Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
Add the immunities listed and SR, too.

I'll agree to standard blindsight and the fear aura, too.

Updating Maturing Baatorian Working Draft.

We need a value for the spell resistance, which was originally a rather unimpressive 15% Magic Resistance. Shade's SR guidelines would give it either CR+12 (for being a Devil) or CR+4 (for having 15% MR).

Maybe split the difference and give it somewhere around CR +8? That'd probably put it somewhere around Spell Resistance 12.

Hmm, I like SR 13 for them. Would that be OK by you?

Rather than standard devil characteristics, do baatorians have standard characteristics?

As far as I know the Maturing Baatorian in that Infinite Staircase adventure is the only published stats for a Baatorian. I believe there are a few mentions of their existence in Planescape sources but nothing mechanical that covers details such as standard abilities. They are a very obscure beings.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
SR 13 would be just fine!

It seems odd that we have a few different versions of alternative demons (qlippoth in 3rd party stuff, obyriths, loumarae) but nothing on baatorians. You'd think somebody would have written something up. Just weird. Anyway, how about we modify the standard devil traits a bit to represent a difference between baatezu and baatorians? Maybe give it see in darkness, telepathy, immunity to acid, and resistance to cold or something?

Cleon

Legend
SR 13 would be just fine!

Updating Maturing Baatorian Working Draft.

It seems odd that we have a few different versions of alternative demons (qlippoth in 3rd party stuff, obyriths, loumarae) but nothing on baatorians. You'd think somebody would have written something up. Just weird. Anyway, how about we modify the standard devil traits a bit to represent a difference between baatezu and baatorians? Maybe give it see in darkness, telepathy, immunity to acid, and resistance to cold or something?

We've already got three immunities and I think that's enough. There seems little point in adding another immunity that isn't in the original entry.

That said, I would be OK adding some energy resistance to energy forms it doesn't have immunity to.

I favour giving it see in darkness but would forget about telepathy - the original monster only mewled incoherently, it didn't speak telepathically to them.

freyar

Ooops, I missed those immunities. And they're different than the devil immunities, so that's good. Dropping telepathy is ok.

Ready for skills and feats in that case?

freyar

Yes, to See in Darkness.

OK, 54 skill points = 6 at max. Spot, Listen, ... ? I don't have too many ideas for this one.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, to See in Darkness.

I'll try to remember to add it in the next update.

OK, 54 skill points = 6 at max. Spot, Listen, ... ? I don't have too many ideas for this one.

The Fiendish Codex Nupperibo has skills of Balance +5, Climb +7, Hide +5, Jump +1, Swim +7, so why not give it those those skills?

That Nupperibo has 5 maxed-out skills rather than the 6 of your Baatorian proposal, so we could either drop one of the Nupperibo's skills (Balance maybe?) and give it maxed-out Listen and Spot, only give it one sensory skills, or give it all seven skills (Balance, Climb, Hide, Listen, Jump, Spot, Swim) and not have every one of them maxed out.

Any preferences?

freyar

Hmm, let's drop Balance. So, then we'd have max ranks in Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot, Swim. Sound ok?

Remove ads