Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, I still don't like ventriloquism, and I guess you don't like identify. What about alarm, true strike, faerie fire or maybe color spray if you want an Illusion?

Basically, I think it should have at least one SLA in common with a blue dragon, and ventriloquism seems the most appropriate as it's lowest level and so presumably the most basic inborn ability.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, fair enough, but it doesn't really feel thematic to me. I guess as the "opposite" of the blue dragon, it doesn't seem to me to need any overlapping SLAs, especially if it keeps create/destroy water and sound imitation. But it's also not a big deal. Let's just go with ventriloquism and move on. What about those other two abilities? Do you want to keep them?

Cleon

Legend
OK, fair enough, but it doesn't really feel thematic to me. I guess as the "opposite" of the blue dragon, it doesn't seem to me to need any overlapping SLAs, especially if it keeps create/destroy water and sound imitation. But it's also not a big deal. Let's just go with ventriloquism and move on.

Updating the Azure Dragon Working Draft.

What about those other two abilities? Do you want to keep them?

Oh, might as well keep them.

freyar

Looks good. Are you ready for tactics and flavor?

It just struck me as odd that true dragons don't get a feat progression....

freyar

Tactics: Like blue dragons, azure dragons usually either ambush from under the sand or attack from flight, and they use the sapphire curse from their breath weapon to deal with their foes a few at a time. Older azure dragons use their spell like abilities to divine their opponents' abilities, often long in advance of combat.

How's that for a start?

Cleon

Legend
Tactics: Like blue dragons, azure dragons usually either ambush from under the sand or attack from flight, and they use the sapphire curse from their breath weapon to deal with their foes a few at a time. Older azure dragons use their spell like abilities to divine their opponents' abilities, often long in advance of combat.

How's that for a start?

Conceptually it's fine but could do with a bit of a polish.

How's this:

Like blue dragons, azure dragons attack by burrowing under the sand to set an ambush or by attacking while in flight. Older azure dragons use their spell-like abilities, particularly scrying and analyze dweomer to divine their opponents' weaknesses, often long in advance of combat.

Do we want to add anything about retreating, some inverse of "Blue dragons run from a fight only if they are severely damaged, since they view retreat as cowardly"?

Maybe:

Azure dragons are wise enough to withdraw from a battle they are losing, but if they're defending a good enough cause they may continue to fight even when badly wounded.

I think that about covers it.

freyar

Yes, I like that. You just need a comma after analyze dweomer.

Do you have any ideas on description and flavor?

Remove ads