Converting First Edition Monsters

Cleon

Legend

"Warm deserts" for Environment, same as Camels?

Organization: Solitary, patrol (2-5 on giant striders), band (5-20 plus 1-2 leaders of 4th or 5th level and 3-15 giant striders), tribe (20-40 plus 40-45 noncombatants plus 1-3 leaders of 4th or 5th level, 1 7th level chief and 5-30 giant striders)

Shade

Monster Junkie
"Warm deserts" for Environment, same as Camels?

Organization: Solitary, patrol (2-5 on giant striders), band (5-20 plus 1-2 leaders of 4th or 5th level and 3-15 giant striders), tribe (20-40 plus 40-45 noncombatants plus 1-3 leaders of 4th or 5th level, 1 7th level chief and 5-30 giant striders)

All that looks good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Alignment: Usually lawful neutral?

Level Adjustment: +1?

A typical hek stands 4 feet tall and weighs x to x pounds.

Automatic Languages: Common, Hek. Bonus Languages: x.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Alignment: Usually lawful neutral?

Level Adjustment: +1?

Yes to that.

A typical hek stands 4 feet tall and weighs x to x pounds.

They're described as being built like dwarves.

An average SRD Dwarf is 4'4" and 165 lbs (male) and 4'2" 135 lbs (female).

That works out to 119-129 lbs if a Hek is 4' tall and has exactly the same proportions.

However, that's way over the normal 50 lbs weight limit of a Small creature.

I think we're better off basing the size on the SRD Gnome (averages 3'5" and 45 lbs (male) and 3'3" 40 lbs (female), with a full range of 3'0"-3'8" and 37-48 pounds).

"A typical hek stands 4 feet tall and weighs 45 to 50 pounds?"

Automatic Languages: Common, Hek. Bonus Languages: x.

If I remember correctly, Hek speak a form of Common so ancient that modern folk usually can't understand it. Do we do anything with that?

As for other languages, I'm not sure they should have them - the Hek in the module haven't met any other people for ages, so haven't learnt how to speak with them.

I suppose we could give them a few elemental languages - Terran or Ignan would go with their desert environment, and Aquan with their worship of water.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like the 45-50 lb weight. Making them 120 lb would push them into the "short but stocky" Medium range, as you say, and I like Small for them.

Remove ads