Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Cleon

Legend
I was just looking through Echohawk's index to check the Skyfisher and I noticed another animal:

Polyhedron #48 Attack Skunk

An Attack Skunk! :eek: We must remember to convert that! :lol:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It does seem like the falcon probably isn't worth a conversion. No need for a "large hawk."

I don't see a conversion in the index for the attack skunk. If someone has the stats for that, why not do it now? :D

Cleon

Legend
It does seem like the falcon probably isn't worth a conversion. No need for a "large hawk."

I don't see a conversion in the index for the attack skunk. If someone has the stats for that, why not do it now? :D

I don't think I have that issue, and if I do it wouldn't be handy.

Where's Echohawk when we need him!?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Where's Echohawk when we need him!?

[MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION] summoning spell!

Thanks for that spell. I was stuck in an extradimensional space for a few days, with no way to access ENWorld, and that summoning spell was just the thing I needed to find a way out!

The attack skunk from Polyhedron 48 was reprinted again in the Encyclopedia Magica, Volume IV (p1503). It comes from an article title Wand of Wondrousness which expands the effects of the wand of wonder. An "attack" creature is just an ordinary creature which attacks because the wand effect summons it to attack. As well as the attack skunk, there is also an attack doggie, an attack kitty, an attack rat, an attack chicken, an attack viper, an attack grizzy cub, attack butterflies (!), an attack shark, an attack pugilist (!!), an attack giant ant, an attack tyrannosaurus rex (just a baby), an attack rabbit, an attack octopus, and three different varieties of attack lowlives.

Just in case that list doesn't dissuade you from tackling the attack skunk, its stats are: HD 1; hp 1; AC 6; #AT 1; Dmg nil; THAC0 19; SA stinking cloud on one creature, flees after delivering cloud.

Cleon

Legend
Thanks for that spell. I was stuck in an extradimensional space for a few days, with no way to access ENWorld, and that summoning spell was just the thing I needed to find a way out!

The attack skunk from Polyhedron 48 was reprinted again in the Encyclopedia Magica, Volume IV (p1503). It comes from an article title Wand of Wondrousness which expands the effects of the wand of wonder. An "attack" creature is just an ordinary creature which attacks because the wand effect summons it to attack. As well as the attack skunk, there is also an attack doggie, an attack kitty, an attack rat, an attack chicken, an attack viper, an attack grizzy cub, attack butterflies (!), an attack shark, an attack pugilist (!!), an attack giant ant, an attack tyrannosaurus rex (just a baby), an attack rabbit, an attack octopus, and three different varieties of attack lowlives.

Just in case that list doesn't dissuade you from tackling the attack skunk, its stats are: HD 1; hp 1; AC 6; [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=AT]#AT [/URL] 1; Dmg nil; THAC0 19; SA stinking cloud on one creature, flees after delivering cloud.

So it's pretty much just a standard skunk? That's pretty dull.

Surely we an get a better monster out of the concept of "Attack Skunk" than that.

Oh well, it can wait until after the birdies, anyway.

Shall we go through them alphabetically? That would put the Boobrie next.

Cleon

Legend
Shall we go through them alphabetically? That would put the Boobrie next.

Okay, I've checked the Boobrie's stats and there are two versions of this avian.

The oldest version is a 1E AD&D monster from Monster Manual II (Gary Gygax, 1983). It stands 12 feet tall and is a known maneater. The Boobrie in the MC11 Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1991) and the Monstrous Manual (1993) is the same as this monster.

There's also a Boobrie in HR3 Celts Campaign Sourcebook (1992) that's only 6 feet tall and rarely eats people. But that's only because Boobries hunt creatures smaller than themselves. The "Celtic Boobrie" will eat Small-sized human children.

Apart from one being Large and the other Medium-sized, the two are pretty similar. The original one has 9 HD and a 2d8 damage beak, its half-sized version 4+4 HD and a 2d4 damage beak, so they're pretty close to a standard 3E size progression.

Shall I post their stats?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Might as well. It sounds to me like we should just start Medium and advance to Large, but I suppose we could do a juvenile/adult or something if you really like.

Cleon

Legend
Might as well. It sounds to me like we should just start Medium and advance to Large, but I suppose we could do a juvenile/adult or something if you really like.

They've got different special attacks, live in different habitats, and have a few other salient differences.

They're enough to be separate monsters, methinks.

Anyhow, it'd be easier if I post the stats.

Remove ads