Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, that is a usual feature of tomb-tainted, and I think rebuking/commanding is a reasonable extrapolation from the original text. I could see adding some amount of turning resistance, though.

Maybe they're only vulnerable to Rebuking, and have such a high turn resistance only Mighty Negative Channelers can influence them?

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather allow them to be turned or rebuked but give them quite high turning resistance.

Hmm, I'm starting to think we should just drop the turning/rebuking bit entirely and just have them healed/harmed by inflict/cure spells.

There's nothing in the original writeup about them being affected by clerical turning, so maybe that powerful undead has just developed a special spell to influence them?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I tend to agree. Maybe give them "Negative-energy Affinity" rather than "Tomb-tainted." That's an ability already, isn't it?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I tend to agree. Maybe give them "Negative-energy Affinity" rather than "Tomb-tainted." That's an ability already, isn't it?

Yup.

The only official example I could recall offhand is Orcus from Dungeon #149, but that's good enough for us:

Orcus said:
Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) Orcus is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy as if he were an undead creature.

Shall I add that to the Porton Working Draft?

freyar

Go on ahead.

Shall we deal with abilities next? They have Int -, and I'd go with the usual Str - for incorporeal critters. They seem to like to stay still but can move quickly if given cause; that doesn't really say too much about Dex, so I guess I'm inclined to go with something not far from average. I guess I'd go with somewhat better Con and Cha (16-20 range) and average Wis, but that's just based on gut feelings.

Cleon

Legend
Go on ahead.

Updating the Porton Working Draft.

Shall we deal with abilities next? They have Int -, and I'd go with the usual Str - for incorporeal critters. They seem to like to stay still but can move quickly if given cause; that doesn't really say too much about Dex, so I guess I'm inclined to go with something not far from average. I guess I'd go with somewhat better Con and Cha (16-20 range) and average Wis, but that's just based on gut feelings.

A fly speed of 12 is hardly "quickly" in AD&D. Most flying monsters can go faster than that.

The "Armor Class: N/A" isn't much help for guessing a Dex either. I'm thinking we should give them an averagish Dex for an incorporeal creature - maybe 15 or so? - which means they won't have that great an AC once their -8 size penalty is applied.

How about we give 'em the Con 18 and Wis 11 of an Elder Fire Elemental and the Cha 24 of a Dread Wraith?

freyar

OK, something like Str -, Dex 15, Con 18, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 24? I have to say it feels weird giving mindless critters such a good Cha. Looking back, I guess they don't need a particularly high Cha, so what about going with the more normal Cha 10?

Str -, Dex 15, Con 18, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 10 ?

Cleon

Legend
OK, something like Str -, Dex 15, Con 18, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 24? I have to say it feels weird giving mindless critters such a good Cha. Looking back, I guess they don't need a particularly high Cha, so what about going with the more normal Cha 10?

Str -, Dex 15, Con 18, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 10 ?

For some reason I thought we were giving 'em Unholy Toughness to boost their hit points, which would have required a high Charisma.

Hmm, I guess those stats are OK. I'll update the Porton Working Draft.

I'd better add a SR placeholder to it while I'm at it.

freyar

They're hp should be ok as elementals with that Con. And 24HD!

You should change "tomb tainted" in the SQ line to "negative energy affinity."

Want to work out those ranged attacks? The original text makes them sound like line area attacks, so should we allow a save for half (maybe Fort)?

Remove ads