D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed on the proposed skills, and I'd make the cones 30 feet.

Suggested feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Stealthy

Cleon

Legend
Agreed on the proposed skills, and I'd make the cones 30 feet.

I was thinking 20-foot, to imitate the original's 5-by-20 cones. I'll go along with 30-foot if you're both keen on it.

I'll Update the skills.

Suggested feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Stealthy

I wondered about all of those with the exception of Blind-Fight, but they just seemed dull. Problem is, it has little use for most of the more colourful feats.

The only other ideas I could come up with were the usual save-boosting feats an Hostile Mind.

EDIT: It's already got +20 Hide & Move Silently so I don't think it needs Stealthy. How about Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative and either Hostile Mind or Great Fortitude? :ENDEDIT

By the way, since we've stopped them being Incorporeal, should we consider giving it a Strength score?

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
A definite yes on the Str score. Probably nothing special, though, since it's Airy. Maybe 10 or 12.

Let's go with Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Hostile Mind.

Cleon

Legend
A definite yes on the Str score. Probably nothing special, though, since it's Airy. Maybe 10 or 12.

Let's go with Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Hostile Mind.

I was thinking something like Strength 5-6.

Surely it would be weaker than a average flesh-and-blood creature of its size? It's only a coherent cloud of sand, after all.

If we give it a Strength score wouldn't we need to put something back in its Attack line?

freyar

Str 6 is good. I was partially looking at the HD.

I don't think we need anything in the attack lines, though. A non-monk human without a manufactured weapon wouldn't have a listed attack either.

Cleon

Legend
Str 6 is good. I was partially looking at the HD.

Strength 6 it is then! Updated

EDIT: Oh, and we might as well go for Alertness, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative and Hostile Mind for the feats.

I don't think we need anything in the attack lines, though. A non-monk human without a manufactured weapon wouldn't have a listed attack either.

Wouldn't they get Unarmed Strike?

That said, I don't mind the sandman keeping its empty attack line.

Last edited:

freyar

Hmm, I think that unarmed strike isn't usually listed if it's the usual nonlethal kind. I mean, you don't usually put it on a character sheet or in NPC statblocks for someone with another weapon. And the silver dog doesn't have an attack line either. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, I think that unarmed strike isn't usually listed if it's the usual nonlethal kind. I mean, you don't usually put it on a character sheet or in NPC statblocks for someone with another weapon. And the silver dog doesn't have an attack line either. ;)

I'm OK leaving it out.

Challenge Rating, Treasure and Advancement?

They don't seem that dangerous, so CR5?

Advancement 9-13 HD (Medium); 14-27 HD (Large)?

Not sure about the treasure - incidental maybe, same as a Monstrous Spider, or perhaps they like gold dust and gems?

Remove ads