• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fifth Age: A hard science fiction 5e conversion

TheNoremac42

Explorer
So I've been pulling stuff from this module to utilize for my own sci-fi homebrew I'm making that includes most of the vanilla 5e races. I've been consolidating the information, and I noticed none of the classes in the latest version have any saving throws. It says in the change log that this was balanced by adding value to the ability scores. Does this work if my group rolls for our stats using the "roll 3d6 and subtract the lowest" style?

Edit: Also, the "Indivisible" feature for the Civilian class feels redundant. It just restates what "One For All!" says in that you gain another companion at lvl 10. Or am I reading it wrong?

Last edited:

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Saving throws (in fifth age) are few and far between, generally speaking, and most often con or dex. As such if I had spread around saving throws proficiencies, there would be distinct winners and losers. With this in mind, I stripped them from all classes but the Savage (who are proficient in all saves). What imeant by the notes entry is that this adds value to ability scores, in that having a higher ability bonus is the only thing that can help you nail a save.

And yes, civilians with the team player ability get companions at 4th, 7th and 10th level. This ends with a team of the primary character and three companions.

Sent from my MT2L03 using EN World mobile app

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Seems rather good so far, other than the over reliance on feats. Will definitely have to try it out.

Personally, I like feats, as character customization is valuable to me from a design standpoint. That being said, while feats are disabled by default in 5e core, and often enabled, the reverse can be true here. If feats don't jive with your playstyle, just turn them off.

Another thing to keep in mind is that since I am only using 10 levels for this project, having feats there to allow for additional character growth can be useful. I often suggest for people who want to adventure above level 10, they can just pass out bonus feats in lieu of additional levels, either by xp or milestone leveling.

G

Guest 6801328

By about year 2025, something comparable to our laptop will be as intelligent as a human.

I'm going to put a note in my calendar for seven years from today to come re-necro this thread so we can all chuckle.

Unless our laptop overlords outlaw chuckling, of course.

Any system agnostic (or otherwise "easy-ish" to convert) low- to mid-level sci-fi adventures that someone could recommend once we complete Welcome to Indra?

Syntallah

First Post
Any system agnostic (or otherwise "easy-ish" to convert) low- to mid-level sci-fi adventures that someone could recommend once we complete Welcome to Indra?

I've adapted these rules to the Star Wars setting, and we've been playing just over a year now. I have a bunch of old adventures, and some new EotE adventures that are pretty easy to convert.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
I just started another playtest game where IAM testing a variety of things as I edit 0.9. the biggest things on my to do list are testing the Savage changes that makes them a little more different than Soldier, vehicle rules, and some gritty/survival rules. Starships also get amenities, and there are a few more mods and prototypes.

Looking back, my weapon mod system is so crucial, yet, I still fear it is the most arcane and hacky part of the rules. I wonder if there is a way to fix it.

I still struggle the most with layout and graphc design, I get so many people complaining that the game is just ugly, and I try so hard on layout, just to frustrate myself.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads