Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Cleon

Legend
Yes.

So did you have particular ideas about changing ability scores for the alternate forms?

The Cat Lord has Str 20, Dex 29, Con 18, Int 19, Wis 17; Cha 25 in human form and Str 32, Dex 33, Con 22, Int 19, Wis 17; Cha 25 in hybrid/animal form. i.e. Str +12, Dex +4, Con +4.

That should serve as a model.

Str +10, Dex +6, Con +4 for Dire Hawk/Hybrid?
Dex +12 for Hawk?

Human Form: Str 16, Dex 30, Con 16, Int 19, Wis 19, Cha 25
Dire Hawk/Hybrid: Str 26, Dex 36, Con 20, Int 19, Wis 19, Cha 25
Hawk Form: Str 16, Dex 42, Con 16, Int 19, Wis 19, Cha 25

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmmmph. The hybrid form seems too much better. Maybe Str +4, Dex +6, Con +2? We still get the total +12.

freyar

That seems too much better, also. Why would they ever be in humanoid form? But I suppose we should follow precedent.

freyar

Well, in that case....

Let's proceed with those abilities. Any other SAs or SQs, or ready for skills and feats?

Cleon

Legend
Well, in that case....

Let's proceed with those abilities. Any other SAs or SQs, or ready for skills and feats?

Updating Working Draft.

Would you mind if we give it Improved Evasion like the Cat Lord? With its super-Dex and flying speed it would seem appropriate.

Apart from that suggestion, I'm happy with the Special Abilities except for Alternate Form. The EPIC Cat Lord got Blind-Fight, Multiattack, and Power Attack as bonus feats when in animal or hybrid form, so I'd like to give the Hawk Lord three bonus feats too. How about Multiattack, Mobility, and Improved Flyby Attack?

We also need to sort out its Armor Class. The Cat Lord is AC 60 in animal/hybrid form, AC 58 in human form. We need similar numbers for the Hawk Lord. The Planescape Hawk Lord has AC 4, one worse than the Cat Lord's AC 3, so I would like to end up with AC 59 in Dire Hawk/Hybrid form and AC 56 in human form. The Hawk Form can be a bit better, like AC 63 or so, since it's tiny and evasive.

Finally, can we increase its flying speed and manoeuvrability? As the epitome of Raptorialness, it should be at least as fast as an Eagle (80 ft.) and I'd like it to be more agile in the air.

How about 80 ft. (perfect) for the Hawk, 100 ft. (good) for the Dire Hawk, 80 ft. (average) for the hybrid?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Would you mind if we give it Improved Evasion like the Cat Lord? With its super-Dex and flying speed it would seem appropriate.

I don't mind.

Apart from that suggestion, I'm happy with the Special Abilities except for Alternate Form. The EPIC Cat Lord got Blind-Fight, Multiattack, and Power Attack as bonus feats when in animal or hybrid form, so I'd like to give the Hawk Lord three bonus feats too. How about Multiattack, Mobility, and Improved Flyby Attack?

Those seem good.

We also need to sort out its Armor Class. The Cat Lord is AC 60 in animal/hybrid form, AC 58 in human form. We need similar numbers for the Hawk Lord. The Planescape Hawk Lord has AC 4, one worse than the Cat Lord's AC 3, so I would like to end up with AC 59 in Dire Hawk/Hybrid form and AC 56 in human form. The Hawk Form can be a bit better, like AC 63 or so, since it's tiny and evasive.

Agreed.

Finally, can we increase its flying speed and manoeuvrability? As the epitome of Raptorialness, it should be at least as fast as an Eagle (80 ft.) and I'd like it to be more agile in the air.

How about 80 ft. (perfect) for the Hawk, 100 ft. (good) for the Dire Hawk, 80 ft. (average) for the hybrid?

Once again, looks good.

I'm agreeable today. ;)

Cleon

Legend
I don't mind.

Those seem good.

Agreed.

Once again, looks good.

I'm agreeable today. ;)

Updating Working Draft.

We'll need to work out the AC breakdowns. Unfortunately, the Epic Cat Lord doesn't explain were its AC comes from, although the fact that its touch AC is the same as its base AC suggests none of it's from natural armor.

I suppose we could give it hefty deflection, insight and/or luck bonuses?

Remove ads