Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, I must have transposed the wing buffet onto the great boobrie as well.

I think we need to maintain some distinction between the two versions, though. So if we add a wing buffet to the great boobrie, I don't think it should have the knock-down ability. And they should be relatively weak.

I'm OK giving the "Great" Boobrie claws and no wing buffet and vica-versa for the Black Boobrie.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The 3.0 version of the swan in the CC blinds victims of its wing attack, but that doesn't sound right. But you're right, we did have something similar with some kind of bird-like creature. A diving trip attack, maybe.

Cleon

Legend
The 3.0 version of the swan in the CC blinds victims of its wing attack, but that doesn't sound right. But you're right, we did have something similar with some kind of bird-like creature. A diving trip attack, maybe.

We could simply give them the standard Trip (Ex) attack with their wings, like a SRD Wolf has with its bite.

Cleon

Legend
That's a nice elegant solution.

Any other SAs or SQs you want?

Let me update the Boobrie Working Draft first.

We are calling the Black Boobrie's special attack "Trip" rather than "Wing-Buffet", right? Consistency does favour "Trip".

I'm tempted to make the wing-buffet do nonlethal damage like a sap, since it's just slapping its opponent with feathers.

Cleon

Legend
Any other SAs or SQs you want?

Well the "Great Boobrie" seems sorely lacking a special attack. Large heron-type birds sometimes impale prey on their beaks, and ground-hunting birds sometimes crush their prey into the dirt.

Shall we give them some kind of "Skewer" or "Pin" ability?

Here's another question: the HR3 'Black' Boobrie has a Swim speed, so should we give the MMII 'Great' Boobrie a Swim speed too?

That'd let it stalk its prey underwater, like a Snakebird (by which I mean the geunus Anhinga, not some bizarre hybrid of hawk and cobra).

Hmm, although a "Cobrahawk" has possibilities... :devil:

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, although a "Cobrahawk" has possibilities... :devil:

Just for my own amusement, I combined an Advanced Bloodhawk with a Medium Viper Snake to get the following. It doesn't have any "fluff" or tactics, but those'd be easy enough to whip up.

Cobrahawk
Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., fly 50 ft. (poor), swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+1) or claw +5 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+1) or 2 claws +3 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison, wounding
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., dire beast, ferocity, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +7, Climb +11, Hide +7, Listen +4, Spot +7, Swim +9
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or murder (3–12)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3–6 HD (Medium-size)

Background.

COMBAT
Tactics.

Dire Beast (Ex): A cobrahawk has all good saves.

Ferocity (Ex): A cobrahawk is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Poison (Ex): A cobrahawk has a poisonous bite that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d6 Con The DC 12 Fort save is Constitution-based.

Wounding (Ex): A wound resulting from a cobrahawk’s claw attack bleeds for an additional 1 point of damage per round thereafter. Multiple wounds from such attacks result in cumulative bleeding loss (two wounds for 2 points of damage per round, and so on). The bleeding can be stopped only by a Heal check (DC 15) or the application of any cure spell or other healing spell (heal, healing circle, or the like).

Skills: Cobrahawks have a +2 racial bonus on Hide and Listen checks, a +4 racial bonus on Balance and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. Cobrahawks use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher. A cobrahawk has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Climb or Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's add a swim speed for the great boobrie. I'd support a "pin" or Improved Grab for the great boobrie (on the claws), too.

Yes, I agree that the extra effect of the black boobrie's wing buffet should be "trip." I do have to say that I think the intent of the wing buffets is to be lethal damage, though. If you want to be really consistent with attack names, we could just call them "wings" like true dragons.

Cleon

Legend
Let's add a swim speed for the great boobrie. I'd support a "pin" or Improved Grab for the great boobrie (on the claws), too.

How fast a Swim?

I'm thinking we should give the Pin / Grab work to the beak, not the claws, since they're described as being weak.

Yes, I agree that the extra effect of the black boobrie's wing buffet should be "trip." I do have to say that I think the intent of the wing buffets is to be lethal damage, though. If you want to be really consistent with attack names, we could just call them "wings" like true dragons.

Yes, the original was definitely regular damage, it just didn't seem right to make it lethal. There's no mention of claws or sharp edges on its wings, they're just feathers.

Remove ads