• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DragonLance in 5e

DM Howard

Explorer
Honestly I would rather have WotC put their resources into something else. I loved reading the Dragonlance Chronicles as well as several other books in the setting but the whole thing as a whole is rather boring in terms of being an Pen and Paper RPG settting (IMO).

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
If they give Dragonlance a treatment similar to the one they are giving the Forgotten Realms, in that they are supporting all eras in the timeline, I would be on board. A Dragonlance 5E is a sure thing that would get me to buy into 5E. Like many others, Dragonlance was my gateway into D&D, it seems a shame for it to be summariliy ignored by WotC.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
:4: I don't think that any of us really wants tons of new Rule books each year, personally I would much rather have a small number of rule books a medium number of supplements (complete elves, the rouge handbook, "what to do with pesky orcs" guide that sort of stuf) and lots of good advantures modules, I like crafting my own world like the next guy but like 99.9% of the western world I don't have the time to do it so quality modules are it.

I think a lot of people would agree with you.

Unfortunately, not enough people would actually part with their cash. Adventures, by definition, are purchased only by DMs: so you've reduced your market to a fifth right there.

Add in the fact that while people might buy every rulebook, they won't buy every adventure. They'll only buy the ones they have time to play; and each could last from a month to three or more months, depending on the schedule. They're not gong to buy simultaneous adventures, either. So one-fifth of your audience will be buying 3-4 adventures per year (if you're lucky - that assumes nobody homebrews and everybody plays published adventures).

It just doesn't work. That might pay for WotC's cleaning staff, but not Monte Cook's and Mike Mearls' salaries, along with the artists, developers, editors, etc. And I doubt they make massive amounts.

Nah, unfortunately the business survives through the sale of player options. And yeah, that sucks - because that's power creep rather than wonder and adventure. But it's how the market works. They produce what we buy, and we don't buy adventures in large quantities.

The beautiful thing is allowing smaller companies to produce those adventures. WotC can't, but a much smaller company can. And a hundred smaller companies can between them produce a vast support network and fantastic materials for the main game which the WotC would never be able to do. That's what the OGL did, and the GSL failed to do. I hope WotC sees this this time round; I have hopes they will because Cook and Mearls have both been treated very well by the OGL.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The thing is though, I think more people than just DMs do buy modules. On paper, they shouldn't, but in reality, they often do. At least if they are cool enough.

You could also do something like have a player's section of the module - background info and such. It would also pad the page count. 32 page modules never seemed to make too much sense for me, they aren't very profitable for the company that makes them, but they aren't a very good deal for the buyer, either.

And of course, the other thing is to make it easier to DM, so more people do that, instead of just playing.

But ultimately, I think the problem D&D is going to have is that yes, it's simply not big enough for Hasbro. It was a sad day when they bought WOTC, IMHO.

Somebody had a proposal that was, basically, publish adventures that included rules supplements.

The example was, say, an "Attack on Assassin Mountain" adventure that included the class, rules, and supporting feats for Assassin characters, while showcasing their use in the adventure.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Most D&D games got plenty of dungeons (one might say too much dungeons :lol:) but of them don't have enough dragons and lets face it, we are talking about Dungeons & Dragons and we need to give dragons some love...

One of the catalysts that led to Dragonlance's creation was a study that TSR paid another company a bunch of money to have done. The summary version of the results is this (paraphrasing):

"Your brand is Dungeons & Dragons. You have a lot of dungeons. You don't have many dragons."

P.S.: yes I know, I can play the original modules, that I can find on ebay... but I do not like 1st and 2nd editions, and I would like something official, and maybe more modern. I would be great to let Tracy Hickman do the work, but I have a lot of faith in Cam Banks, Dragonhelm and the others guys of DLNexus.

We have already talked about doing some Dragonlance conversion work for 5th edition.

I'd like to see Dragonlance done as a "Legacy Adventure Path". I think it'd be a perfect fit for a multi-pronged approach in attempting to appeal to old and new players alike.

The obvious choice would be a reboot of the War of the Lance, but personally I'd like the timeline to be set in one of the Dragon Wars, where there is less canon and fewer novels.

We have had some talks on the Dragonlance forums about what Dragonlance should look like in 5th edition, and I would like to continue that discussion here.

So would you guys rather see Dragonlance return as an adventure path (Chronicles adventures), or as a setting (ala Forgotten Realms)? If the latter, would you rather see it be set during the War of the Lance, post-Legends, during the current era, or as a time jump?

Both of you?

Sorry, but I actually don't think there are that many people who like Dragonlance. Or actually can stand Dragonlance having any influence on the new edition at all.

Yeah, Dragonlance fandom is small. Just ask the 5,525 people who have signed up to the Dragonlance Nexus' newsletter. ;)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
You could also do something like have a player's section of the module - background info and such. It would also pad the page count. 32 page modules never seemed to make too much sense for me, they aren't very profitable for the company that makes them, but they aren't a very good deal for the buyer, either.

I was thinking that if DL came back as an adventure path, maybe the folks at WotC might take a page from Paizo and go the Pathfinder route. Each of their adventures have setting information. Add a short story, and it's gold.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads