Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Cleon

Legend
So, what I'm proposing is:

[Wild Cat Statblock]

This entry describes a large male wildcat (Felis silvestris), a bobcat, or another feline of similar size. Smaller wild cats such as the margay use the stats of the lesser wild cat (see below) or the Cat entry in the Monster Manual. Wild cats are adaptable animals that can be found in many terrains, but are commonest in forests. A wild cat family consists of a mother and her cubs.

A wild cat is 2 to 4 feet long and can weigh up to 60 pounds, although 20 pounds is a more typically weight.

[Wild Cat Combat Entry]

Lesser Wild Cat
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: ½d8+1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d2-3)
Full Attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d2-3) and bite +0 melee (1d3-3)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, pounce
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +12, Hide +16*, Jump +7, Listen +5, Move Silently +7, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Any forests, hills, or plains
Organization: Solitary or family (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Lesser wild cats include the margay, smaller specimens of wildcat and jungle cat, and similarly-sized wild felines. It can also represent an exceptionally large and ferocious domestic cat (feral or otherwise).

A lesser wild cat is between 1½ and 2 feet long and weighs between 8 and 15 pounds.

COMBAT

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a lesser wild cat must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold.

Pounce (Ex): If a lesser wild cat charges a foe, it can make a full attack.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This is getting to be way too much. I really don't think the "lesser wild cat" is worth the distinction from a normal "cat" in the SRD. The difference could really be handled by giving a cat the elite array. I guess, from a simulationist point of view, domestic and wild cats interbreed all the time, so they shouldn't have such wildly different stats.

Dex 17 on the Small version is all I'm asking for here, really. Think of it this way if you need to: The original wild cat just has THAC0 19, so a +4 attack bonus is really as much as we should give the 3.5 version.

Cleon

Legend
Dex 17 on the Small version is all I'm asking for here, really. Think of it this way if you need to: The original wild cat just has THAC0 19, so a +4 attack bonus is really as much as we should give the 3.5 version.

Oh very well, I'll accept Dex 17 and NA +1 for the Small version, but would like to keep the Tiny version in the entry.

Is that OK?

freyar

That'll work for me.

The real problem is that the domestic SRD cat and the SRD big cats are out of touch with each other, but I think this bridges both as well as possible.

Cleon

Legend
That'll work for me.

The real problem is that the domestic SRD cat and the SRD big cats are out of touch with each other, but I think this bridges both as well as possible.

Great!

I'm glad that's sorted out. Just as well I didn't relieved I didn't show you the Cleon Special version I'd also come up with... :cool:

Updating Wild Cat Working Draft.

I've given it a thrice-over to check the stats, and corrected a couple of errors from when we lowered the Dex (I forgot to lower the rake's attack bonus to +4 and the Lesser Wildcat's Hide to +15).

Everything else checked out, so I'll Upload it to the CC.

freyar

Sure.

I guess the falcon is the first of the real-world ones. Do you or [MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION] have the original stats? I'd probably downgrade a hawk slightly and swap the talons to something that sounds more bludgeoning.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
In the Monster Manual II (1983), falcons are part of the "Falcon (Hawk)" entry, which is broken into "Small" and "Large" variation. Assuming that the "Small" stats apply to falcons:

Frequency: Rare
No. appearing: 1 or 2
Armor class: 5
Move: 1" / 36"
Hit dice: 1 minus 1
% in lair: 30%
Treasure type: See below
No. of attacks: 3
Damage/attack: 1/1/1
Special attacks: See below
Special defenses See below
Magic resistance: Standard
Intelligence: Animal
Alignment: Neutral
Size: S (2-3' wingspread)
Psionic ability: Nil
Level/XP value: I/15 + 1/hp

In the Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (1989), the falcon is now part of the "Hawk" entry, under the heading of "Small (Falcon)":

Climate/Terrain: Any land subarctic to tropical
Frequency: Rare
Organisation: Pair
Activity cycle: Day
Diet: Carnivore
Intelligence: Animal (1)
Treasure: See below
Alignment: Neutral
No. appearing: 1-2
Armor class: 5
Move: Fl 36 (B)
Hit dice: 1-1
THAC0: 20
No. of attacks: 3
Damage/attack: 1/1/1
Special attacks: See below
Special defenses Nil
Magic resistance: Nil
Size: S (2'-3')
Morale: Unsteady (6)
XP value: 65

Exactly the same stats as these appear again in the Monstrous Manual (1993) entry, but with less descriptive text.

Cleon

Legend
In 3E terms, a falcon's basically just the SRD Hawk with fly 80 ft. (good) instead of 60 ft. (average).

Does it really need more?

I suppose we could do a "Large Hawk" that's intermediary between a Hawk and and Eagle, if you wanted.

Anyhow, I was more interested in the "non real world" birds on that list, like the Kingfisher of Krynn or the various giant versions of regular birds.

Hmm, don't we already have a conversion of the Boobrie? Or am I mixing that up with a similiar bird.

Remove ads