• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We could bump the Str and Con for the Great Wyrm, but it doesn't fit so well with the rest of the progression. Alternately, we could put the great wyrm CR at 25.

Let's go with the Silver's LA progression.

Cleon

Legend
We could bump the Str and Con for the Great Wyrm, but it doesn't fit so well with the rest of the progression. Alternately, we could put the great wyrm CR at 25.

There are a fair few dragons with unevenness in their ability progressions, so adding another one doesn't bother me.

I'd prefer giving the Great Wyrm Str 41, Con 29 over lowering its CR.

Let's go with the Silver's LA progression.

That'd be OK by me.

freyar

Yes, and yes.

Based on the original monster, we should have something like
Tactics: Dune dragons are typically content to avoid contact with other creatures, preferring to hide from contact. However, they are implacable foes when irritated (especially if their treasure hoard is disturbed), using their petrifying breath weapon as often as possible. ....

Cleon

Legend
Yes, and yes.

Based on the original monster, we should have something like
Tactics: Dune dragons are typically content to avoid contact with other creatures, preferring to hide from contact. However, they are implacable foes when irritated (especially if their treasure hoard is disturbed), using their petrifying breath weapon as often as possible. ....

Well the first sentence rather repeats itself, and I don't see any indication of them liking to use their breath weapon frequently in the original text. It does say they like to surprise opponents by attacking from underground though.

How about...

Dune dragons are typically content to avoid other creatures, preferring to hide from contact. However, they are implacable foes when irritated, especially if their treasure hoard is disturbed. Dune dragons often try to ambush or outmaneuver their enemies by burrowing under the sand.

freyar

That'll work.

Description: A dune dragon looks out at the world through azure eyes set in a viper-like, diamond-shaped head. They have long sinuous bodies with a forked tail and short, powerful legs well suited for swimming and burrowing. Dune dragons range in color from white to a sandy brown.

I just noticed while reading the original monster that they have a 90% chance to surprise by popping their heads out from under the sand. Your tactics certainly reflect that, but we should add something mechanically. Maybe a (large) racial Hide bonus when buried in sand?

Cleon

Legend
That'll work.

Sorry, I got distracted trying to untangle the different types of D&D Mantis People to try to figure out if we're missing any.

Updating the Dune Dragon Working Draft.

Description: A dune dragon looks out at the world through azure eyes set in a viper-like, diamond-shaped head. They have long sinuous bodies with a forked tail and short, powerful legs well suited for swimming and burrowing. Dune dragons range in color from white to a sandy brown.

I wouldn't mention the name "Dune Dragon" in the actual description - aren't the player's are supposed to figure out what it is!

How about:

A wormlike reptile covered in shell-shaped scales the color of sand, with strikingly blue eyes set in a diamond-shaped head. Its long sinuous body has a forked tail and short, powerful legs well suited for swimming and burrowing. The creature's four feet are strongly clawed and webbed.

I just noticed while reading the original monster that they have a 90% chance to surprise by popping their heads out from under the sand. Your tactics certainly reflect that, but we should add something mechanically. Maybe a (large) racial Hide bonus when buried in sand?

Definitely.

We could give it a Crocodile-style "cover bonus on Hide checks while almost entirely submerged"; except the text says they are "completely camouflaged and undetectable" when hidden.

That implies they have total concealment (and presumably total cover) when buried, which in turn suggests they have a non-standard sense to determine when their prey or opponent is close enough to attack.

They could just use their True Dragon Blindsense, but I'm wondering about giving them Tremorsense with an impressive range as well?

e.g.:

Tremorsense (Ex): A dune dragon has 120 foot tremorsense that works through both land and water.

freyar

I'm not sure there's enough justification for tremorsense over and above blindsense, but I'd give them the croc-Hide bonus. Does that work for you?

Cleon

Legend
I'm not sure there's enough justification for tremorsense over and above blindsense, but I'd give them the croc-Hide bonus. Does that work for you?

Well that's hardly "completely camouflaged and undetectable" because they are buried "beneath the sand".

However, in principle I'm OK with it provided we make the cover bonus higher than the +10 a Crocodile has.

A 1E Croc has a 3 in 6 chance of surprising, which is 50% versus the Dune Dragon's 90%.

Remove ads