• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I feel a slight twinge of concern.

If its not set in stone (and it shouldn't be) and something significant changes due to feedback, how will this affect all five of the books being published in 2023?

Push back their development? They certainly can't be designed "feedback proof" could they?
Simple enough, they've designed a maximum change, the most they are willing to push the rules. If the feedback is good, they proceed with thst. If not, they roll it back as much as they need to. Either way, current and upcoming books remain compatible.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This is an opportunity to fix that issue, so yeah, they will be cheesed off if WotC actively decides not to fix the issue by simply making some spells "Psionic", especially if this is "Forever D&D" as they imply. If you can delete races that have been in the PHB since the 1980s, add Angel-Furs, and so on, you can put in a Mystic/Psion class, frankly.
There is truth in this statement.

MarkB

Legend
This. I mean I have no interest at all in playing the Ardling but it utterly nails a couple of fantasy characters I've seen newbies want to play. It's not my thing and that's completely fine. It is some other peoples' thing and creates characters that are very hard to play in any other way. So I consider "the pretty anthro celestial furry race" to be a good addition to the game. Not my kink but it is plenty of peoples'.
I mean, it's the only official race that manages to work the phrase "supple bare skin" into its description.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, but don't expect 2014 Classes and subclasses to remain unchanged. Right at the end of the video they make it clear they're going to do UAs that "drill down" into specific subjects, and among the examples are individual classes.

So we could potentially see some very significant reconfigurations of classes, because it's not like the old stuff will be "incompatible". If they rejig Monk, completely, the old Monk and old subclasses will still work with 1D&D, just not with 1D&D's version of the Monk, but that's still backwards-compatible (and it really is - I work with software that does stuff like that).
Oh, yeah, especially after what we saw today I think big changes to the Classes are on the menu. In fact, I predict that overhauling each Class is mostly what the playtest will be: 13 Classes, one a month, through next year? Leaving wiggle room for revision playtests gets us to Crawfords "year, maybe a year and a half" time frame

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Is One D&D introducing a new edition of D&D?

It’s bigger than that. [4] One D&D will usher in the next generation of D&D with new and more comprehensive versions of the core rulebooks that millions of players have enjoyed for the past decade. The rules will be backward compatible with fifth edition adventures and supplements[5, 6] and offer players and Dungeon Masters new options and opportunities for adventure. The evolution of fifth edition has shown us it’s less important to create new editions of the game and more important to grow and expand the game you love with each new product.

What does backward compatible mean?

It means that fifth edition adventures and supplements will work in One D&D.[5,6] For example, if you want to run Curse of Strahd in One D&D, that book will work with the new versions of the core rulebooks. Our goal is for you to keep enjoying the content you already have and make it even better. You’ll see this in action through the playtest materials, which you will be able to provide feedback on.

Thank you for your bringing this into the thread! It does look closer to what @GMforPowergamers thought than what I did.

I feel a slight twinge of concern.

If its not set in stone (and it shouldn't be) and something significant changes due to feedback, how will this affect all five of the books being published in 2023?

Push back their development? They certainly can't be designed "feedback proof" could they?
I assume they've budgeted time frames for the playtesting phase, and the "compile and write the books" phase.

Remove ads