Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm ok with the feats as listed, but I guess it should get another one. Power Attack? Seems like a reasonable standard choice for this.

Cleon

Legend
I'm ok with the feats as listed, but I guess it should get another one. Power Attack? Seems like a reasonable standard choice for this.

Well its attack modifier isn't that spectacular for the likely Challenge Rating, so Power Attack may just end up with it missing a lot.

Maybe Improved Multiattack so it gets +8 to attack with its tentacles?

Hold on a second though - what happened to its Armour Class? I thought we'd settled on a natural armour bonus for it.

freyar

And it looks pretty good! Did we have more for this thread? I don't mind wrapping up some other monsters before re-starting this one unless there's immediate demand, actually.

Cleon

Legend
And it looks pretty good! Did we have more for this thread? I don't mind wrapping up some other monsters before re-starting this one unless there's immediate demand, actually.

There are some other monsters in the original source but I'm fine leaving them for a while.

If Oryan77 (or anyone else) is desperate for a particular conversion they can always pipe up and ask!

Oryan77

Adventurer
Awesome! My group is still running through this adventure. They will be encountering the Kytons next down the road. Any chance getting a start on the Kyton, Lesser and the Kyton Chainless? Between the two, I'd like to get the Chainless Kyton first. Whichever one is easiest to start with first is fine by me though.

Cleon

Legend
Awesome! My group is still running through this adventure. They will be encountering the Kytons next down the road. Any chance getting a start on the Kyton, Lesser and the Kyton Chainless? Between the two, I'd like to get the Chainless Kyton first. Whichever one is easiest to start with first is fine by me though.

Sure, whichever of the two you and freyar prefer. It makes little difference to me.

If we don't finish the CC conversion in time you can always use my homebrew. I have a suspicion what we come up with won't be wildly different from it:

Cleon

Legend
Chainless and Lesser Kytons Original Stats

Here's the relevant sections of the original adventure:

Chainless Kyton
Of course, being kept in a room locked up alone or with a body’s friends is one thing—being trapped with a kyton or two who were captured by the kamerel is another. Captured kytons can simply will themselves to die—leaving behind nothing but a pile of chains and foul-smelling ichor—but an individual kyton may wait to see what’s in store for him before he chooses that option.

Stripped of its chains, a kyton has no special abilities or weapons—except that it can still unnervingly take the appearance of a viewer’s departed loved one or friend. That won’t stop a bloodthirsty kyton from attacking fellow prisoners anyway if he’s able. A trapped kyton could, conceivably, also attempt to control the chains he once wore (if they are within 20 feet) and use them to attempt to batter down the door or attack his captors. *SNIP*

KYTON, CHAINLESS: AC 2; MV 12; HD 8; hp 48; THAC0 13; #AT 2; Dmg pummel; SA control and even attack with any chains within 20 feet; SD +2 or better weapon to hit, immune to cold, regenerate 1 hit point a round; SW Recover from wounds inflicted from blessed or holy weapons at half normal rate, flee from blessed items; MR 25%; SZ M (6’ tall); ML fanatic (17); Int low to avg (5–9); AL LE; XP 6,000.

Chainless Kyton
Lesser kytons wander around the city conducting their strange business and carrying out tasks that only their own twisted minds can truly understand. “Normal” kytons are their more common, mature counterparts that patrol Jangling Hiter, serving as both law enforcement and civil defense. The city has no codified law system—the kytons act as enforcer, sentencer, and executioner on the spot. Further, the kytons quietly travel around the city collecting money and favors from all within Jangling Hiter as the price for “protection.”

KYTON, LESSER: AC 2; MV 12; HD 4; hp 24 each; THAC0 17; #AT 2; Dmg 1d8/1d8 (chains); SA control and even attack with any chains within 20 feet; SD +1 or better weapon to hit, immune to cold, regenerate 1 hit point a round; SW Recover from wounds inflicted from blessed or holy weapons at half normal rate, flee from blessed items; MR 10%; SZ M (6’ tall); ML fanatic (17); Int low to avg (5–9); AL LE; XP 2,000.

Originally appeared in Tales From the Infinite Staircase (1998) in Tale 7: Reflections

Cleon

Legend
For comparison purposes, the adventure gives the following stats for a standard 2E Kyton:

KYTON, NORMAL: AC 2; MV 12; HD 8; hp 48; THAC0 13; #AT 2; Dmg 1d10/1d10 (chains); SA control and even attack with any chains within 20 feet; SD +2 or better weapon to hit, immune to cold, regenerate 1 hit point a round; SW Recover from wounds inflicted from blessed or holy weapons at half normal rate, flee from blessed items; MR 25%; SZ M (6’ tall); ML fanatic (17); Int low to avg (5–9); AL LE; XP 6,000.

It's worth pointing out a couple of things:

(a) Tales From the Infinite Staircase gives all Kytons Low to Average intelligence (Int 5-9) despite the official 2E Monstrous Compendium entries giving Kytons Intelligence Low (Int 5).

(b) A kyton that is entirely wrapped in chains has the same AC as one that has no chains at all!

(c) Chainless and Lesser Kytons have the same special abilities as standard Kytons, except that the Lesser Kyton's chains do less damage.

freyar

Well, neither of these is that different from a standard kyton. I guess we should start with the chainless version then move to the lesser one.

I guess the chainless kyton is literally just a normal kyton without the chain melee attacks. So I see two questions to ask: (1) Does "pummel" mean a nonlethal unarmed attack, or do we give it something like the Improved Unarmed Strike feat or a slam? (2) Do we make any more changes to make it more distinguishable? Honestly, I'd like to drop the dancing chains ability, but it's pretty clear they're supposed to have that.

Remove ads