meaningful smells, plus telepathic projection and reception).

Combat
A neo-otyugh attacks living creatures if it feels threatened or if it is hungry; otherwise it is content to remain hidden. They are constantly alert for intruders and extraordinarily difficult to surprise, due to their telepathy and superb panoramic eyesight. Neo-otyughs slash and squeeze opponents with their tentacles, which they also use to drag prey into their mouths. They sometimes pick up an opponent and wield them as a bludgeoning and parrying weapon.

A neo-otyugh only uses its gnaw attack against grappled opponents when it senses they are helpless or too puny to pose a threat, constricting foes that continue to put up a serious fight.

Neo-otyughs know they are too slow to flee a fight, although they may retreat to a secure bolt-hole, such as a hollow under a mound of garbage or a cistern that can only be reached by swimming down a pipe filled with sewage. If faced with death a neo-otyugh will bargain and bluff for its life, willingly giving up treasure to save themselves. They are intelligent enough to be deceitful, some neo-otyughs will lure their captors toward traps and allied monsters, or only give up a portion of their treasure while pretending to surrender everything they own.

If such ploys fail, the neo-otyugh will grimly fight to the death.

All-Around Facing (Ex): Neo-otyughs can not be flanked. A neo-otyugh’s tripodal gait allows it to turn around with startling speed, when combined with their flexible eyestalk and tentacles they can look, move and fight in any direction with equal faculty.

Constrict (Ex): A neo-otyugh deals automatic tentacle damage with a successful grapple check.

Disease (Ex): Filth fever—bite, Fortitude DC 19, incubation period 1d3 days; damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a neo-otyugh must hit with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can Constrict, Gnaw or Wield Foe.

Neo-otyughs have a +4 racial bonus to all their grapple checks.

Gnaw (Ex): A neo-otyugh can deal automatic bite damage with a successful grapple check.

Telepathy (Su): A neo-otyugh can automatically detect the presence of any conscious being with an Intelligence score within a 60 foot radius of its position. It can sense the direction of the mind, but not their intelligence or precise location. The neo-otyugh can not delve into the thoughts of the minds it detects, but can sense their general emotional state.

A neo-otyugh's telepathy allows it to comprehend the basic meaning of any communications the minds it detects attempt to make, although it will not fully translate any complex or abstract concepts. For example, if a person offers a complicated peace treaty to a neo-otyugh it may only understand "I offer you food in return for friendship".

As well as receiving thoughts, a neo-otyugh can project its own thoughts to be "heard" by any unshielded mind within range of its telepathy. Its ability to project thoughts is limited to the same basic concepts as its ability to receive thoughts.

Neo-otyugh telepathy can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it. It is useless against any effect that blocks mind-affecting powers, such as thought shield or mind blank.

Wield Foe (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a neo-otyugh can wield a Small or Medium sized creature as a weapon or shield.

Used as a weapon, the neo-otyugh makes a single attack roll against both the AC of the target and the flat-footed AC of the creature it is wielding. It inflicts 1d6+4 damage if it hits either.

Used as a shield, the neo-otyugh gains a +1 shield bonus (AC 21, touch 8, flat -footed 21) and can attempt to block one melee attack from any creature within its reach. The otyugh makes an attack roll with its shield, if this roll equals or exceeds the attack roll of its opponent, the opponent's melee attack hits the wielded creature instead of its intended target, inflicting damage if the opponent's attack roll would hit the wielded creature's flat-footed armour class. The opponent need only rolls its normal damage against the wielded creature, they do not add any extra damage from criticals or special combat manoeuvres such as the Power Attack feat or a rogue's Sneak Attack.

Skills: Neo-otyughs have a +4 racial bonus on Spot checks from its keen eyesight. *A neo-otyugh has a +12 racial bonus on Hide checks when in its lair, due to its natural coloration.

IMMATURE NEO-OTYUGHS

Like the otyugh earlier, here are stats for the juvenile stages of neo-otyughs, sans the adult and Advanced versions (maximized neo-otyughs) which I may add later if I can be bothered.

Newborn Neo-Otyugh (Same stats as a infant neo-otyugh, except they lack extra Reach with their tentacles)

A typical newborn neo-otyugh is 2½ feet in diameter and stands 2½ feet tall, with 6 foot long tentacles. It weighs 150 pounds.

