Converting Al-Qadim creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Iron Will it is. I just like the image of a big snake tossing people around. :p

I'm ok with the proposed treasure, but where does it come from? The frost worm and remorhaz have no treasure, and the purple worm has 50% goods. I guess I'd probably rather go with none or a more incidental value. The serpent's not going to pick any treasure up.

Cleon

Legend
Iron Will it is. I just like the image of a big snake tossing people around. :p

I'm ok with the proposed treasure, but where does it come from? The frost worm and remorhaz have no treasure, and the purple worm has 50% goods. I guess I'd probably rather go with none or a more incidental value. The serpent's not going to pick any treasure up.

Well it follows the original, which had extremely good treasure for its stats:

Serpent, Teak
Treasure: B, Q (x10), S, T

Originally appeared in Al-Qadim: Ruined Kingdoms (1994)

The Teak Serpent also appeared in Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (1995) with basically identical stats. The only significant difference is the Treasure, which is:

Treasure: Nil (B, Qx10, S, T)

Those treasure types are as follows:

Type B:
1,000-6,000 copper pieces: 50%
1,000-3,000 silver pieces: 25%
200-2,000 gold pieces: 25%
100-1,800 platinum or electrum pieces: 25%
1-8 gems: 30%
1-4 art objects: 20%
Armor or Weapon magical items: 10%

Type Q:
1-4 gems

Type S:
1-8 potions

Type T:
1-4 scrolls

That's more like standard treasure plus double gems than the version in the rough draft.

The original MC entry does not explain why they have so much treasure - so why don't we make something up!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, in that case, I'd be happy with what you have proposed. ;)

Maybe they're like crows and just like shiny things? That would explain the paucity of items. It could be something like standard coins, double goods (all gems), 10% items or something.

Cleon

Legend
Well, in that case, I'd be happy with what you have proposed. ;)

Maybe they're like crows and just like shiny things? That would explain the paucity of items. It could be something like standard coins, double goods (all gems), 10% items or something.

Well I did wonder if they came up with the idea from The Valley of Serpents in one of the Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor, since that valley was full of diamonds.

However, I was thinking it made more sense if they collected the coins & gems - maybe they build shiny displays to impress mates? Furthermore, if they tend to reuse lairs, they could "inherit" the treasure of previous generations.

Remove ads