• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance New Novels Official release date: August 2, 2022

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

99BB34E7-55CE-4CB8-8F23-1FE83DDBD29F.jpeg

WotC should have notices the risk of a "jumping the shark" effect with elements as "the sundering" or the spellplague in 4th. But Dragonlance is a setting too linked with a little group of characters, the heroes of the lance. I can't safe about the metaplot, or a retcon about the chaos war, the age of mortals or the soul war. An option is to add the idea of parallel timelines in the D&D multiverse, but then this shouldn't be only for Krynn, but for all the rest of lines.

And now WotC works for Hasbro, and this can hire a legion of screenwriters for an idea storm about future events.

I think it's quite plausible that WotC is only immediately interested in securing a legally uncontested free hand to do whatever they choose to with the Dragonlance IP in future, preferably without having to deal with the PR mess inherent with having a legal slapfight with Weis and Hickman whose position in the history of the setting is basically somewhere above Paladine. Companies like Hasbro really do not like complications. Giving (I'd speculate) W&H a near-monopoly over new fiction in the setting, and W&H acknowledging that WotC can do what they like with classic DL characters in RPG supplements and that W&H will be nice about it - that's the sort of resolution i think most likely.

WotC already full owns Dragonlance and Weis herself has posted this on Twitter before. She and Hickman don't have any say on what WotC/Hasbro does with it. The new trilogy would not even be coming out if WotC had said no to the original idea.

I'm not so sure.

I think it's quite plausible that WotC is only immediately interested in securing a legally uncontested free hand to do whatever they choose to with the Dragonlance IP in future, preferably without having to deal with the PR mess inherent with having a legal slapfight with Weis and Hickman whose position in the history of the setting is basically somewhere above Paladine. Companies like Hasbro really do not like complications. Giving (I'd speculate) W&H a near-monopoly over new fiction in the setting, and W&H acknowledging that WotC can do what they like with classic DL characters in RPG supplements and that W&H will be nice about it - that's the sort of resolution i think most likely.
WotC owns Dragonlance. Why would they hire Weiss and Hickman and pay them to write a new trilogy if WotC doesn't intend to support it with an RPG supplement released at the same time the books are being published?

JEB

Legend
WotC owns Dragonlance. Why would they hire Weiss and Hickman and pay them to write a new trilogy if WotC doesn't intend to support it with an RPG supplement released at the same time the books are being published?
Apparently it was Weis and Hickman who reached out to Wizards for permission to do the new trilogy, rather than the other way around.

That said, it does seem like an obvious marketing opportunity. Assuming the two versions of the setting aren't radically different.

But W&H could help a lot to promote the brand with their work. Both side should make an effort to have good relations because the fandom would thank it. Maybe they aren't necessary, but to consult their opinion could be advisable.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
WotC should have notices the risk of a "jumping the shark" effect with elements as "the sundering" or the spellplague in 4th. But Dragonlance is a setting too linked with a little group of characters, the heroes of the lance. I can't safe about the metaplot, or a retcon about the chaos war, the age of mortals or the soul war. An option is to add the idea of parallel timelines in the D&D multiverse, but then this shouldn't be only for Krynn, but for all the rest of lines.

And now WotC works for Hasbro, and this can hire a legion of screenwriters for an idea storm about future events.

Tanis had a naughty word death. And a lot (all) of the iconic heroes and villains are dead (like Soth). I could see and enjoy a “parallel timeline” to undo Tanis death.

Problem is I think they would also use it to “modernize” Krynn. IE no Gully dwarves, no thieving Kender, no tinker gnomes no alignment based magic. Which would also IMO make Kynn more generic.

While they are at it they can “fix” Faerun and “parallel” it back to the 2E/3E timeline before screwing it all up (see 4th Ed)

Last edited:

some of the dragonalnce characters are being released in a miniature set soon (Fisban and draconians)

are those new characters on the cover. Is that Tas? Flint? Have they said when the events of the novel take place?

It is Tas, but the other isn't Flint, and this had got a white or gray beard.

The gullys can be easily retconected, they aren't the product of mixed marriages between gnomes and dwarves, but their mixed-blood helped them, saved them, against an epidemic in that region that was worst with the "pureblood", although with some secondry effects. Of course they can count more three, but with their first languange, not speaking common. Time after gnomes and dwarves outcasts arrived to live with them escaping their original home.

Kenders aren't cleptomaniacs, but compulsive gatherer-collectors. They forget those things could be by others. But that manicheism is too annoying. The true cosmic armonium is when we obey the Law Natural. Then the evil is when don't respect that.

Maybe lord Sorth is again in Sithicus as dark lord, but this time the dark domain isn't within in the demiplane of the dread, but in Krynn's shadowfell, because Krynn's deities have got special plans for him.

My suggestion is allowing fandom creating more amateur works, not only art, but also fanfiction. But if the parallel worlds become canon in Dragonlance, then this should be possible in the rest of D&D lines. (I wonder if Athas/Dark Sun is in a special crystal sphere).

Remove ads

Remove ads