Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Do you know of any unconverted Spelljammer critters? If not, then take your pick.

I'm not really up on my Spelljammer stuff. So many D&D books, so little time to read them.

The only critter I came across that was uncoverted was the mega-monster form of the Silver Slime, but we've done that already.

We could check through the unconverted Spelljammer creatures list and see if there's anything there that tickles our fancy.

The list is a bit out of date, but many of them don't seem to have been done yet.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I don't have the original sources for any of those, so I'm just picking blindly. But I don't believe the isopterites have been done. How about those?

Cleon

Legend
Well, I don't have the original sources for any of those, so I'm just picking blindly. But I don't believe the isopterites have been done. How about those?

Dang it, you're going to make me try to find we're I've buried that dang book, aren't you.

It might take some while for me to look them up. I don't really know anything about them, but have a vague suspicion they're some kind of bug people.

Cleon

Legend
Dang it, you're going to make me try to find we're I've buried that dang book, aren't you.

It might take some while for me to look them up. I don't really know anything about them, but have a vague suspicion they're some kind of bug people.

Okay, I've checked Crystal Spheres and Isopterites are bipedal, four-armed insectoids of unusual size - the warriors are 12 feet tall and the queen is 20 feet - with the stereotypical hive society so many D&D insect creatures have.

They're not really "bug people" though, since they're only semi-intelligent and don't use equipment like weapons or armour.

EDIT: Correction, they are described as "semi-intelligent, bipedal termites", but their actual stat blocks list Isopterites as having Intelligence: Low, the next grade up in the AD&D smarts scale. ENDEDIT

There's mention of other castes apart from warriors and queens, but no stats for them. The warriors have a couple of useful special abilities - parrying an attack or squirting blinding acid - as well as decent attacks (two serrated blade-like appendages for 1d8/1d8), but only have 2 Hit Dice, which seems surprisingly low for something 12 feet tall.

Does that tickle you fancy enough for me to bother transcribing their stats so we can convert them?

Last edited:

freyar

In the absence of any other compelling choice, sure! I mean, we have to have a termite counterpart to the formians and abeils!

Cleon

Legend
In the absence of any other compelling choice, sure! I mean, we have to have a termite counterpart to the formians and abeils!

Okay, I took the precaution of transcribing their stats since I suspected we'd do them sooner or later.

Here they are...

Cleon

Legend
Isopterite Original Stats

Isopterite

WarriorQueen
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: UndergroundUnderground
FREQUENCY: Very rareUnique
ORGANIZATION: HiveSolitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: AnyAny
DIET: OmnivoreOmnivore
INTELLIGENCE: LowLow
TREASURE: NoneNone
ALIGNMENT: NeutralNeutral
NO. APPEARING: 50-2001
ARMOR CLASS: 58
MOVEMENT: 153
HIT DICE: 28
THAC0: 1913
NO. OF ATTACKS: 21
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-8/1-81-12
SPECIAL ATTACKS: AcidNil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Hive mentality, parryNil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: NilNil
SIZE: L (12′ + tall)H (20′)
MORALE: SpecialSpecial
XP VALUE:120975
The Isopterites are semi-intelligent, bipedal termites that live beneath the ground or in trees in giant hives.

The typical isopterite appears to be a large insect with a great bulbous head and six appendages (two of which are legs). The do not wear clothing or armor, nor do they carry any weapons. Their tough hide and strong, chitinous arms are all the arms and armor these powerful creatures need.

Combat: The isopterites are very quick and agile. The creatures are part of a hive mentality which aids them in coordinating their attacks against intruders in their lair. The isopterites that arrive at the scene of intrusion and begin combating the enemies are constantly sending a limited telepathic report to other members of the hive. In this manner, additional reinforcements can be most effectively deployed. This has the effect of overwhelming the enemy, inflicting attacks from vulnerable rear and flank areas.

The isopterites are also very quick in hand-to-hand combat. They attack twice each melee round with rapid strikes from their bone-hard appendages, inflicting 1-8 points of damage per attack. They can also parry one frontal attack each melee round without sacrificing their normal attacks. The parry gives the attacker –3 on his attack roll.

Once per turn, a warrior isopterite can squirt a highly acidic, chemical deterrent at its enemy. This is done in place of the hand-to-hand strikes. The insect can squirt the acid with deadly accuracy, gaining +1 on its attack die. The acid inflicts 2d12 points of damage on a successful hit. There is a 25% chance that the acid will be aimed at the eyes of the target (unless he is wearing protection over the eyes). In this case, the eyes will become highly irritated and blindness will ensue. The blindness last for 1d6 turns if flushed with water (2d6 turns if not treated).

lsopterites will generally fight only in defense of their lair, but they will fight tenaciously and with regard for their own lives. Thus, the creatures never make morale checks when defending the lair.

If the queen is killed, however, the insects go into confusion. They begin to wander around aimlessly, fighting only if attacked, but attempting to flee even then. The queen is capable of combat, but only in her own personal defense. She is so large and nearly immobile that often when she begins her egg laying cycle, she will not move for the duration of her life. But if she is attacked, she is capable of dealing a powerful strike with one of her arms, inflicting 1-12 points of damage.

Habitat/Society: The isopterites are hive-oriented creatures. Their hives are usually dug deep under the ground. They live in large colonies and are divided into “castes,” each representing individuals with specific duties to perform. There are warriors to defend the colony (they are identical to the standard isopterite, but have the ability to squirt acid); workers to construct the nest and perform domestic tasks; and kings to fertilize the queen.

lsopterites live partly underground and partly in huge nests (called termitaries) which they build on the surface. These vary greatly in size and shape, and the exteriors solidify as hard as rock. The termitaries are often hundreds of feet tall! Inside are innumerable galleries, nurseries, fungus gardens, a royal apartment, and other chambers.

