D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Cleon

Legend
Works for me...

OK!

First things first, Incorporeal Undead would seem to fit.

They have an "HTK: 12" listed but no HD. Twelve hits-to-kill would infer a 3 Hit Dice monster, but that means their THAC0 of 9 is way better than is normal for a creature of their power.

Since they have AC0 (= AC 20 in 3E), that suggests giving them a very good Dexterity and Weapon Finesse.

The rest of it seems to be:

A "Steal Spirit" power which involves them invading their opponent's body.

A Fear Aura power.

Ability to animate dead (as spell) if it has 8+ HP.

Gains DR X/magic or silver if it has 8+ HP.

Do we want to keep the 8+ HP qualifier to the powers or just give them to all the Foregathering Spirits?

I'm thinking we should compromise by giving them DR and animate dead as standard and note that Spirits weakened by long deprivation lose those powers.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Might be a good idea to repost the original stats here for easy reference.

I'll agree to al your suggestions. Frankly, I'd give the 8+ hp powers to all the foregathering spirits but give them some kind of positive/negative level mechanic for their "feeding." That could be the "deprivation" you mention.

I'm inclined to go with more HD, by the way. That steal spirit business could be ugly.

Cleon

Legend
Might be a good idea to repost the original stats here for easy reference.

I'll repost the stats.

I'm inclined to go with more HD, by the way. That steal spirit business could be ugly.

Me too. How about changing the "HTK: 12" to "HD: 12"?

EDIT: I've reposted the stats Shade presented. I didn't correct any of the typos, since I suspect they were in the original.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
FOREGATHERING SPIRIT
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 24"
FREQUENCY: Very Rare
HTK: 12
NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 1
THACO: 9
DAMAGE: 2-5
SPECIAL: Fear, Abosrption, Animation of skeletons and recently dead humanoids. Can be hit by only magical and silver weapons.
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Varies
INTELLEGENCE: Very
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Evil
SIZE: Medium

Foregathering Spirits are a form of undead which appear as a swirling yellow mist about the size of a man. When looking at the mist, each individual sees a vision that is so horrible, it cannot be described. The creature actually takes on the appearance of the character's greatest fears.

Foregathering spirits are formed by the merging of two or more human or humanoid spirits who died horribly agonizing deaths. The more spirits are combined when the Foregthering Spirit is formed, the more powerful the monster becomes. Each two souls that are combined to form the creature give it one HTK.

The Foregathering Spirit attacks by moving into the body of its victim. To do this, it must have a successful hit. Treat the intended victim as Armor Class 10, ignoring his/her actual armor class, but allowing for any dexterity bonuses. Once the Spirit has moved into the body, it does 2-5 HTK of dam- age per round. After six rounds inside the victim—or if the victim is reduced to 0 HTK—absorption of the victim's spirit is complete. The monster then adds another spirit to its total.

Once the creature is inside its victim's body, any attack against the Spirit must also be considered an attack against the victim. The same roll is used, and the victim has a chance to save depending on armor class. If spells are used, the victim must save vs. spells or be affected. The victim can counterattack the Spirit inside his body by rolling a natural 20 each round, which negates the Spirit's damage for that round, and causes 2 HTK of damage to the Spirit.

If any characters encounter a Foregathering Spirit, they must immediately save vs. spells or be affected by the equivalent of a Fear spell. The affected character will flee as far and fast as possible for 2-5 rounds.

When the Spirit reaches 8 HTK, it gains the ability to animate skeletons and dead humanoid bodies (as zombies). The skeletons and zombies must have complete frames or bodies, but the parts need not be connected. The Spirit has the power to reconnect the parts. It can animate one skeleton or zombie per round, up to a total equal to its HTK. Any animated creature that is "killed" may be re-animated two rounds later.

Foregathering Spirits are affected by normal weapons until they reach 8 HTK. Then, only magical or silver weapons will have any effect on them. Weapons studded with chalcedony do double damage. The Foregathering Spirit has a cumulative magic resistance of 10% for every two HTK, until it reaches a total of 70%.

A foregathering spirit may be turned by clerics and should be treated as an undead of the same HTK.

Originally appeared in Elven Banner (1985, Mayfair Games Role Aids #732)

Cleon

Legend
Could do that. I was thinking something a little lower, but I'm game for 12HD if you want.

Well it says it can animate skeletons and zombies equal in number to its HTK as per animate dead. To animate 12 zombies requires CL 12th, or CL 6th for a dozen skeletons.

Either of those CL would do for the HD.

Do you prefer 6 HD over 12 HD?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Probably. Might depend on how nasty we make that spirit drain attack. Why don't we provisionally say 6HD and reevaluate later?

Cleon

Legend
Probably. Might depend on how nasty we make that spirit drain attack. Why don't we provisionally say 6HD and reevaluate later?

6 it is then.

Incorporeal Undead I guess.

Shall we base their stats on any 3E Undead, such as a Wraith or Spectre?

Remove ads