Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
I don't really mind one way or the other about invisibility.

I think I'd change the working "did enough damage to destroy the creature..." to "did enough damage to kill or destroy the creature... ," but I generally like it! Should there be a caster level check to neutralize the curse?

Come to think of it, couldn't the BECMI version be removed by dispel magic?

In that case we should definitely add that spell and probably break enchantment to the "effects that can de-vaporize" roster.

A caster level check does seem appropriate. Should we add a higher-level "cure" that can do the job without the CL check?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't know about BECMI, but I'd add dispel magic and break enchantment, along with the CL check (for those and remove curse, etc). Something higher level without a CL curse is ok --- maybe even polymorph any object.

Cleon

Legend
I don't know about BECMI, but I'd add dispel magic and break enchantment, along with the CL check (for those and remove curse, etc). Something higher level without a CL curse is ok --- maybe even polymorph any object.

Yeah, I was thinking polymorph any object and possibly limited wish.

freyar

That sounds reasonable to me. Let's do that. How should we set the DC for the CL check? Something like DC 12+age category?

Cleon

Legend
That sounds reasonable to me. Let's do that. How should we set the DC for the CL check? Something like DC 12+age category?

That seems a little low. I was thinking of something around the same number as its Spell Resistance...

Actually, why not just use its SR, or the standard fallback of DC 15 if it doesn't have spell resistance yet?

Cleon

Legend
Sure, that'll work!

Okay, modifying the draft in post #1089:

Breath Weapon (Su): An azure dragon has two breath weapons: a line of lightning or a line of vaporizing energy that does untyped damage. Any creature or object within the area of effect can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage. If a creature struck by the first (vaporizing) breath weapon fails this save they must also attempt a Fortitude save or contract a supernatural curse carried by the breath weapon, as follows.

Sapphire Curse: Objects and creatures affected by this curse turn into vapor as if they were affected by the gaseous form spell. This vaporous condition lasts for 1 minute [?] per age category of the dragon. Normally, the vaporous creature or object returns to solid form at the end of this duration, but if the vaporizing breath weapon did enough damage to destroy the creature or object it will dissipate into gas and a few puffs of dust when the duration expires. The traces of dust are enough to restore a dissipated victim with a resurrection spell.

The sapphire curse can be neutralized by a dispel magic, remove curse, or break enchantment effect that succeeds at a caster level check against a DC equal to the dragon's spell resistance (minimum DC 15). A vaporized victim can also be restored by any effect that can transform a gaseous object into a solid one, such as the polymorph any object spell or a vampire's gaseous form ability.

freyar

OK, that seems good. Though should we perhaps rename the "sapphire curse" to "azure curse"?

Next up, Sp and other SAs? I believe we kept all the unique SAs/SQs of the gold in the Mystaran amber dragon, so we should keep both Sound Imitation and Create/Destroy Water here. But we can mess around with the normal Sp abilities. Sound good to you?

Cleon

Legend
OK, that seems good. Though should we perhaps rename the "sapphire curse" to "azure curse"?

I'd rather keep it "Sapphire Curse" as a homage to the dragon's original name.

Next up, Sp and other SAs? I believe we kept all the unique SAs/SQs of the gold in the Mystaran amber dragon, so we should keep both Sound Imitation and Create/Destroy Water here. But we can mess around with the normal Sp abilities. Sound good to you?

Sure.

It was what I was thinking of doing anyway... :p

freyar

OK, SLAs really should go with a theme, which we don't have in the original monster. The blue is really an illusionist as far as SLAs go, so do we want to stick with that and use a different suite of illusions, or do we want to go "opposite" and choose something like abjuration?

Remove ads