Ecology: The isopterites' chitinous, hard appendages are suited for combat, though they are not a war-like species. The creatures are wingless. They feed on fungi and decaying organic matter, some of which is generated within the colony.

Reproduction is the occupation of the kings and queens. After fertilization, the queen's abdomen swells until it becomes an enormous bladder. She becomes merely an egg producing machine, and will lay an egg every few minutes for several years. At any one time, her abdomen may contain up to 4,800 eggs in various stages of development, and they are carried off to the nurseries by queues of workers as quickly as they are laid. Since the queen in nearly immobile, she is groomed and fed by special worker attendants.

Originally appeared in SJA3 - Crystal Spheres (1990).

Cleon

Legend
Isopterite Additional Information

The sub-adventure in SJA3 where the adventurers enter an Isopterite nest has a bunch of additional information.

In case you're wondering how a hive of 12-foot insect can fit inside a tree. The tree they live in spans an entire solar system.

This passage tells us isopterites have the Hive Mind trait:
Because the isopterites operate under a hive intelligence, once the group is detected, their presence will be known by all of the creatures. Due to the relatively small numbers of active creatures and their instinctive drive to perform duties of tending to the queen and her eggs, the number of attacks on the PCs will be relatively low.

Isopterites can hibernate.
Chamber: Containing mostly hibernating isopterites of the warrior and worker variety, these rooms are the most plentiful in the lair. If the PCs go through these chambers quietly, (as determined by the DM) they will not wake the hibernating termites. But if the PCs engage in battle, it is 25% likely that an additional 2d10 warrior isopterites will wake and attack the group

Worker isopterites will flee intruders and alert warriors rather than fight.

The queen in the adventure is ENORMOUS - 150 feet long! - and "totally helpless", unlike the queen in the Monstrous Compendium entry who's able to move and defend herself.

Isopterite burrows are reinforced with a sticky resin that is harmful to non-isopterites:
When they are finished digging in a certain area, they line the walls with stomach acid and wood shavings to give the structure strength.

Unfortunately, this has an undesired effect on non-isopterites. When the PCs first enter or approach the opening in the tree trunk, they will immediately detect a strong, pungent odor like ammonia. This has the obvious effect of causing distraction and irritation. UnfortunateIy, the mixture causes greater damage still to anyone who remains exposed to it for any length of time. After 30 minutes of exposure to the fumes in the lair, the PCs will begin coughing and choking. This will increase the chance of being attacked by wandering isopterites (see below).

After being in the lair for one hour, the group will begin to experience chest pains and watery eyes. As a result, the PCs’ armor classes are reduced by 1 and attack rolls are made at –2. The DM should make it clear to the PCs that the effects of the amtosphere are becoming increasingly worse. After an additional 30 minutes (a total of 90 minutes), the PCs’ armor classes are reduced by 2 and attack rolls are made at –4.

At this point, PCs must make a saving throw vs. breath weapon every fifteen minutes or fall unconscious. An unconscious PC will lose two hit points per turn until he is carried to fresh air or a cure poison or similar spell is administered. Healing spells and cure disease will have no effect on a PC who has succumbed to the amtosphere.

A PC who is carried to fresh air will regain consciousness after 2d2 turns. Lost hit points may be regained normally. PCs who remain in the fresh air 30 minutes or longer will regain all losses to armor class and “to hit” rolls, but these will drop as detailed above when the PCs re-enter the tunnels. PCs who are reduced to zero hit points die.

This gas also causes nonmagical flames to burn twice as brightly but for half as long. This does not affect fire damage, but means light sources burn out quickly. The resin itself is not flammable.

This resin is stored in chambers that are very hazardous for non-isopterites:
Storage: This room is used to store concentrated quantities of the sticky, adhesive substance that lines the walls of the lair. Any character who falls in this substance will sink to the bottom like a rock. He will take 2-20 points of damage per round. Any character who breathes the fumes from this room must save vs. breath weapon or become unconscious

Clumps of a slightly sticky, brown, stringy material hang from the ceiling every 20 feet of an isopterite nest. These help them navigate their tunnels and is thick enough to blocks line of sight.

Isopterite food stores contain "a bland paste that is not nutritious to humans. It is consumed primarily by newly hatched young".

I think that's all the information I can extract from the adventure, so we might as well get started.

freyar

That's a big old tree. Spelljammer sure was weird. Reminds me of something from Beyond Countless Doorways, too --- I think that book had more Spelljammer influence in it than the authors let on.

Anyway, I'd probably relate the burrow "lining" irritant with the acid they can spit out.

Hive Mind is a given. And so is a Parry ability --- I know we've done this in the CC. Some NA, though maybe not a whole lot depending on the Dex we give them.

Cleon

Legend
That's a big old tree. Spelljammer sure was weird. Reminds me of something from Beyond Countless Doorways, too --- I think that book had more Spelljammer influence in it than the authors let on.

Anyway, I'd probably relate the burrow "lining" irritant with the acid they can spit out.

I'm thinking we might leave the "poison gas" bit to a "Isopterite Nests" subentry rather than include it in the creature's combat block.

Hive Mind is a given. And so is a Parry ability --- I know we've done this in the CC.

Yes, we've done Parry before. It may take a little while to dig out a version we actually used. Most of the ones I can think of were in Cleon Specials™.

Some NA, though maybe not a whole lot depending on the Dex we give them.

So, are we basing these on any particular creature or do you think it'd be better to build them from whole cloth?

Checking Echohawk's index there are 3E Giant Termites in Sandstorm, but I don't remember anything about them. I'll have to pull out the book and to check their stats.

Remove ads