Converting Greyhawk monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's downsize to Large. It can always be on the "big end" of Large (maybe start advancement to Huge immediately?).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's what we've got to go on...

and its special attack abilitity is that it softens hard things. Every time it hits, its opponent goes down one Armor Class (so +2 armor becomes +1, or a Wyvern with Armor Cass 3 goes to 4).

Taken literally, it reduces armor or natural armor by 1. I'm not sure I like the reduction of natural armor, though.

Personally, I'd expand it to reducing the hardness of any object it touches. If we want to expand it to reduce natural armor, I could see reducing material-based or "-" DR as well. I don't think it should reduce DR/magic, DR/alignment, or DR/epic.

The real question is whether the hardness reduction to objects should be permanent or temporary, and the duration of reduction for natural armor and/or DR.

Cleon

Legend
Taken literally, it reduces armor or natural armor by 1. I'm not sure I like the reduction of natural armor, though.

Personally, I'd expand it to reducing the hardness of any object it touches. If we want to expand it to reduce natural armor, I could see reducing material-based or "-" DR as well. I don't think it should reduce DR/magic, DR/alignment, or DR/epic.

The original monster could soften any form of armour, natural or artificial, so I'd carry that over for our conversion.

It should definitely also reduce hardness and (Ex) Damage Reduction. I'm wondering whether we should increase the amount it reduces.

Maybe allow a Fort save throw to reduce/negate the softening?

The real question is whether the hardness reduction to objects should be permanent or temporary, and the duration of reduction for natural armor and/or DR.

I'd make it temporary. 10 minutes or so would be enough.

Remove ads