• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, I always think of the wings as being more like a slam attack (so bludgeoning). Then the damage doesn't really require any sharpness and is more due to the boobrie's strength. Think of it like a reverse ostrich (puny wings, strong legs and claws).

Imp Grab with the bite would work.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, I always think of the wings as being more like a slam attack (so bludgeoning). Then the damage doesn't really require any sharpness and is more due to the boobrie's strength. Think of it like a reverse ostrich (puny wings, strong legs and claws).

Imp Grab with the bite would work.

What about a Pin with the beak, or maybe "Impaling" on a critical?

freyar

How would you want the "impale" to work? Give it an increased crit damage multiplier and maybe auto-grapple or something?

Cleon

Legend
How would you want the "impale" to work? Give it an increased crit damage multiplier and maybe auto-grapple or something?

Yes, something like that. Probably with the opponent taking damage if they make a grapple check to try to escape the impalement.

Basically, I just think they need a Special Attack of some kind. A plain "Improved Grab" would do in a pinch.

Hmm, the description says their "Great" Boobrie has a beak like a heron with the hooked tip of an eagle, plus small sharp teeth. The hooked tip would be an obstruction to impaling prey. Sounds more like it's designed for grabbing & ripping flesh.

freyar

Well, we could just give it either the improved threat range or the bigger multiplier. Or Imp Grab. Your choice.

Cleon

Legend
Well, we could just give it either the improved threat range or the bigger multiplier. Or Imp Grab. Your choice.

Oof! Decisions Decisions.

Of those three options I like the Grab the best.

Water birds have a knack at keeping hold of slippery prey, to prevent their next meal escaping them.

Remove ads