• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance New Novels Official release date: August 2, 2022

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

99BB34E7-55CE-4CB8-8F23-1FE83DDBD29F.jpeg

"Go not to the authors for counsel, for they will say both no and yes. Authors seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

Low-key confirming that WotC has something planned...

I watched a video and Margaret said the term Classic was used to distinguish it from whatever WotC has planned

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I watched a video and Margaret said the term Classic was used to distinguish it from whatever WotC has planned
When this book was first announced a month or so back I mentioned to Weiss on Twitter that it sounded like WotC was going to use this to make DL fit into their modern version of the game.

She said no. She and Hickman wrote DL the same way they always have.

I still wouldn't put it passed WotC to use use this to "split the timelines". So they can make a "new Dragonlance" while pretending they didn't kill off the old school version by never having products for it again. See also: Star Wars Legends

This trilogy may very well be the last horrah of the Classic Style Dragonlance before things like alignment specific mages and sticky fingered kender are lost to the timeline split or whatever.

JEB

Legend
I still wouldn't put it passed WotC to use use this to "split the timelines". So they can make a "new Dragonlance" while pretending they didn't kill off the old school version by never having products for it again. See also: Star Wars Legends
Or perhaps like Star Trek's Kelvin Timeline.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I believe that Weis and Hickman are only considering their own two trilogies as canon for this new trilogy.
It strikes me as odd that they wouldn't consider their own subsequent Dragonlance works canon for this new trilogy. They wrote more than just the Chronicles and Legends books.

Seems a safe bet that we'll have a Dragonlance book for 5E coming this year or next.
I'm not so sure.

I think it's quite plausible that WotC is only immediately interested in securing a legally uncontested free hand to do whatever they choose to with the Dragonlance IP in future, preferably without having to deal with the PR mess inherent with having a legal slapfight with Weis and Hickman whose position in the history of the setting is basically somewhere above Paladine. Companies like Hasbro really do not like complications. Giving (I'd speculate) W&H a near-monopoly over new fiction in the setting, and W&H acknowledging that WotC can do what they like with classic DL characters in RPG supplements and that W&H will be nice about it - that's the sort of resolution i think most likely.

Dragonlance is a potential cash-cow for Hasbro. Let's rebember the number of novels published. They should notice also the risk of to undo the previous "canon", like Star Wars and the previous "expanded universe". I wouldn't be surprised with some secret project about a future videogame. Here we could enjoy more freedom to change details, for example Tas as a female character, or Riverwind as a barbarian class instead a ranger.

If WotC has planned something about a future event like a "multiverse crisis" causing the reboot of all the lines, then M&H should be asked about the possible retcons.

GreyLord

Legend
Dragonlance is a potential cash-cow for Hasbro. Let's rebember the number of novels published. They should notice also the risk of to undo the previous "canon", like Star Wars and the previous "expanded universe". I wouldn't be surprised with some secret project about a future videogame. Here we could enjoy more freedom to change details, for example Tas as a female character, or Riverwind as a barbarian class instead a ranger.

If WotC has planned something about a future event like a "multiverse crisis" causing the reboot of all the lines, then M&H should be asked about the possible retcons.

You mean, in a much more pertinent way to the history of D&D, like they changed (not really undid the history, but the very essence of the Realms was changed) the Forgotten Realms in 4e?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads