Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
Hold on a second, we've still got a "Stuff about druid spells and domains" placeholder under the stat block.

That ought to be simple enough to fix.

How about:

*Can also cast druid spells and those from the Earth and Sun domains as arcane spells. If you use the Sandstorm book a dune dragon can also cast spells from the Sand domain as arcane spells.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Under Spells, we have "Spells (Sp): A dune dragon casts spells as a sorcerer of the indicated level but may choose spells from the Druid spell list as well as the Sorcerer/Wizard list." But I'm ok with adding those domain spells too.

Cleon

Legend
Under Spells, we have "Spells (Sp): A dune dragon casts spells as a sorcerer of the indicated level but may choose spells from the Druid spell list as well as the Sorcerer/Wizard list." But I'm ok with adding those domain spells too.

The standard dragon format includes an asterisked bit after the dragon stats table if they have nonstandard sorcerer spellcasting so we'd better add it in.

The domains seemed appropriate, so we might as well. . .

Updating the Dune Dragon Working Draft.

I removed the Spells (Sp) bit since (a) it's redundant to have both, and (b) 3E dragons tend to only have the * bit.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Amber Brown Dragon Original Stats

Dragon, Gemstone (Amber)
DragonAlignmentSimilar toBreaths
Amber (or brown)ChaoticGoldFire and Melt, Gas and Disease
Gemstone
Dragon
Breath
Weapon
Breath
Shape
Chance of
Talking*
Chance of
Being Asleep
AmberFire and Melt or
Gas and Disease
Cone
Cloud
100%5%
Unless otherwise noted, the gemstone dragons are similar to the standard dragons, including the details of preferred terrain, attacks, size, age, treasure, etc. For XP value, add an asterisk for every two spell levels available to the dragon.

At 120' or greater range, each of the "gemstone" dragons appears identical to that of the corresponding normal color (i.e., crystal to white, onyx to black, jade to green, sapphire to blue, ruby to red, amber to gold). At closer ranges (within 30'), the shimmering color differences can be easily distinguished by the trained eye.

The new breath weapons are summarized for each dragon.

Amber (chlorine gas and disease, fire and melt): See notes for the jade dragon (disease) and ruby dragon (fire and melt).

Here's the Jade and Ruby breath weapons referred to:

Jade (disease): A victim who fails his saving throw takes full damage, and he and all items carried become infected with a rotting disease. This disease causes all nonmetal items to rot away in 1d6 turns unless a cure disease spell is cast on them during that time. A victim cannot be affected by any healing spells, nor healing item, save a cure disease effect. The disease also inflicts 1 point of damage per turn (but not cumulative in the case of multiple failed saving throws). If the saving throw is successful, the victim takes only half damage and avoids the disease.

Ruby (fire and melt): A victim who fails his saving throw takes full damage, and all items carried start to burn or melt (no saving throw). Paper items are destroyed instantly; leather items in 1 round; all other nonmetal items in 2 rounds; nonmagical metal items in 3 rounds; and magical items of all sorts in 4 or more rounds. If the item has a bonus ("pluses"), add 1 round to the 4-round period for each point. Items that give immunity or resistance to fire also melt, but in double the normal time. The burning or melting items may be saved if immersed in water (or otherwise cooled, such as magically) before they are destroyed. The DM may choose to deduct 1 or more "pluses" from partially damaged items. If the saving throw is successful, the victim takes only half damage.

Originally from Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia (1991).

The statblocks for these dragons are identical to the BECMI versions of the Gold Dragon - here's the AC10 - Bestiary of Dragons and Giants version of them:

Gold & BrownSmallLargeHuge
Armor Class:
Hit Dice:
Move:
Flying:
Attacks:
11**
90′(30′)
240′(80′)
16 + 3***
120′(40′)
300′(100′)
Up to 6
22****
150′(50′)
360′(120′)
Up to 6
Breath Size: as Green or Red Dragons
Damage:
# Appearing:
Save As:
Morale:
Treasure Type:
Alignment:
XP Value:
XP with spells:
2-8/2-8/6-36
1-4(1-4)
Fighter: 10
H
L.(& C.)
n/a
(see chart)
1-3(1-3)
Fighter: 30
H×2, I
L.(& C.)
n/a
(see chart)
1-2(1-2)
Fighter: 36
H×3, 1×2
L.(& C.)
n/a
DAMAGES:
Types & Sizes of Dragons
Bite or
Crush
Claws
Kicks, Wings,
and Tail
Breath
Gold & BrownSmall
Large
Huge
6d6
6d6 + 4
6d6 + 8
2d4 each
4d3 each
4d4 each
Up to 88 hp
Up to 131 hp
Up to 175 hp

The BECMI Amber Dragon first appeared in the D&D Master Set (1985) as the "Dragon, Brown", which is essentially the same as the Rules Cyclopedia version.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, we've done the jade's disease and then gone back and discussed whether we liked it, right? And I feel like we've done something like the ruby's before, too, though maybe I'm just thinking of an ability like the fire elemental's burn.

Anyway, base the ability and other progressions on the gold dragon?

Remove ads