Infant Neo-Otyugh (Medium Aberration, Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19hp); Init: +0; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); AC: 15 (+5 natural) touch 10, flat-footed 15; Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2; Attack: Tentacle +3 melee (1d6); Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +3 melee (1d6) and bite -3 melee (1d2 plus disease); Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft (10 ft. with tentacles), Special Attacks: Constrict 1d6, disease [DC13], gnaw 1d3, improved grab; Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 60 ft.; Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4; Abilities: Str 11, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6; Skills: Hide +4* [+16 in lair], Listen +5, Spot +9; Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (tentacle); CR: 2)

An infant neo-otyugh is 3 feet in diameter and stands 3 feet tall, with 8 foot long tentacles. It weighs 250 pounds.

Juvenile Neo-Otyugh (Large Aberration, Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37hp); Init: +0; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); AC: 16 (-1 size, +7 natural) touch 9, flat-footed 16; Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+10; Attack: Tentacle +6 melee (1d8+3); Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +6 melee (1d8+3) and bite +0 melee (1d3+1 plus disease); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft (15 ft. with tentacles), Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+3, disease [DC15], gnaw 1d3+1, improved grab; Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 60 ft.; Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +5; Abilities: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6; Skills: Hide +2* [+14 in lair], Listen +6, Spot +10; Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus (tentacle); CR: 3)

A juvenile neo-otyugh is 4½ feet in diameter and stands 4 feet tall, with 12 foot long tentacles. It weighs 800 pounds.

Adolescent Neo-Otyugh (Large Aberration, Hit Dice: 7d8+28 (59hp); Init: +0; Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares); AC: 18 (-1 size, +9 natural) touch 9, flat-footed 18; Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13; Attack: Tentacle +9 melee (1d8+5); Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +9 melee (1d8+5) and bite +3 melee (1d3+2 plus disease) or tentacle +9 melee (1d8+5) and shield +8 melee (1d4+2) and bite +3 melee (1d3+2 plus disease); Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft (15 ft. with tentacles), Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+5, disease [DC17], gnaw 1d3+2, improved grab, wield foe; Special Qualities: All-around facing, darkvision 90 ft., immunity to disease, scent, telepathy 60 ft.; Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +6; Abilities: Str 21, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6; Skills: Hide +4* [+16 in lair], Listen +7, Spot +11; Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus (tentacle); CR: 4)

An adolescent neo-otyugh is 7 feet in diameter and stands 5½ feet tall, with 15 foot long tentacles. It weighs 2500 pounds.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I hope that will give this thread a good start.

So, what would you all like to do, critique the Otyughs or start on a co-operative conversion to "re-imagine" another SRD monster?

If the latter, I'll suggest the Tyrannosaurus. It just isn't quite the Prehistoric Terror I would like it to be.

Unless people would prefer going through the entire SRD alphabetically.:lol:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Interesting! Do these do both Gnaw and Constrict damage with a single grapple check? That's a little unusual. Overall, I like it though!

The ogre mage is one that often comes up as needing work, if you want a nomination. But pretty much all the dinos need help.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I can't say I'm a fan of giving them both gnaw and constrict, but other than that, looks pretty good! I think you may have gone a bit too far in the other direction with its Strength score--now there's very little chance for someone level-appropriate to escape its grapple (and grappling is always a major frustration, especially at low levels). I also think that Multiattack would be a better feat for it than Weapon Focus.

I agree that the dinosaurs need some significant work--that's why I did the World of Kong project! I pretty much consider the "juvenile V. rex" stats as my canon Tyrannosaurus, with a few modifications. Let's take a look, shall we?

VASTATOSAURUS REX (SUBADULT)
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 12d8+84 (138 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +10 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+26
Attack: Bite +17 melee (3d6+9/ 19-20)
Full Attack: Bite +17 melee (3d6+9/ 19-20) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 15ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole, worry 6d6+9
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +11, Will +6
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 11
Skills: Hide +6, Listen +11, Move Silently +10, Spot +11, Survival +9
Feats: Alertness, Improved Critical (bite), Run, Track, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or company (3-4)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 13-17 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

A monstrous bipedal reptile emerges, its hide crisscrossed with scars. The creature’s head is massive, easily large enough to swallow you whole. Its fingers clench as if in anticipation as it bellows a challenge.

