Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Weird effect, but I think I can go along with what you're talking about so far.

By the way, why aren't we using "all-around vision" like the xorn? That's the standard ability, and let's also recall that 3.5 doesn't have facing (except in optional UA rules).

Cleon

Legend
Weird effect, but I think I can go along with what you're talking about so far.

By the way, why aren't we using "all-around vision" like the xorn? That's the standard ability, and let's also recall that 3.5 doesn't have facing (except in optional UA rules).

I was just copying what the Neo-Otyugh redux used.

No objection to substituting it, although we might want to change the flavour of the Xorn's All-Around Vision. "A xorn’s symmetrically placed eyes allow it to look in any direction" won't fit if an Aurotyugh has an eyestalk like an Otyugh.

Something like:

All-Around Vision (Ex): An aurotyugh's flexible eyestalk allows it to look in any direction, providing a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. A xorn can’t be flanked.

That said, I'm just as happy with the current SQ.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Will my response be as surprising? ;)
Hmmm, that's a majority. :D

Here's a try at that softening attack.
Soften (Su): Aurotyughs soften any material they touch. When an aurotyugh makes a successful attack, the victim must make a DC 24 Fortitude save, or else their armor or natural armor bonus takes a -2 penalty for the following 10 minutes. If the victim possesses DR bypassed by any mundane material, the aurotyugh may choose to lessen that DR by 2 points instead. Alternately, an aurotyugh may touch any unattended object to reduce its hardness by 5 points for 10 minutes; magic items receive a Fortitude save to negate. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Either my Sarcasm check or Sense Motive check failed. Regardless, I am fond of sticking with the traditional all-around vision SQ.

As for soften, it looks a good start. I'm not sure the aurotyugh should decide whether DR or armor is reduced; I'm thinking it should either affect both at the same time, or soften armor first, and move on to DR on consecutive strikes.

Cleon

Legend
Either my Sarcasm check or Sense Motive check failed. Regardless, I am fond of sticking with the traditional all-around vision SQ.

Mayhaps I had a very, very good Bluff check? :cool:

As for soften, it looks a good start. I'm not sure the aurotyugh should decide whether DR or armor is reduced; I'm thinking it should either affect both at the same time, or soften armor first, and move on to DR on consecutive strikes.

I'd either have it affect both armour and hardness simultaneously or in a fixed sequence (e.g. hardness than armour).

I prefer the former.

Further, the victim shouldn't make a Fortitude check if it's only their equipment that's softened. The object struck might make a Fort save, though.

Also, I'm tempted to make it a save for half rather than save to negate.

How about this revision...

Soften (Su): Aurotyughs can soften any material they touch, including metal, stone, and hard living tissues such as bone or chitin. The aurotyugh can soften any opponent or object it hits with an attack roll. If the opponent is wearing any armor, the soften attack affects the armor. If the opponent is not wearing armor, or armor that has been completely softened by previous attacks, the opponent is softened instead. A living creature or magic item can negate the soften attack with a DC Y Fortitude save. For each successful soften attack, the target (or its armor) suffers a -X penalty to its armor bonus, hardness, natural armor bonus and any damage reduction that is bypassed by any mundane material. The effect last for 10 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about this revision...

Soften (Su): Aurotyughs can soften any material they touch, including metal, stone, and hard living tissues such as bone or chitin. The aurotyugh can soften any opponent or object it hits with an attack roll. If the opponent is wearing any armor, the soften attack affects the armor. If the opponent is not wearing armor, or armor that has been completely softened by previous attacks, the opponent is softened instead. A living creature or magic item can negate the soften attack with a DC Y Fortitude save. For each successful soften attack, the target (or its armor) suffers a -X penalty to its armor bonus, hardness, natural armor bonus and any damage reduction that is bypassed by any mundane material. The effect last for 10 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.

I like this revision.

Remove ads