Improved Grab (Ex): In order to use this ability, a vastatosaurus must hit an opponent with its bite attack. If it successfully gets a hold, it can worry or swallow its opponent whole.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A vastatosaurus can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to two sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes 2d8+9 points of bludgeoning damage and 8 points of acid damage per round from the vastatosaurus’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 12). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Huge vastatosaurus’s gizzard can hold 2 Medium, 8 Small, 32 Tiny, or 128 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Worry (Ex): Each round a subadult vastatosaurus maintains a grapple, it shakes its prey violently, dealing to it 6d6+9 points of damage.

Skills: Surprisingly stealthy for their size, subadult vastatosaurs gain a +8 racial bonus on all Hide checks and a +4 racial bonus on all Move Silently checks. They also receive a +4 racial bonus on all Listen, Spot and Survival checks.

I'd strip off the claw attacks and then give the bite the requisite x1.5 times Str modifier to damage. Increase both Str and Con a bit--I think I slightly undervalued this as a CR 8.

Cleon

Legend
Interesting! Do these do both Gnaw and Constrict damage with a single grapple check? That's a little unusual. Overall, I like it though!

The ogre mage is one that often comes up as needing work, if you want a nomination. But pretty much all the dinos need help.

No, it’s Constrict or Gnaw, not Constrict and Gnaw, the Otyugh doesn't do both simultaneously.

In some earlier editions, if an otyugh is constriction a foe and they stop moving, the otyugh sometimes starts tearing chunks out of them while continuing to fight with its other tentacle and bite. I think I’d better add a bit to the Combat tactics to explain that:
An otyugh only uses its gnaw attack against grappled opponents when it senses they are helpless or too puny to pose a threat, constricting foes that continue to put up a serious fight.
It doesn’t have any notes as to how it reacts to losing a fight, better add something about that too:
Otyughs know they are too slow to flee a fight, although they may retreat to a secure bolt-hole, such as a hollow under a mound of garbage or a cistern that can only be reached by swimming down a pipe filled with sewage. If faced with death, an otyugh may try to trade its treasure for its life, grimly fighting to the death if this offer fails.
Neo-otyughs are craftier, so I think I should describe a few more options.
Neo-otyughs know they are too slow to flee a fight, although they may retreat to a secure bolt-hole, such as a hollow under a mound of garbage or a cistern that can only be reached by swimming down a pipe filled with sewage. If faced with death a neo-otyugh will bargain and bluff for its life, willingly giving up treasure to save themselves. They are intelligent enough to be deceitful, some neo-otyughs will lure their captors toward traps and allied monsters, or only give up a portion of their treasure while pretending to surrender everything they own.

If such ploys fail, the neo-otyugh will grimly fight to the death.
Oh, and seeing as to how I’ve mentioned allied monsters, that deserves some explanation in the general text:
Otyughs can eat almost anything organic and thrive on a diet of filth. They often form symbiotic relationships with other creatures, often tribes of humanoids or dangerous monsters. In return for their allies’ dung and refuse they serve as living waste disposals, and may provide addition services such as a sentry or treasure guardian.

Cleon

Legend
I can't say I'm a fan of giving them both gnaw and constrict, but other than that, looks pretty good! I think you may have gone a bit too far in the other direction with its Strength score--now there's very little chance for someone level-appropriate to escape its grapple (and grappling is always a major frustration, especially at low levels). I also think that Multiattack would be a better feat for it than Weapon Focus.

I agree with you that grapple is too high, probably shouldn't have given it a racial bonus to grapple checks. It just seemed appropriate, but the basic otyugh will function fine without it, grapple +12 is enough to deal with 4th level characters. I'll take it out.

As for Multiattack, I thought about it, but realized it just gave it a +3 attack bonus with a measly 1d4+half-Str damage bite attack, while Weapon Focus (tentacle) gives it a +1 bonus with two 1d8+full-Str damage tentacles. That's a better deal I think.

Anything else?

Cleon

Legend
Oh, there was one other thing. I was a little concerned about the Neo-Otyugh's Challenge Rating.

I tried comparing it to SRD creatures but didn't get much help, it's about as tough physically as a Tendriculous, which has nastier special abilities (regeneration 10, paralysis and swallow while = ouch!) but is only CR6, and arguably a slightly more dangerous melee combatant than a Hill Giant (at least in full-attack mode), which is CR7!

So, after cursing the SRD for its inconsistancy I started worrying the Neo-Othyugh was a bit tough for a CR6, and kept on dithering about bumping it up to CR7 only to drop it back down to 6 again.

Does CR6 seem right to you all?

Remove ads